Roadmaster spare tire carrier

Well jim i watched the vidio of this carrier, near as i can tell it tottaly managable with one person. In its upright position its locked an steadfast, however when you need it you unpin this handle extension out the top so when you start to lower it you have a long lever then simply walk the tire to the ground, looks easy peasy. However one of my major concerns relates to how does the spare handle the heat from the engine? Does it dry out the tire? Do i buy a new tire or simply a used one? I have been reading all the input from everyone and i like the idea of carrying just a rim in the lower basement , so all someone needs to do is bring a tire. However i still have concerns as what to do with the flat one??? I am sure like everything i do will require some more research before i pull the plug but this is all great morning coffe conversation thoughts. Like always hearing from everyone is empowering and thought prevolking as to the operational success of owning (or sharing with a bank) one of what i concider my home on wheels and a hobbie with which always keeps me engauged in so many ways. Thank you all, an am looking forward to meeting you all on the road around a campfire someday👍😎

Not nerve racking for me.  IMO, you cannot carry everything to be prepared for anything.  It takes up valuable space and weight especially if you are a full-timer.  90% of what I carried to be prepared I did not use.  Roadside insurance is the other option.  If you do not have time to wait, you are living in the fast lane.  I always had faith the the break down prevented me for encountering a disaster down the blvd.  Life is what you make it, one day at a time.  

I'm not going to carry a jack big enough to lift this monster so a wheel wouldn't do me a lot of good.

I do kind of wish I'd have saved one tire from when I had the tires changed just in case I had a flat and whoever roadside assistance sent out had a hard time finding the right size. But then I think if I didn't trust them enough I had to change them, should I trust them for a spare?

Edited by FishAR

• 3 weeks later...

I purchased this product for our trip to 2017 trip to Alaska. It worked very well, but I  had an issue with the upright developed a small crack, but in typical Roadmaster fashion they sent me a new carrier in Anchorage that had been modified so that problem would never happen again. I was glad I had the spare but we are never headed to Alaska again and I would give the unit along with the rim and a mounted tire to anyone passing through Cheyenne, Wy.

I ran the Goodyear tires that came with the coach for 6 years.  Never had a problem with them.  I went to Josam's.  Barry put their balance masters on the front.  We full timed in our coach for 6 years when we decided to purchase our house.  It is hard for me to wrap my head around all the problems other's had with Goodyear tires.