2006 Camelot electrical and inverter issues

GypsyJo

I know this has been discussed before but I can’t find it and am in a state of panic. Sorry. Can you help me find where it says hope to reset my magnum inverter in my 2006 Monaco Camelot

Trying to dig up the written procedure now. Thought I had it in my archives and will after this.

There is a reset button on the side of mine. Nearly impossible to see where mine is installed. I had to turn off DC power to mine once and push the button on the side..

What is the nature of your problem?

Reset procedure

Edited by myrontruex

41 minutes ago, GypsyJo said:

I know this has been discussed before but I can’t find it and am in a state of panic. Sorry. Can you help me find where it says hope to reset my magnum inverter in my 2006 Monaco Camelot

I found what looks like fuses. Are they supposed to be in or out?

image.jpg

Yeah, those supply AC power inside. 

Even if the inverter is turned off those can get tripped because power passes through the inverter via those breakers. Strange both art tripped. Sounds like someone was trying to find a hot outlet and blew both of them at different times.

It is likely you have a 30 amp AC breaker in your main breaker panel that feeds the inverter. It is split between those two breakers. 

Yours seems to have a 30 amp breaker onboard but I still suspect there is one in the main breaker panel. 

My batteries are low now so I’m charging them with my generator. Might that be the issue with my inverter?  I replaced GFCI but it won’t reset so no power on the passenger side of the coach. 

First things FIRST.  The circuit breakers for for the 115 VAC OUT.  When they are tripped, you have had a short or an overload.  The Magnum will STILL charge the batteries.  BUT, if the Magnum needs to be "SOFT RESET", then here is how to do it.  

With the Genny Running....which means that you have INCOMING AC 115....and MAKE SURE THAT THE INVERTER CIRCUIT BREAKER is NOT TRIPPED....and closed.....

You hold the POWER BUTTON in for about 5 - 10 seconds.  That RESETS it.  That button, I THINK, is on the BACK SIDE of your inverter.  Where all the phone lines are....it is close by.  Once you RESET or HOLD that button in....the Magnum will RESET.  BUT, it will be OFF.  Push and HOLD the reset for 10 seconds.  THEN Wait about a MINUTE.  That will turn ON the Inverter.  Go inside.  Your Magnum remote should be showing charge and lighted up or when you push the METER button it lights up.

NOW....that is charging.....as your Genny is ON.

Next....then PUSH IN the TWO buttons or the ones sticking OUT.  These are mini Circuit Breakers.  When they are OUT....there is NO power.  The other one on the right, the 30, is the INCOMING Power.  It is hooked up to the power lead from the 30 Amp breaker in the main panel.

If those breakers will NOT set....then you either have a massive short in the wiring in the MH or the Inverter is TOAST. 

That's about all I can provide.... 

• Like 1

Thank you. I will try those steps again in the morning. I had tried those steps but now with genny running. Although the two buttons were not out when I have checked it. I will repeat those steps. Thank you so much. Hopefully I’ll have full power with that. 

17 hours ago, Tom Cherry said:

First things FIRST.  The circuit breakers for for the 115 VAC OUT.  When they are tripped, you have had a short or an overload.  The Magnum will STILL charge the batteries.  BUT, if the Magnum needs to be "SOFT RESET", then here is how to do it.  

With the Genny Running....which means that you have INCOMING AC 115....and MAKE SURE THAT THE INVERTER CIRCUIT BREAKER is NOT TRIPPED....and closed.....

You hold the POWER BUTTON in for about 5 - 10 seconds.  That RESETS it.  That button, I THINK, is on the BACK SIDE of your inverter.  Where all the phone lines are....it is close by.  Once you RESET or HOLD that button in....the Magnum will RESET.  BUT, it will be OFF.  Push and HOLD the reset for 10 seconds.  THEN Wait about a MINUTE.  That will turn ON the Inverter.  Go inside.  Your Magnum remote should be showing charge and lighted up or when you push the METER button it lights up.

NOW....that is charging.....as your Genny is ON.

