Disc Brakes

Coming home from a recent trip I noticed a squeal at times coming from the front when applying the brakes. I have looked over the site and found a lot of information about drum brakes but from what I have read I believe I have disc brakes on the front…..is that correct?  I just hit 70000 miles so if I have disc brakes maybe it’s time to get it checked. I’m not sure of the longevity of disc brakes on these rigs. 

Mike, my 06 Dynasty has front dics brakes with 100+K on them with lots of brake pad left.

RV owners seldom need to replace pads or shoes, however the noise could be another issue that if it is concerning I would have it checked. We're you driving in a lot of rain?

Edited by Dr4Film

2 minutes ago, Georgia Mike said:

Coming home from a recent trip I noticed a squeal at times coming from the front when applying the brakes. I have looked over the site and found a lot of information about drum brakes but from what I have read I believe I have disc brakes on the front…..is that correct?  I just hit 70000 miles so if I have disc brakes maybe it’s time to get it checked. I’m not sure of the longevity of disc brakes on these rigs. 

While I cannot attest to you having disc breaks, having worked at Les Schwabs for a few years outta college, I can see a few things that might cause a squeal given the time it’s been and sitting in between. 

I just pulled a wheel off a friends jeep a few weeks back while out over landing. Disc brakes need to have the slides lubed, and the metal that is on the back of the disc can come loose, or become dry and cause a squeal.

I lubed the slides, and put copper anti seize on the back of the disc pads and squeal was gone. 

When installing new pads, I routinely put duck tape on the back of them. This will keep the squeals and rattles away

hope this helps 

Right side,left side,both sides?may need more details,disk on the front, right side applies as a parking brake on mine,if it sits for long periods that parking brake will stick when I am applying the brakes,regular lubrication as in a spray ,spray into the holes/pins that the brake travels on,flashlight from outside of the rim you will see holes on each end of the caliper,outside and inside of wheel. Spray in the holes not on the pads or rotor, works for me ,over 100k and brakes are like new, only use the brakes at stops, engine brake for everything else. 

Hope it is a simple as that,wheel bearing checked ?

Wayne 

1999 Signature ceaser 

1 hour ago, WayneC said:

Right side,left side,both sides?may need more details,disk on the front, right side applies as a parking brake on mine,if it sits for long periods that parking brake will stick when I am applying the brakes,regular lubrication as in a spray ,spray into the holes/pins that the brake travels on,flashlight from outside of the rim you will see holes on each end of the caliper,outside and inside of wheel. Spray in the holes not on the pads or rotor, works for me ,over 100k and brakes are like new, only use the brakes at stops, engine brake for everything else. 

Hope it is a simple as that,wheel bearing checked ?

Wayne 

1999 Signature ceaser 

It is my understanding that the Park Brake is on the rear dually wheels with springs which require a specific air pressure in the air brake system to release the Park Brake.

Are you saying that your coach is different?

That is correct in regards to rear wheels,if you ever have the front end off the ground, with the backs applied, drivers side will roll freely and passenger side will have the brake applied.

Hope this clarifies what I am stating

Thanks

Wayne 

1999 Signature ceaser 

1 hour ago, Ivan K said:

Lift the suspected wheel, rotate it and feel and listen for dragging. If so, the wheel needs to come off for inspection. Here is an extreme case when sliders get stuck and left unattended. 

20221010_140703.jpg

Great picture Ivan,exactly what I was trying  to explain 

Thanks

Wayne 

1999 Signature ceaser 

27 minutes ago, WayneC said:

That is correct in regards to rear wheels,if you ever have the front end off the ground, with the backs applied, drivers side will roll freely and passenger side will have the brake applied.

Wayne, so you are saying that you have a spring brake dual chamber on your front passenger wheel? Sound interesting but I do not have that, just a small  (type 20 I think) single can.

54 minutes ago, Ivan K said:

Wayne, so you are saying that you have a spring brake dual chamber on your front passenger wheel? Sound interesting but I do not have that, just a small  (type 20 I think) single can.

I am drawing a blank right now,would have to have a look again, but with both wheels off the ground, rear wheels chocked so it doesn't move,you can rotate the drivers side and passenger side with minimal effort, when I pull the plunger to set the brakes it will apply the brake to the passenger side. That side will stick if I park for 6 months, it will release but start to drag after approximately 5 miles,so I keeps the pins well lubricated, it is crazy how many of these coaches they made and how different each one is, my Ceaser has a galley slide and queen bed slide with a full walk in closet that we use for a bedroom for our young son.it is a great rig. Love the old school mechanical 500 Cummins. 

