Coolant Tubes or Lines

Go to solution Solved by 10Boomer,

Was under my coach yesterday and noticed that the coolant tubes are starting to corrode. I was curious if anyone else has had this issue and did you replace the tubes? If so, I am looking for part numbers, availability and source? Thanks Rich 

20221022_131246.jpg

20221022_131255.jpg

Yes, I replace all my coolant tubes and CAC tubing, all in SS with required bungs and valves or drain/bleed valves. It requires u to remove and package up and send to company. They are located In Pennsylvania, great folks. I’m currently getting ready to drive off on our next leg if our journey south to Yuma AZ. I can supply the contact info when I get settled. Ping me just in case I forget, you know how meet and greet happy hour can get!

• Thanks 1

I got over 20 years out of my original steel tubes and just replaced them this fall before a cross country trip. Stainless is nice but steel was good enough for me since I don't think the m/h has another 20 years left in it. If you do that you can get a local shop probably to do the bends and bungs for you or if you weld you can just buy the bends and bungs and do it yourself. It will be much cheaper and turn around should be pretty quick as well.

On 10/23/2022 at 8:11 AM, DavidL said:

Looks like surface rust.  I would drain, remove, wire wheel, prime, paint, reinstall, add coolant, burp coolant to fix.

I agree with David. Looks like surface rust, I would do as he says with the wire wheel and paint with POR 15. This is amazing paint, for those not aware of it get loose scale of and paint. Dry's like iron. I brush on, use cheap chip brushes from Harbor Freight so you can throw away. Word of warning, clean the channel where the lid seals when closing or you will cut the lid off to reuse the rest off the paint. That is how hard it cures. Good luck, Don

• Like 1

1 hour ago, 10Boomer said:

Here ya go, great folks!

https://www.bandhindustries.com/

let me if you have questions. 

Just for kicks, what tubes did you have them build for you and what was the cost?  Do you have pics of yours?  Just curious on what they generally charge.  I suspect it wasn't cheap because it takes a fair amount of time to measure, bend, drill, weld, pack, ship small custom projects like this.

And, if the interior of the pipes aren't getting corroded from the inside, the OP doesn't have much of a problem.  Antifreeze has anti corrosive ingredients to keep that from happening.  He just needs to check the progress of the exterior rust which today, looks minor.

Edited by DavidL

Mine were a little different; I did a complete radiator, CAC, hydraulic and a/c cooler swap out, along with ALL steel pipes, CAC piping along with all hoses, clamps etc.  The coach lived in Alaska previously so it been a long task  I had about 12 total pipes of various sizes  

12 hours ago, DavidL said:

Just for kicks, what tubes did you have them build for you and what was the cost?  Do you have pics of yours?  Just curious on what they generally charge.  I suspect it wasn't cheap because it takes a fair amount of time to measure, bend, drill, weld, pack, ship small custom projects like this.

And, if the interior of the pipes aren't getting corroded from the inside, the OP doesn't have much of a problem.  Antifreeze has anti corrosive ingredients to keep that from happening.  He just needs to check the progress of the exterior rust which today, looks minor.

POR-15 is very good stuff. It's easy to use and it stops rust in it's tracks.

Trick with the can, put a layer of Saran wrap over the can before installing the lid. That will allow easy opening next time.
Also, keeping it in the refrigerator will prolong it's shelf life.  I have a small fridge in my shop just for keeping paints, caulks and adhesives in.