Next....then PUSH IN the TWO buttons or the ones sticking OUT.  These are mini Circuit Breakers.  When they are OUT....there is NO power.  The other one on the right, the 30, is the INCOMING Power.  It is hooked up to the power lead from the 30 Amp breaker in the main panel.

If those breakers will NOT set....then you either have a massive short in the wiring in the MH or the Inverter is TOAST. 

That's about all I can provide.... 

I went through the steps that you said to do. As soon as I pushed the power button for 10 seconds, my generator went off. I continued through the steps and there is no change. The buttons were not out either. 

1 hour ago, GypsyJo said:

I went through the steps that you said to do. As soon as I pushed the power button for 10 seconds, my generator went off. I continued through the steps and there is no change. The buttons were not out either. 

Do the following,,,..

On the Magnum remote.  Are both green lights ON?  If not push the buttons on the bottom left and get both ON. If both on, the magnum is working.   If they are flashing or one is RED, you have an issue in the Inverter.  Try the microwave.  Does the clock flash or can you use it?  Is the inverter breaker on the main panel ON.  Is the 30 amp button on the magnum pushed in.  If no AC on Microwave, do this….  Recheck the pin breakers on the magnum.  All should,be pushed in.

Do you have 50 amp power at the campground.  If so.  Run one AC, turn the temp down to 60 deg, for about two minutes and make sure it is working.  Turn it off.  Repeat on the other AC.  

NOW. Restart the generator.  Let it run for 5 minutes or so. Do the same AC on for 5 minutes and then off and then the other.  

If BOTH the 50 amp and generator work, you have good incoming power.  You need that before you can get things started.

Now call Magnum.  425-353-8833.  Your issues are difficult to diagnose based on the posts.  You need help and instructions,  They will do this for FREE. They are good.

let them help you.  When convenient, post and let us know.  There is not much any of us can do without having you on the phone.

Good luck

21 hours ago, GypsyJo said:

My batteries are low now so I’m charging them with my generator. Might that be the issue with my inverter?  I replaced GFCI but it won’t reset so no power on the passenger side of the coach. 

Following up with her on landline this pm. Generator does indeed supply 110 volts to the converter/inverter and it charges fine. She thought the generator charges directly so is now aware that 110 volts must get to the Magnum and then it does the charging. 

Testing her inverter with the generator off shows it supplies power to the microwave, which also works on generator and shoreline.

Refer and fireplace do not work with either source of power. 

The EMS panel shows the Charger is NOT working on shoreline. So 110 volts from one leg or the other is not getting to the charger. 

So it appears there is two problems, at least. The portable surge protector shows things good at the post but I had her go to another post just to be sure and bypassed the surge protector at the same time.

So there could be an issue with the power cord reel, plug, or transfer panel. She is not aware of any transfer panel changes ever made. So that is suspect.

She has a plug in 110 tester only and no voltmeter. Oh yeah, outlet in bay is not working either that supplies power to her portable freezer. 

So suspecting two problems. The generator does not seem to supply power to those circuits that pass through the inverter/charger. I suspect there is a malfunction in the inverter. Simple as a burned wire etc. 

At this stage waiting for a neighbor with a voltmeter she is becoming familiar with the location of the transfer panel and the access panel on the inverter.

The inverter is a black colored model ME2012 and does not precisely match my information. Hopefully she can find the access cover for that.

The issue began with the fireplace running. Her refer and freezer in the bay appear to be on the same circuit so I suspect the internals of the converter have an issue.

This can be easily bypassed if that is the case of course to get her on the road to warmer weather. The shoreline issue bothers me the most at this time because of the history of transfer panels having issues. 

AC panel connections on inverter.png

Transfer switch appears to be ok.

Generator is providing both legs to the xfer panel and it comes out on two legs.

Shoreline comes in on one leg and goes out on one leg. One leg missing. 

Done for the day.

-----------------------------------------------------------

As suspected there are two problems. Shoreline missing one leg. Post is fine, surge suppressor is fine. Tried a 30/50 amp adaptor to try to fool incoming power. That is supply power to the Inverter/converter so at least while plugged in at rv park the batteries are being charged. No go. 

