Weep Hole Covers

On 10/28/2022 at 5:23 PM, RoadTripper2084 said:

My buddy printed me a couple in PLA as that is what he had handy.  Do you think PLA will be strong enough?

I'm going to test fit them on Sunday.

Many thanks for posting the files!

PLA is not very UV or heat resistant and will likely warp or turn brittle faster than other filaments. However, if he did them for free for you, it is worth a shot to see how they hold up!

• 3 weeks later...

That’s awesome!  

What I didn’t count on is getting COVID last week and being out of action for a while.  I’ve run several in ABS before I got sick. 

I love the entrepreneurial spirit, and would prefer folks get them from your grandkids. Much better to support the entrepreneurial spirit of these kids!!!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Well, I got my weep hole covers in the mail today.  They look great and they fit great, however there is one issue that needs to be addressed before any can be shipped out.  The two "hooks" that go into the slots need to be "beefed up".  A number of them had one of the hooks break off as I pressed the cover into the slots.  I am so glad that I tested them before they shipped any of them out to you guys!  My son has already gone in and edited the STL file so that the hooks will be thicker horizontally.  I asked him to try 2 or 3 different thicknesses and send me 3 or 4 samples of each one.  We just have to find the right thickness that will give the hook enough strength not to break off while still allowing a tiny bit of flex so that it can be snapped into the slot.  We will figure it out.  Just be patient.  It will be worth the wait.  I've attached some pictures so you can see how they look.  (of course the hooks will be more substantial) 

Carey

whc_blk_frontview.jpg

whc_blk_rearview.jpg

whc_blk_faceside.jpg

whc_blk_backside.jpg

• Like 2

Carey, they look great!

Well Guys, it looks like "we have a winner"!  I got 3 different versions of the redesigned weep hole covers.  I tested about 16 of them and they are GREAT!  Not 1 of the 16 that I put on my coach broke a hook or had any issues at all.  They all fit like a glove.  My son beefed up the rear hook substantially.  It is now about 5/16" to 3/8" long.  The reason we wanted this this rear hook to be much stronger is because the rear of the cover is much more vulnerable to getting snagged by a rag or a brush when washing or drying the coach.  The front of the cover, with its 45 degree slant is not likely to be snagged by anything, so that hook is not as big (although it is a lot more substantial than the first version).  The way to install the covers is to insert the larger hook into the rear slot, slide the cover as far back as it can go. At that point the tip of the front hook will just start to fit into the front slot.  Place your thumb on the 45 degree slant and push in and back at the same time.  It will lock into place nice and tight.  

They are working on getting the new revision printed.  It is a time consuming process, so hang in there.  They will get everyone's order fulfilled in the order that they came in.  It takes about 5-6 hours to print about 20 of the covers.  I will be contacting you individually as your order is ready to ship.  The preferred payment options will be Zelle or Venmo.  If that doesn't work for you, don't worry, we will figure something out.

The covers will look exactly like the black ones a few posts up.  Only the size of the hooks (or tabs) will be bigger.

Thanks,

Carey

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Idoc57 said:

Well Guys, it looks like "we have a winner"!  I got 3 different versions of the redesigned weep hole covers.  I tested about 16 of them and they are GREAT!  Not 1 of the 16 that I put on my coach broke a hook or had any issues at all.  They all fit like a glove.  My son beefed up the rear hook substantially.  It is now about 5/16" to 3/8" long.  The reason we wanted this this rear hook to be much stronger is because the rear of the cover is much more vulnerable to getting snagged by a rag or a brush when washing or drying the coach.  The front of the cover, with its 45 degree slant is not likely to be snagged by anything, so that hook is not as big (although it is a lot more substantial than the first version).  The way to install the covers is to insert the larger hook into the rear slot, slide the cover as far back as it can go. At that point the tip of the front hook will just start to fit into the front slot.  Place your thumb on the 45 degree slant and push in and back at the same time.  It will lock into place nice and tight.  

They are working on getting the new revision printed.  It is a time consuming process, so hang in there.  They will get everyone's order fulfilled in the order that they came in.  It takes about 5-6 hours to print about 20 of the covers.  I will be contacting you individually as your order is ready to ship.  The preferred payment options will be Zelle or Venmo.  If that doesn't work for you, don't worry, we will figure something out.

The covers will look exactly like the black ones a few posts up.  Only the size of the hooks (or tabs) will be bigger.

Thanks,

Carey

As soon as we get settled in florida sometime next week I'll count what I need and get in touch with you.

Please include me…

I too am very interested. Black ones, of course. 14 on drivers side, 12 on passenger side. My coach is a 2006 Camelot PDQ40. 
If possible, 4 additional on each side for spares. 
I also much be interested in the files of the diagrams. I too have a friend that does 3-D printing. 

b2b40@icloud.com

Edited by BRBowers

10 hours ago, Donflem said:

I want to thank Dave V. I received and installed them today they fit great thank you for making them for me. 
Don

You're very welcome Don.

I have 10 Driver side and 10 passenger side completed. If anyone is interested, please PM me. I have strengthened the tabs also

Edited by DVerstra
added tab mod

On 10/19/2022 at 10:25 AM, Frank McElroy said:

To keep from loosing them, I ran a small bead of caulk across the top.  It stopped the rattle and haven't lost one since.

Likewise , I have basically done the same thing but with only a dab on each end where the clip fits into the slot. I haven't yet lost any of them since I added the dab of caulking.

On 12/2/2022 at 3:39 PM, Idoc57 said:

Thanks,

Carey

Would you please post the new file on the site?  My son has a 3D printer and willing be able to print mine.  Thanks.

Dan

• Like 1