Engine Brake Problem or Different. Help Please!

HexNut, If it need to be cleaned or "unstuck" can I use engine or carb cleaner (spray) with the unit in place or do I need to remove it to soak it? I checked on Youtube and identified a lube by Pacbrake. Do you know of alternatives?

I found it easier to remove the unit and take it to my workbench to work on.  But, mine was seized and needed some serious cleaning.  I soaked mine in a homebrew recipe of half acetone and half transmission fluid.  It took quite a bit of soaking and working the flapper back and forth to free mine up.  In your case, I think I would take the actuator arm loose and see how tight the flapper is in the housing.  If it moves but is just tight, I would lubricate it in place and see if it loosens up.  If it does, you might avoid taking it off.  It was not difficult to remove, but it could be a problem if the clamp threads are rusted badly.  You will just have to play it by ear as you look at your individual situation.

Richard   

As far as a solvent to penetrate and loosen the shaft, carb cleaner would probably work as well as something like PB Blaster.  Both will vapor off rather quickly.  After you loosen it up, you will still need to lubricate it with some kind of high-temperature lubricant.  Getting it loosened up is the primary issue.

Richard

If you have a rear radiator, access should be rather easy from the bottom.  In fact it should be directly available on the drivers side of the engine.  My C9 powered coach has a side radiator and the access is much more difficult because of so much more stuff in the way.  

Richard 

On 10/16/2022 at 6:49 AM, Tom Cherry said:

If I read your post correctly, you said you left the Exhaust Brake ON AT ALL TIMES.  I would only point out that we have had a member that was told that by the previous owner.  He then did that and had to have the DPF replaced.  I would recommend that you contact Cummins Tech Support or an authorized Cummins Service Dealer.  The Exhaust Brake, per MY understanding, is to be used NORMALLY, but NO LEFT ON ALL THE TIME. 

YES, there are individuals that do so.  I rode in a tour bus with a seemingly experienced driver and was in the front seat. He was in stop and go traffic as we entered NYC and he left on the Exhaust brake for about 30 miles. 

PERSONALLY, I use mine frequently going downhills and when I approach an interstate exit.  In 45 MPH Suburban traffic, if it is somewhat heavy and the lights are prone to change quickly, I will leave it on.  I guess that I do use it a bit more often then others.  I recently had to replace the Carling Switch Operator (Exhaust Brake switch plastic "cover"). But I have not had any issues with my ISL 425 and It has almost 67K on it and when Frank MeElroy pulled the Insite data on my engine, there were no issues....that was around 50K or so.

Just passing this on.  Read the last comments on so from "Daryl".  Frank was helping him out over the phone and I contacted him also as we probably met a few times as we lived in the same small NC town and our paths would cross.  Daryl had the DPF replaced.  He found a REAL Cummins Dealer and had all the tests run. He drove back to NC from CO without any issues. He MAY have a hesitation or a Turbo Lag issue....but NOT the plethora of issues that the "Independent" shop quoted him. He is very happy and can address that locally. Both Frank and I talked to him during or at the end of his trip.

Thanks Tom, I will definitely try using the exhaust brake only as needed on my next trip.  I wondered why my cruise control was not working!  From what some are saying, it was because I had the exhaust brake on the whole time.  Maybe I will also get an increase in fuel economy as a bonus!  I will also try using Economy mode when practical.  

Carey

11 hours ago, 1nolaguy said:

Thanks HexNut. Are these generally easier to access from the top (through interior hatch) or from underneath? I am assuming they are similarly located for the CAT7 and the CAT9.

If you have an access hatch above the engine I would think it would be easier to access and work on. 

I lubricate mine at least once a year, more if I'm putting more miles on it.  I pretty much follow the lubrication guide on the guide that is posted in the download section.

I take the piston loose from the butterfly valve and exercise the valve both to better lubricate and make sure it is not any resistance in movement.

While I am working on the Pacbrake I also inspect everything else on the engine from turbo & connections to exhaust system.  Not sure what problems are common on a Cat 7 but I'd so some searches and concentrate on looking from them. 

Even though my manual says that I have a PacBrake, its just not there.  I have inspected it from above and below.  I definitely have engine braking, so am I to assume that I have a VGT?  If so, is there any maintenance required, or is there any way to lubricate it?  Seems like you would have to pull the turbo apart to lubricate anything.  Again, I have a 2006 5.9 ISB.

Carey

• 6 months later...

A little late to the party but I have a question.  so I read through all of the threads regarding the use of the exhaust brake and lubing them.  Some have a 3 position button, a Foot button?, and an on/off button like mine.  Mine is a 07 isl400, cummins care says I have engine compression braking,  so I attached a photo of the e brake.  

If I slightly lift up on the accelerator the engine lightly brakes, I take my foot off completely and it goes into major engine braking until I step on the accelerator. is this different front the foot button?.  not sure if mine works while on cruse but I am going to try it n see and I have never noticed of the gear display changes but I'll look.

Regarding lubing the ebrake, I would have to take the shaft off in ordered to lube it,  it will not move otherwise.  I have absolutely no issues and it works great.  I have never lubed it but after reading the threads I bought the lube.   

Are you taking it apart to lube it?

Thnx

ebrake.jpg