This does not solve the refer/fireplace/and bay outlets not working. Using extension cords right now to bypass of course.

When OP is available with a voltmeter again we will go to the Magnum and check the outputs on the terminal board as previously posted. 

We worked intently on the transfer panel because of the history of them. Connections were solid and no sign of problems or smells. Great news.

___________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________-

I suggested at this point to cut the cord off about a foot from the connector and install a new one. It is an inexpensive test and we know the plugs do fail. Tearing apart the power cord reel is not an option right now of course, so sometimes just tossing a part at something can solve the one problem. Not something I normally do but it does not look like there are a lot of choices. 

****  Perhaps swapping the L1 and L2 shoreline inputs so power at least gets to the Magnum when on shoreline, This should send power to the Magnum and keep the thing charging weather on generator or shoreline. 

________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Power is getting to the Magnum when the generator is running. Because there is power on both house legs. That power travels through the AC breaker panel through a 30 amp breaker which is a common setup in these models. It goes to the Magnum and then splits inside between the two pop out breakers on the sides. Power is passing through one leg but not likely the other based on her symptoms. The microwave is lighting up with the generator but not shoreline. So 110 is passing through the Magnum. The microwave comes on when the Magnum is in the inverter mode.

One side note. It seems the inverter is turned on every time the power is removed and back on again. That is, one does not have to push the "inverter" button on to get it to invert. This seems strange but I am not looking at that setup. Heck, maybe mine does it too. Problem with that setup is the batteries could be drained when you really don't want the inverter to come on.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The refer was changed to a residential some time ago and wiring changes made then. There could be three problems in the path in total but I am not ready to go there yet. Voltage readings inside the Magnum need to be taken. 

________________________________________________________________________________________________________

So the question is, how to get the op back on the road for the three day trip on her next journey. Refer needs power. Hopefully finding a dead output on the inverter/magnum will allow moving the output wires from the good circuit to the one that is bad. Just a swap or simply combining of course. But the fireplace needs to stay off until this is sorted. Just too much power demand. This will still require the generator to be running but it will also have the Magnum charging away.

There is some head scratching for me and not knowing what "rewiring" was done takes a lot more time than normal to sort.

It may take getting measurement in the AC breaker panel as well. Who knows what "load shedding" changes might have been made, even though the load shedding shows they are all enabled.

The question with that is why does the coach always show 50 amp, when one leg is dead ? I forgot to mention that. It does not show 30 amp when using an adaptor. It still shows 50 amps.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

For now, extension cords are running the important stuff. But the charger does not run without the generator running so it must be started each day. The op has it on AGS with quiet times programmed.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Everyone on the forum has provided great information but something told me this was not going to get resolved by resetting the inverter and the symptoms just were not adding up. Once in awhile I will volunteer to work over the phone and play "20 questions".

The OP had a great neighbor with a voltmeter. Thanks to David for doing the hard work and to the OP for being so darn patient with me asking the same questions over and over. 

Right now I am digesting all the data and making drawing to solidify my findings.

Cheers

Edited by myrontruex

Myron,  while running my generator,  I discovered something else. My fireplace works with the generator as well as washer and dryer. 
My trip southwest will take 3 days to get there and we stay in Marathon for 8 days. I don’t think neighbors will appreciate my genny running all that time. I may need to pick up a charger to use while parked. If I haven’t got it resolved .  I am scheduled to arrive in Ocala North on Nov 15th. 

1 hour ago, myrontruex said:

Transfer switch appears to be ok.

Generator is providing both legs to the xfer panel and it comes out on two legs.

Shoreline comes in on one leg and goes out on one leg. One leg missing. 

Done for the day.

-----------------------------------------------------------

As suspected there are two problems. Shoreline missing one leg. Post is fine, surge suppressor is fine. Tried a 30/50 amp adaptor to try to fool incoming power. That is supply power to the Inverter/converter so at least while plugged in at rv park the batteries are being charged. No go. 

This does not solve the refer/fireplace/and bay outlets not working. Using extension cords right now to bypass of course.

When OP is available with a voltmeter again we will go to the Magnum and check the outputs on the terminal board as previously posted. 

