One of our Slide’s won’t go in all the way

Go to solution Solved by BillDeb45,

One of our living room slides on our 2004 Windsor won’t go in. It starts and then stops after going in a little bit. The bay doors are all closed properly and the other living room slide goes in, so does the bedroom slide. 

Also, the backup camera decided to stop working too. 
We have to move it to another spot by tomorrow so your help is appreciated.

Thanks

JUST some things to do....

YES the above says 2003, but it probably works for 2004.  Download it.  Look in the REAR RUN area and find the Slide Control Box.  That is in the picture.  May look a little different, but it should be there.  Pull one wiring connector or plug off.....then inspect for corrossion and then replace it.  Repeat for ALL FOUR.  That way you know you have a good connection.  Make sure that they all are seated.  I DO NOT know where the connections are to the Slide Motor.  If you can find that Pigtail under the slide or wherever....do the same.  

NO JOY.  Then the next is to SWAP Slide Switches.  Look on page 5.215 of your manual.  Use a piece of masking tape or anything to put a temporary label on each switch.  Label the sw as to TOP and Which One.  The switches easily pop out.  Push UP on the bottom or use a small screwdriver or knife and gently lift up.  Then it should move out a little.  Then do the same on the top.  You need to get them OUT. They have snap tabs and are usually easy to manipulate up and down and then in and out. 

Now. Label the wires on each switch.  P (passenger) or D (driver)....  So use this P TOP 7 P M (Middle) and P BOT.  Do the same for the driver.  NOW after all 6 wires are labeled, SWAP the switches.  That MIGHT do it.  We have had folks recently with sticky switches.  Get the Slide in.  If this does NOT work, then there is probably an issue with the board or maybe the balky slide's motor has a short or there is an obstruction or the motor is heating up and drawing too much current.  All these need to be a TECH FIX...   

If the above works, move to the other site.  Purchase some ElecTRONIC (not ELECTICAL) contact cleaner.  Walmart or Target or some auto supply houses.  Clean the balky switch and put it back on the other slide.  TEST.  You do NOT have to pop it back in.....just test while hanging out.  If it WORKS....GOOD TO GO.  Do some searching here for SWITCHES.  There are several posts and you can find the replacement switch.

That's the only simple things to do....

You might recheck the inhibitor switch for the bay door.  Maybe the movement of the slide is enough for the inhibitor switch to loose contact. 

On my Windsor the wiring harness for the motor is close to the motor.

Last time I was trouble shooting my slide problem I used a 6 amp battery charger to move the slide in/out to make sure it wasn't the motor. 

Ultimately I found one of the inhibitor switches had come apart and was shorting out blowing the fuse.  That was a head scratcher because visually I didn't see a problem but as soon as I touched it the thing flew apart.  Luckily I had a spare.  I've since bought some male to male splices so I can bypass the inhibitor switches in a pinch.

Guest Ray Davis

Have you looked for something on top of the slide or maybe under it.  A flashlight will help see from inside as well as outside. Outside you can pull the rubber wiper seal down to see under.  Use a wrench or something to see if the arms are movable on the slide locks.  Look at the rack and pinon gears for something there.

When the slide stops, does the motor seem to still be trying?  I think you have something binding, especially if it is still trying.

I was having a problem closing my raised floor slide. Turns out that the moving slide parts needed to be lubricated. My 05 was the first year for the Ambassador to be on the raised rail, 8 air bag chassis, similar to the chassis of the Endeavor.

Gary 05 AMB DST

Edited by Gary 05 AMB DST
correct description

• 2 weeks later...

We are getting ready to leave RV park and all the slides in our motorhome went in like usual except the one on the passenger side, living room. It will go in a few inches but then it stops and we can hear clicking sound when slide button is pressed but nothing happens. Any suggestions appreciated. 

4 hours ago, BillDeb45 said:

We are getting ready to leave RV park and all the slides in our motorhome went in like usual except the one on the passenger side, living room. It will go in a few inches but then it stops and we can hear clicking sound when slide button is pressed but nothing happens. Any suggestions appreciated. 

I don't think you meant to mark this plea for assistance as the Solution.  I think that signals that the answer you flag IS the solution... 

Something similar happened on my bedroom slide and it was a plastic gear that cracked and had to be replaced.  I'm unclear whether our not that could be your problem.  I don't know the details of your year/model/slide.

• Solution

Thank you I had to push it in from the outside while my wife held the switch. We are getting it looked at this week at TalinRV. 

Thank you I had to push it in from the outside while my wife held the switch. We are getting it looked at this week at TalinRV. 

• 4 weeks later...
On 11/2/2022 at 6:54 AM, Ray Davis said:

Have you looked for something on top of the slide or maybe under it.  A flashlight will help see from inside as well as outside. Outside you can pull the rubber wiper seal down to see under.  Use a wrench or something to see if the arms are movable on the slide locks.  Look at the rack and pinon gears for something there.

When the slide stops, does the motor seem to still be trying?  I think you have something binding, especially if it is still trying.

I concur.  In my case an empty water bottle on the floor, unseen, was a sly devil.  When I took the slide in, if rolled up between the slide and my (N/S facing) Night stand.  When I ran it out the bottle wedged between the wall and the slide facia.  The slide stopped 4 inches short of open.  Like a dummy I kept going.  Fortunately the only damage I causes before I wised up was popping the Oak Facia Facade off and I was able to clean it up and Glue it back to the rear edge of our bedroom slide.   LESSON ----"If something seems to be off<<---- STOP BEFORE IT BREAKS"

On 11/14/2022 at 7:05 AM, BillDeb45 said:

Bill,

How about some feedback on the slide.  Folks want to know.  Thanks.

15 hours ago, BillDeb45 said:

The slide motor is not working properly. Talin did not have a replacement part

Thanks to all

bummer.

Post a picture and a model number (Vendor....Lippert?) and such.  Folks have found a lot of "WILL WORK PARTS"'

OK.... A little research in our Parts List.  

2004 Windsor - Power Gear # 523518 and 522176 (could be either one)

From the ETrailer site.....  the correct replacement for your Power Gear 522176 is # LC383745.

Again from the ETrailer site....The correct replacement slide out motor for the Power Gear Slide Out Motor 523518 on your 2004 Holiday Rambler Endeavor is the Lippert Components Slide-Out Motor part # LC383741. I spoke with my contact at Lippert to confirm this.

I would TRY Northwest RV supply.  I did a little more googling.  This is the Listing they have for the 523518 Lippert number....

https://www.nwrvsupply.com/product/power-gear-slide-out-motor-383741/

OK....they ain't cheap.....but if they work.  SO, get us a picture or whatever.....Best I can do.....

Edited by Tom Cherry
Added Potential Replacement PN

There are switches at each cargo door under that slide, I had 2 of the switches go bad at the same time. Monaco teck told me to unplug the switches and in stall a 5 amp. blade fuse in the wires that I unplugged from the switches and insert the fuses, I did all 3 doors and the slide worked find. When I got home I replace all three of the Cole-Hersee switches (9269-X) with new ones. You should be able to go in the cargo compartment and look up and see the slide motor there is a lever on the end of the motor turn the lever to release the electric motor brake then using a large wrench you can manley bring the slide in, BUT REMEMBER TO TURN THE BRAKE LEVER BACK LOCKING THE MOTOR SO THE SLIDE WILL NOT COME OUT WHEN YOU ARE DRIVING.