Marker Light Replacement

CaptPat

I’m replacing the front and rear roof line marker lights on my coach.  The originals were sealed with what appears to be silicone caulk—around the outside and over the screw heads. I don’t think the rubber gasket provided with the new lights will be sufficient to keep out the elements, so do I repeat caulking with silicone or is there a better option. What I use will need to be clear or dark colored, white really won’t blend in with the paint scheme.

TIA

Same issue when I replaced to LED.  I just removed it all the best I could and reapplied with new clear.  Lights are all still working with no leaks that I can tell.  Also added a tiny bit of dielectric grease to the connections while I was at it.  
I thought this was something the PO had done but it must have been the factories doing if others are chiming in with the same situation.  
I am also in the process of sourcing out complete replacements as I did find a couple of the lenses had small cracks.  I applied a small amount of silicone to the inside lens of those as well and smeared it flat the best I could.  

On this subject, I need to change my running lights also and would like to change them to LEDs. For those who have already done so, if you have a good source or LED replacement running lights please let me know.

2 hours ago, 1nolaguy said:

On this subject, I need to change my running lights also and would like to change them to LEDs. For those who have already done so, if you have a good source or LED replacement running lights please let me know.

I replaced my front and rear marker lights last winter, I used clear silicone sealer to reseal the fixtures, I removed the old lights and used a utility knife with a new blade to remove the old sealer around the removed lights, I had to actually cut the old light fixtures off. 
 These are the lights I used, https://www.etrailer.com/Trailer-Lights/Optronics/MCL32ATB.html

6FD03BE3-2245-40DF-82FA-8C3394B1824E.jpeg

0737939D-0B01-428A-AE86-64D38BB1348C.jpeg

8E8CF436-ECCC-4EE3-9BD9-BBF6B15BC3E8.jpeg

D7285178-77B1-4A34-B9B7-41E2E6CE8D2E.jpeg

• Like 1

2 hours ago, 1nolaguy said:

Make sure you check the DOT number to get the correct size.  These are what I bought to replace all of mine.  https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0113XWAR8/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

The mounting screws were so corroded I had to drill them out.  Mounted back with SS screws.  But what I liked about this LED brand was that it came with a heavy duty rubber gasket.  So no need for silicone once you clean and prep the surface.  

15 minutes ago, Bill R said:

Make sure you check the DOT number to get the correct size.  These are what I bought to replace all of mine.  https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0113XWAR8/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

The mounting screws were so corroded I had to drill them out.  Mounted back with SS screws.  But what I liked about this LED brand was that it came with a heavy duty rubber gasket.  So no need for silicone once you clean and prep the surface.  

Thanks Bill R, what is the DOT number? and where should I look for it?

5 minutes ago, 1nolaguy said:

what is the DOT number?

Department of Transportation (DOT) that identifies the style of light.  It should be stamped somewhere on the lens. Usually starts with the letters SAE (Society for Automotive Engineers).

12 hours ago, 1nolaguy said:

I found direct replacements (full set front and rear) at PDX RV LLC.

They are L14-0026 style lights that can be found at other places as well, like Amazon for slightly more.

While the new lights came with a rubber gasket I don't think it will be sufficient to keep out the elements long term, it doesn't seal completely around the screws for example.  Sounds like most are using silicone caulk to seal up around the lights.

Edited by CaptPat
add content

CaptPat sounds like you have the running light replacement installation well in hand. I replaced our front and rear running lights with LED's this past summer. As you noted; they are not well sealed by just the gasket.

I used a Black GE Silicone Sealant to seal all the edges of the running lights. Our front and rear end caps are a metallic black paint at the roof line, hence the Black Silicone Sealant  looks clean and nicely finished. GE makes their Silicone Sealants in a variety of colors, you should be able to find something in their range if your interested in this option. Malcolm