We worked intently on the transfer panel because of the history of them. Connections were solid and no sign of problems or smells. Great news.

___________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________-

I suggested at this point to cut the cord off about a foot from the connector and install a new one. It is an inexpensive test and we know the plugs do fail. Tearing apart the power cord reel is not an option right now of course, so sometimes just tossing a part at something can solve the one problem. Not something I normally do but it does not look like there are a lot of choices. 

****  Perhaps swapping the L1 and L2 shoreline inputs so power at least gets to the Magnum when on shoreline, This should send power to the Magnum and keep the thing charging weather on generator or shoreline. 

________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Power is getting to the Magnum when the generator is running. Because there is power on both house legs. That power travels through the AC breaker panel through a 30 amp breaker which is a common setup in these models. It goes to the Magnum and then splits inside between the two pop out breakers on the sides. Power is passing through one leg but not likely the other based on her symptoms. The microwave is lighting up with the generator but not shoreline. So 110 is passing through the Magnum. The microwave comes on when the Magnum is in the inverter mode.

One side note. It seems the inverter is turned on every time the power is removed and back on again. That is, one does not have to push the "inverter" button on to get it to invert. This seems strange but I am not looking at that setup. Heck, maybe mine does it too. Problem with that setup is the batteries could be drained when you really don't want the inverter to come on.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The refer was changed to a residential some time ago and wiring changes made then. There could be three problems in the path in total but I am not ready to go there yet. Voltage readings inside the Magnum need to be taken. 

________________________________________________________________________________________________________

So the question is, how to get the op back on the road for the three day trip on her next journey. Refer needs power. Hopefully finding a dead output on the inverter/magnum will allow moving the output wires from the good circuit to the one that is bad. Just a swap or simply combining of course. But the fireplace needs to stay off until this is sorted. Just too much power demand. This will still require the generator to be running but it will also have the Magnum charging away.

There is some head scratching for me and not knowing what "rewiring" was done takes a lot more time than normal to sort.

It may take getting measurement in the AC breaker panel as well. Who knows what "load shedding" changes might have been made, even though the load shedding shows they are all enabled.

The question with that is why does the coach always show 50 amp, when one leg is dead ? I forgot to mention that. It does not show 30 amp when using an adaptor. It still shows 50 amps.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

For now, extension cords are running the important stuff. But the charger does not run without the generator running so it must be started each day. The op has it on AGS with quiet times programmed.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Everyone on the forum has provided great information but something told me this was not going to get resolved by resetting the inverter and the symptoms just were not adding up. Once in awhile I will volunteer to work over the phone and play "20 questions".

The OP had a great neighbor with a voltmeter. Thanks to David for doing the hard work and to the OP for being so darn patient with me asking the same questions over and over. 

Right now I am digesting all the data and making drawing to solidify my findings.

Cheers

Thanks for jumping in and doing the one on one.  Couple of points or comments since you have the lead on this.

i would not cut off a foot of the shore cord.  Whack it off right at the end of the plug.  My plug was stellar….right up until the gas strut barely pushed out a bay door and tapped the plug.  Not kidding….an infant with small hammer could have done more damage,  I did all the work, but chose not to tear into the reel.  Don’t know exactly where she is now.  But from her past posts, she WAS near Marion where Tom Johnson CW is.  Power Grip Camco plug 50 A CW item 33985. BUT they don’t show stock, but probably do have it

Next up is the Inverter not “pushing”.  My experience is that a real, assuming the inverter will get power through the AC, does need to b e reset.  In addition, the setup, menu item 1, search watts, needs to be disabled.  Past that, she can call Magnum and they will go over the entire setup..  

The plug can be put on now.  Later on, After a month or so, the cover can be removed and the terminals retightened and then seal or pot the interior with Dow Corning #5 (Amazon).  That will be just as good as the molded one.  Let’s HOPE the plug is the issue.  As time goes on, we are seeing more failures.

As to the Res Refer, once the alligators are under control, then the proper plug could be found.  Odds are, the CFCI a on that unit has two “loads” or lines out.  Moving the one that goes to the icemaker outlet will solve issues and keep gremlins from getting the upper hand in the future.

