UNBELIEVABLE Member “BACKYARD” Repairs & Feats & Knowledge

11 minutes ago, myrontruex said:

Just some useless information on my "2008" dpf engine.

The cover on mine is red and there is a filter beneath  the full length. Not cheap either. I suspect many people don't even realize there is one there that needs to be replaced. 

I replaced that crankcase filter about 3yrs ago, and could have easily run the original for several more years.

I don't know if not overfilling the oil level has something to do with it, but I suspect it does.

I purchased my 2002 Newmar MountainAire 4370 from salvage auction in Las Vegas.  I could not find transportation to bring it home to Michigan.  Drove to Missouri and stopped by ColawRV and picked up the large body parts that were known to be needed from the two pictures I had purchased the RV from.  Made phone calls during the whole drive to find a place to work on it, and Landall flatbed to that location once found.  When I got there three days later, it was in much worse shape than what I expected.  Spent a month to the day sleeping in the super distressed and dirty RV working on the outside during the day, and inside at night.  Drove it back to Michigan towing my Durango on a trailer I purchased in Vegas.  The Durango was filled to the brim with the scraps of wood recovered from the bedroom disaster.

Seems like the RV was towing a large trailer that must have gotten smacked in the rear by a semi.  The trailer hitch was sheered off and pushed through the oil pan and took out all hydraulics, cooling lines, oil lines, trans cooler, etc.  All had to be replaced in Vegas.  My host Johnathan connected me with most all of the Truck parts and salvage hot spots in Vegas.  I now visit Johnathan every chance I get when I visit Vegas.

I drove the RV back to Michigan and took a month off to heal my hands and to get caught up with life again.  I then started to rebuild the interior bedroom, refabricating most all of the cherry furniture from rough stock I bought here in Michigan.  After that was done, it was Spring and I was able to tackle the body work / paint on the outside.

Once it was usable (first trip was Michigan to Destin Florida with the family and a friend's family), I started doing the upgrades of TVs, dashboard head unit, audio system, and adding my automation control system.  Most recently fully automating all of the plumbing systems.  Next step is to automate the climate control systems.

This exploit is detailed on another RV forum. A huge thread with tons of participants.  I have attached a couple of pictures here for fun.

As you can tell, I am a gluten for punishment but get lots of satisfaction of getting the job done.

The last picture is from the Newmar Hoots rally in Tennessee a few weeks ago...Getting a little use out of the investment!  Got a chance to meet some awesome fellow RV'rs and tell stories.

image.jpeg.ec76ad1b57beba42816a66ccb5925576.jpegimage.jpeg.51623f22a5a5a0a117b20da6e1675777.jpegimage.jpeg.c34a1586d2007788243d605a362f5363.jpeg

drivehome_small.jpg

Auburn_small.jpg

Headlight_primer_small.jpg

backleft_painted_small.jpg

BaggageDoors Temp_small.jpg

rearcap_remove_small.jpgimage.jpeg.e5f4cee44515c1b04a29433ef14037d0.jpeg

rear_wall_small.jpg

Night_rightside_small.jpg

RidgeNewmars02_Li.jpg

Edited by DavidL
  • Like 2

Guest Ray Davis
1 hour ago, DavidL said:

This exploit is detailed on another RV forum. A huge thread with tons of participants.

David, that's a great post.  I think I remember the thread over on IRV2.  A link to it would be nice, I know we would all love to read it.

3 minutes ago, Ray Davis said:

David, that's a great post.  I think I remember the thread over on IRV2.  A link to it would be nice, I know we would all love to read it.

Hey Ray,  I will be posting more on RVForums.com.  I am tired of getting banned from iRV2 forum for discussing my hobby.   So, not interested in sending them traffic.

Just need to find some time...  Thanx for the feedback!

Here's a link to the in process plumbing upgrade

Edited by DavidL

2 minutes ago, 96 EVO said:

What's your hobby?

Hi 96 Evo, My hobby is automation and control systems that became my business.  Today we do sportsbar / restaurant / entertainment complex media control systems as the core.  We will soon be launching our new SmartRemote that will definitely find it's way into homes, RVs, Boats as a super easy to use remote for all the media and systems.

The Plumbing thread leverages my myServer 6 control system to make is super easy and intuitive to understand how to do the necessary steps to use the systems and to winterize.  I just winterized my coach and it took about 10 minutes 🙂 

Like I mentioned, the next step is to simplify the A/C heat system.  The RV OEMs just assume that people will learn all about the subsystems and how to use the Aquahot (mine is a Hydrohot), the heat pump, the electric heat strips in the Aquahot, the motor heat, the load shedding, the A/C front and rear systems, the dashboard air and heat, the generator, all in concert with each other depending on your docking status, whether you are moving, what the ambient temp is etc.  Not to mention but there is NO current temp display on any of these silly systems....so this is in need of being simplified to do the "If / Then / Else" logic for you.

So, my hobby is figuring out how to make this stuff easy.  I have made the investments in learning about the systems, how they work, how they should work and how people interact with them and the core software that melds them all together.  Maybe that ends up getting productized.  Just depends on how it turns out and how easy / difficult it is to install.

21 minutes ago, 96 EVO said:

And IRV ban's you for talking about that :classic_blink:.

Yup.  Several times.  If I say the words "I can't talk about that"....I get banned.  silly.  They apparently don't want my contributions even though my threads are some of the largest and most popular ones on their site.  So moving on to friendlier sites.

I am somewhat rare that I was able to convert my passion / hobby into a living.  But at it's heart, I just enjoy being a DIY'r and sharing the stories and helping others tackle their challenges.  When someone gets that flipping thing working, I enjoy reading about their success and what it took for them to get to done.

My kids hear me say "I don't care what you do as long as it's good for society, that you can pay your bills, and that you LOVE what you do."  The Trifecta.

Edited by DavidL