Wayne

1999 Signature ceaser 

I doubt you have maxi brake on your steering axle unless previous owner screwed up. Easy to check just check the brake chamber size. Maxi pot is double the size of of a regular brake pot as it has the air side and the spring or parking brake side. If someone has installed the wrong pot on the steering axle you should remove as you don't want it to come on if air pressure gets low, will be very hard to steer. For those that say brakes don't want to release after sitting for a while it is likely the shoes have rusted to the drum. 

Your parking brakes doubles as an emergency brake. Going down a hill and find yourself without brakes, pull that knob, and your drive axle brakes will be applied by spring power.

Their not going to install one on one side of your steer axle! That would either send you off the road, or into another lane of traffic!

Sounds like you have a sticking front caliper. Why it would stick harder with the emergency / parking brake on, is beyond me!

22 hours ago, WayneC said:

I am drawing a blank right now,would have to have a look again, but with both wheels off the ground, rear wheels chocked so it doesn't move,you can rotate the drivers side and passenger side with minimal effort, when I pull the plunger to set the brakes it will apply the brake to the passenger side. That side will stick if I park for 6 months, it will release but start to drag after approximately 5 miles,so I keeps the pins well lubricated, it is crazy how many of these coaches they made and how different each one is, my Ceaser has a galley slide and queen bed slide with a full walk in closet that we use for a bedroom for our young son.it is a great rig. Love the old school mechanical 500 Cummins. 

Wayne

1999 Signature ceaser 

Wayne,

As others have said, the previous owner may have installed the wrong actuator on the right front.  This could be a very dangerous situation if you lose your air pressure while driving.  The right front brake will be applied and probably cause a hard pull to the right.  I would carefully check this and remove the caliper if you have the wrong one.

49 minutes ago, Larry Laursen said:

Wayne,

As others have said, the previous owner may have installed the wrong actuator on the right front.  This could be a very dangerous situation if you lose your air pressure while driving.  The right front brake will be applied and probably cause a hard pull to the right.  I would carefully check this and remove the caliper if you have the wrong one.

Larry you are correct in the dangerous situation however it is not the caliper that is the brake pot that would require removal and replacement if it is the issue. I feel that is what you meant. Don.

Don,

You are correct it's not the caliper that needs replacing.  It's the actuator or as on the Bendix site air chamber.  I am sure air pot is the common name that is used.  

6 hours ago, Larry Laursen said:

Wayne,

Thanks Larry

I will definitely investigate/research in regards to the passenger side front coming as part of the parking brake system. 

Wayne 

1999 Signature ceaser 

1 minute ago, Ivan K said:

I can't imagine installing a spring brake by mistake, it would require an additional air line to make it work (unless permanently caged) and that would have to be intentional. I'm sure there is a simple explanation. 

There is, this guy is mentally exhausted and probably should not have been commenting on the parking brake,in regards to lubricating the slides yes,I had to go back into service note and what Larry said was correct, that was the caliper that was sticking.why exhausted, racing in Ironman Tempe Arizona on November 20,2022, days are long training, was enjoying having coffee and jumping in on the thread's,  so in saying that,no front park brake,keep the slides lubricated,and get some rest Wayne.

Thanks

Wayne

1999 Signature ceaser 

Had a scary occurrence yesterday with our 04 Windsor.  Running on a flat road about 15 miles into our trip.  Smelled hot brakes, pulled over and could feel front left wheel was fairly warm.  Drove another two miles without touching the brake to get to a safe spot.  Pulled over and left front brake is smoking and bursts into small flames.  I was able to put it out quickly and spent the next 8 hours waiting for a tow truck to tow us 16 miles to the shop.  This will be expensive but it could have been much, much worse!

Interested to know more about those Meritor helper springs?

1 hour ago, Oregon04Windsor said:

Had a scary occurrence yesterday with our 04 Windsor.  Running on a flat road about 15 miles into our trip.  Smelled hot brakes, pulled over and could feel front left wheel was fairly warm.  Drove another two miles without touching the brake to get to a safe spot.  Pulled over and left front brake is smoking and bursts into small flames.  I was able to put it out quickly and spent the next 8 hours waiting for a tow truck to tow us 16 miles to the shop.  This will be expensive but it could have been much, much worse!

Interested to know more about those Meritor helper springs?

Glad you got the flames out in time!

Well, the helper springs were eventually recommended by Rockwell/Meritor, mainly for front disk brakes eventhough I had that issue with drives.  But we are talking strictly about Rockwell/Meritor ADB 1560 or 1760 disk brakes. If you have different kind, it's likely not applicable. I am attaching a picture of all the slider parts involved in rebuild. Our awesome member, Van Williams, machined the bushing drivers for me since these are impossible to find, thanks Van! If you indeed need the springs, there are 2 per package, enough for one caliper. Let me know if you need more info.

IMG_20221105_171954706.jpg

20221006_162700.jpg

This is what ADB 1650 looks like on front axle

20221105_175251.jpg

Edited by Ivan K