The one concern that I have, reading  all of her past posts and issues, is how to improve her MH IQ.  This one Magnum issue raises a red flag, to keep her from spending more money. It would be good if you could PM one of the YouTube videos on properly maintaining her house bank with DI Water and knowing how to properly refill or see or understand the correct fill level,  just a thought.

Thanks again for jumping in….

Tom 

11 minutes ago, GypsyJo said:

Myron,  while running my generator,  I discovered something else. My fireplace works with the generator as well as washer and dryer. 
My trip southwest will take 3 days to get there and we stay in Marathon for 8 days. I don’t think neighbors will appreciate my genny running all that time. I may need to pick up a charger to use while parked. If I haven’t got it resolved .  I am scheduled to arrive in Ocala North on Nov 15th. 

GypsyJo,

Myron has been great.  I just gave him a couple of points to consider.  The issue is NOT charging your batteries.  You have lost one of the power connections coming into the MH.  ODDS ARE….and I had this, it is inside the molded plug.  But the only way to find that out, EASILY. without tearing into electrical connections that might be OK, as Myron suggested in his summary, is to just replace the end.  CW sells them,  I put a PN and item number in my post.  It is a $20 or so part.  That is the FIRST thing.  You only have HALF (think 2 circuits) coming into the MH from the CG pedestal.  When you run your Genny, you have both.  The plug is the most likely suspect….and easiest to eliminate.  Your Magnum is working.  The fireplace circuit is due to a bad incoming power cord.  Your batteries are probably recharging OK.

Talk to Myron snd he will explain this a little better.  You are very fortunate that he has the time and inclination to help you out.  Talking one on one and being able to test or experiment or observe beats days of back and forth posts,

He will help you,  good luck…

28 minutes ago, Tom Cherry said:

Thanks for jumping in and doing the one on one.  Couple of points or comments since you have the lead on this.

i would not cut off a foot of the shore cord.  Whack it off right at the end of the plug.  My plug was stellar….right up until the gas strut barely pushed out a bay door and tapped the plug.  Not kidding….an infant with small hammer could have done more damage,  I did all the work, but chose not to tear into the reel.  Don’t know exactly where she is now.  But from her past posts, she WAS near Marion where Tom Johnson CW is.  Power Grip Camco plug 50 A CW item 33985. BUT they don’t show stock, but probably do have it

Next up is the Inverter not “pushing”.  My experience is that a real, assuming the inverter will get power through the AC, does need to b e reset.  In addition, the setup, menu item 1, search watts, needs to be disabled.  Past that, she can call Magnum and they will go over the entire setup..  

The plug can be put on now.  Later on, After a month or so, the cover can be removed and the terminals retightened and then seal or pot the interior with Dow Corning #5 (Amazon).  That will be just as good as the molded one.  Let’s HOPE the plug is the issue.  As time goes on, we are seeing more failures.

As to the Res Refer, once the alligators are under control, then the proper plug could be found.  Odds are, the CFCI a on that unit has two “loads” or lines out.  Moving the one that goes to the icemaker outlet will solve issues and keep gremlins from getting the upper hand in the future.

The one concern that I have, reading  all of her past posts and issues, is how to improve her MH IQ.  This one Magnum issue raises a red flag, to keep her from spending more money. It would be good if you could PM one of the YouTube videos on properly maintaining her house bank with DI Water and knowing how to properly refill or see or understand the correct fill level,  just a thought.

Thanks again for jumping in….

Tom 

GypsyJo,

Myron has been great.  I just gave him a couple of points to consider.  The issue is NOT charging your batteries.  You have lost one of the power connections coming into the MH.  ODDS ARE….and I had this, it is inside the molded plug.  But the only way to find that out, EASILY. without tearing into electrical connections that might be OK, as Myron suggested in his summary, is to just replace the end.  CW sells them,  I put a PN and item number in my post.  It is a $20 or so part.   This is precisely what I suggested to her but may not have put in writing very well.That is the FIRST thing.  You only have HALF (think 2 circuits) coming into the MH from the CG pedestal.  When you run your Genny, you have both.  The plug is the most likely suspect….and easiest to eliminate.  Your Magnum is working.  The fireplace circuit is due to a bad incoming power cord.  Your batteries are probably recharging OK. The fireplace does not work on generator or shoreline. Missing incoming shorline L1 or L2 is not that issue. The generator is sending power down both house lines. Hopefully she has time to get a plug installed tomorrow if work time permits. And that would eliminate one issue. 

