Paint for interior window valences ??

What kind of paint can be used to paint the cloth covering on window valences?  Do you have to get "fabric paint" or can standard latex paint be used?

If fabric paint is required what are some good sources?

We'll take any advice you have on applying paint to the fabric!

Thanks!

Latex paint for drywall is typically very thick.  It will try to fill the grain in fabric that will change the texture of the fabric.

Use fabric / plastic paint for fabric.  Home Depot / Lowes paint department (spray cans).

Depends on what look you are going after.  But Latex on fabric looks like a major mistake.

My daughter is a National Board Certified Art Teacher and does a lot of “unique” craft and restoration projects…..some when I am asked to lend a hand, is often met with “Are you crazy?”.  But she has decorated and created a lot of amazing things.

One of her resources is “Goggle”.  I did that; “.fabic paint on window valances”.  The hits were fascinating.  Pinterest seemed to be the most focused, but there are many articles and reviews.  However, the majority were for painting curtains.  If you can successfully paint curtains, my logic would be, then Valances should be a piece of cake.  

EDIT……CURIOSITY.  DIFFERENT search approach.  Use the following Google search phrase.  LOTS of hits and projects and sagas and videos.

RV WINDOW VALANCE PAINTING 

The above may answer all of my practical, as a “helper” questions….

The caveat is where do you paint them?  In place? Removed?  I have quasi restrung two blinds and removal of the larger valances is sometimes a bit perplexing and not for those with minimal DIY skills.  However, many members, over the years here and on the original Yahoo site are very adept at that.  

I also don’t know the application method.  Logically, brushing on would or could be the simplest in that you do it in place.  Then masking of edges and being able to roll under and get good coverage on the edges would be simple.  Airless spraying or aerosol would involve a whole lot of taping and such.  But you can use an artist’s brush to touch up the edges without anyone noticing.

Many of my daughter’s wall stencils and cabinet refinishing and furniture projects are WIP.  In that she picks out a base coat and an overcoat or wiping or accent stain/wash and then does a test panel.  Then the whole job.  She has about a TWO in THREE record.  In that for every three projects, she has to redo or choose a different base or wipe coat that satisfies her.

My practical side would say find a fabric similar to what is on them.  Paint/apply your final coat(s) there.  Then use painter tape and push pins and “casually” upholster one valence and look at it for a week or so…..then make the call.

The one saving Grace, you can always reupholster the entire valance if you are disappointed

The other option is to do just that.  Take off the fabric, use as a pattern and do that yourself.  My wife is a good dressmaker and seamstress.  But sewing reupholstering is child’s play.  An air compressor and a cheap stapler and some patience is all that is needed.  I have done a lot of seat cushions and such and they turned out nicely.

Just some “macro” thoughts.  Good luck.  Whatever you do, pictures are always great and feedback.

Good luck

Edited by Tom Cherry
Additional resources

Here's a thread on IRV2, person did a complete rebuild of a wrecked Monaco.  The person is very talented, look at post #1084 for what he used.

https://www.irv2.com/forums/f115/just-purchased-wrecked-2004-camelot-pdq-big-project-444980-78.html

I know others have replaced the fabric with wood of the same kind in their rig but getting the wood to match can be a trick. 

As an upholsterer and someone who has worked with and sewed fabric for 40 years I will add my comments.

Cloth Fabric is never painted, it is dyed. Painting a cloth fabric is never a good idea. Even dying fabric can give you some crazy outcomes. Because of all the various fabrics out there, each one has its own properties. Cotton, wool, polyester are just a few and each one can have different outcomes when dyed.  

My suggestion is to remove the valances, strip off the old fabric and then head to Joann's or Hobby Lobby and buy the fabric of your choice. Most valances are slightly padded using what is called in the trade " scrim ". It is simply a very thin piece of foam. It is glued onto the wood then covered with fabric. The nice thing about recovering valances is rarely do you have to sew. You simply measure, cut, stretch, glue and staple it down. Painting cloth fabric is the last thing you want to do. I have never done it nor would I attempt it.

As an aside, and not to hijack this thread, I do miss upholstery work. There was always something about being alone in my shop with the machine, fabric, foam while music played in the background. I loved the craft and the creativity it offered not to mention the challenges. Oddly enough, I only did one RV related upholstery job - recovering a dash. I did a lot of other work, mainly marine interiors, canvas, golf carts, motorcycle seats, you name it. I will probably go back into woodworking and upholstery when I retire................ Whenever that happens. I miss my alone time in my wood and upholstery shops. 🙂

boatinterior1.jpg

Mojo Seat 5.jpg

Golf Kart Seats.jpg