Talk to Myron snd he will explain this a little better.  You are very fortunate that he has the time and inclination to help you out.  Talking one on one and being able to test or experiment or observe beats days of back and forth posts,

He will help you,  good luck…

Thank you Tom. I am learning so much from Myron. I am 2 hours from CW but can call and make sure they have the part before making the drive. 
I ran my generator last night for a while to finish a load of laundry that was still in my machine and tried my fireplace. It did come on   .  I have microwave, washer and dryer, fireplace and power from one outlet Drivers side bedroom.   
Heat pump works on shore power as well as the bedroom outlet. 

Ah ha, new clue. The fireplace was not previously coming on but this clue adds up better now. I know how hard it is to keep symptoms straight when swapping from generator to shoreline, then swapping shoreline past a surge protector, then moving the shoreline to a post much further away.

This is why I had over five pages of scribbles last night. Once my bain settled down those notes were cleared up and as an interim test/partial fix I suggested swapping the L1 and L2 incoming wires. This is a very simple thing to do and would light up many of the circuits in question.

Not knowing the "modifications" mentioned by the OP from the previous owner things can get complicated quickly. 

From my RV I have experienced a bad path inside my Magnum. It was a solder connection on one of the pop-out circuit breakers on the inverter. This is for someone that might benefit from this post in the future. I have had a bad transfer switch. Yes the IOt-?? .. I lost shoreline completely but generator worked for everything. A simple bypass allowed shoreline to supply power while waiting for a new part.

Then a really tough one was having a connection come apart in a junction box buried deeeep below a pile of wires and plumbing. I had to use a signal tracer to find that one. It was a simple wire nut situation. 

Now to really confuse things there is a GFCI along the edge of my kitchen counter. It is hard to see and even harder to remember it is there. The Ah Ha moment after it bit me in the butt the second time had me making a label in plain site for future reference. 

My fireplace is/was controlled by a remote. The remote box was buried Deeep as well and chasing that down after removing the fireplace was no joy. The remote box is in the landfill as the company said to toss it. They had many issues with them so they opted to get rid of that option.

Then there is the GFCI outlet along the hall next to a small cabinet that holds stuff. That outlet is/was hard to remember where it was located and that it could trip as well and some GFCIs do not play well with modified sine wave inverters. 

The OP has changed a GFCI that will not reset and now knows they will not reset unless they have power to the inputs. 

As I remember this clue she gave me I must remind her after the shoreline is fixed and hopefully that GFCI works again that it is very easy to miswire those darn things.

If there is a Walmart or Target nearby they often have the repair plugs for the shorelines. No need to chase one down at a CW.

One of the strange clues is that the 50 amp is showing on the display panel even though one leg is not getting through.

There could be a sneak path allowing enough leakage to confuse the situation. I need to refresh my memory on how the panel knows the shoreline is 50 amp or 30 etc. Need more coffee first.

As I digest even more. It is possible the wiring changes made by the P.O. Took into account that they did not want to run the refer on the modified sine wave inverter. The op may assume but be mis-informed on weather the refer actually runs on the inverter. 

In many cases like this, "fixing the obvious first" often clears up other mysterious problems. That obvious thing is the broken shoreline. 

Once shoreline is working, then moving on to the GFCI might start things working. But that is a quick check of course. 

I'm hoping there is not any problems with the Magnum.

When the tech installed the refrigerator, he said he was making sure it goes through the inverter. As I traveled from Alabama to NC the inverter kept the fridge and freezer running. 
i am heading to town to pick up a tester so I don’t bother me neighbor so much. I will look for that 50 amp plug as well.