Tapping LP system for a grill?

Scotty Hutto

Several of my friends have taps on their LP systems for grills, fireplaces, and other accessories. Looking at my owners manual, it refers to “exterior gas line hook up prep”. On my Diplomat, behind the water heater is a black iron pipe with a shut-off valve, then about a 2” section of pipe that is capped. 

1) Can anyone confirm if that is the “hook-up prep”?
6E72C1F5-97AD-494E-8BC2-2BDFEDE77EF4.jpeg.42e0a955136f731b6b5df04eff0ccbaf.jpeg

2) If so, isn’t that on the low pressure side of the regulator?

Thanks,

Scotty 

I have the same setup except its in my second bay just before the water heater bay. Yes this is the prep for external gadgets.  I assume it is on the regulated system.

• Like 1

Referencing my Beaver, it is indeed on the regulated low pressure side all ready to tap for most low pressure BBQ grills and fire pits that would use a standard 20 lb tank (not the grills that use the small 1 lb green bottles).  I simply added "Mr Heater" quick connectors and the appropriate Mr Heater hoses - I have three hoses so I can combine as desired to move the grill/fire pit many many feet away...  Connectors and hoses easily found from Ace, Northern Tool, Home Depot, etc.  As I recall, they had a built in safety high flow shut off just in case...not typical air line quick connectors....

• Like 1

I re-purposed the propane line to my fridge, now that I have a residential.

I put a quick connector, with ball valve, in the bay on the curb side.

I will try to remember to take a pic later today...

• Like 1

Yes that appears to be the prep. It is low pressure , 11” h2o. You need only add quick connect. But you will have to remove the regulator on your grill or fire pit. Both 1/4 and 3/8 lines work  fine.  I have both and several hoses , fire pit and bbq. I’ve had my rf18 refer for over 3 years now and still have a half tank of Lp. 

image.jpeg

Edited by Hotrod
  • Like 1

I have the same unused LP hook-up as Scotty in the original post.  amphi_sc said it is not to be used for 1 lb. green bottle grills - and I'll heed that advice because I know little about it.  Is there something that can be added between the hook-up and 1 lb. green-bottle-grill to make them safe to use together?   

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, bklaes said:

I have the same unused LP hook-up as Scotty in the original post.  amphi_sc said it is not to be used for 1 lb. green bottle grills - and I'll heed that advice because I know little about it.  Is there something that can be added between the hook-up and 1 lb. green-bottle-grill to make them safe to use together?   

I was going from memory in that the 1 lb green bottles are a higher pressure gas setup and grills that are designed for them would not get adequate gas.  If you can run your 1 lb green tank type of grill from a standard 20 lb tank and a standard regulator, then it might work from the coach's regulator too.

amphi_sc, I was going in the opposite direction, incorrectly assuming  the coach's LP would be higher pressure than the 1 lb. green tank, and therefore too high for the grill.  I can run a test.  Thanks.  Bill

I don’t know what 1 lb tank you are taking about except maybe an LP bottle for the grill. The pressure in such a bottle is the same as the lp tank pressure in the coach tank and is a function of temperature. It could be over 100psi. Some people use the tank directly but I don’t think it’s safe .  A lot of energy can come out of a hose at 100psi.

11” h20 is very low pressure , like 1/2 psi. You can  stop the end of a hose with your finger . The tank output goes to a regulator that goes to your appliances at 11”.

You can still get 50000 btu an hour thru a low pressure line .  I can run 30’ of hose to my grill or campfire and get plenty of gas at low pressure . Both of them have 3/8 connections but I have also a 1/4” hose that has the 1/4 connection at the coach . It’s a little more flexible than the 3/8. I ended up putting both connections on as an experiential and either or both are fine . 

Edited by Hotrod

As I recall, an old grill I used many years ago used the small 1 lb green screw on tanks and had a built in regulator that could not be by passed, and that built in regulator would thus not allow already regulated low pressure gas to pass.  Also, as I recall, there were 20 lb tank hoses that would allow unregulated gas tank pressure to that corresponding type of mini tank screw on fitting.  But I would feel uncomfortable using that hose all the time under high pressure even from a 20 lb tank.  However, there is indeed a short (maybe 6-8 inch) hose that goes from my coach's 100 lb frame mounted tank to the coach's regulator then another short hose to the black iron low pressure distribution pipe.  I have had to replace that first short hose before as it aged and I felt it was getting too old considering the consequences and constant pressure it is under.  I recall a worrisome time when a nearby TT had a dual tank setup where a high pressure hose from the A-frame tanks to the regulator sprung a gas leak one hot day.  Also my old junior high school blew up one winter night due to a gas leak, and it leveled the 3 story building throwing bricks 1/3 mile away.  And that was a medium pressure under ground natural gas line.  Even with that said, I prefer some gas to a total electic coach.  With indoor gas stove cooking, outside grill and firepit, I don't even use a half tank a year (and we spend the majority of a year in the coach ... well, except for this year so far ...). The S&B has a 500 gallon tank and is all copper and black iron pipe from tank to house appliances.

...end of ramblings...

I installed a Ball check valve, then a quick disconnect on the black LP service pipe running to the curbside from the LP tank .  

After using the appliance, turn the ball check valve off, and you will burn off the LP left in the hose, before disconnecting it. No pressure in the hose line.

We had a grill mounted in a basement custom built tray slide. Loved it. The grill was on it's own slide, and could be removed and placed elsewhere for use when staying an extended period of time. I also had a 30" hose for that use. We were full timers, so we also had a 60Lb. combo/fridge/freezer on the slide behind the grill. Very handy and cut down the trips into the coach.

Her are a few pictures.

Paul A

20007 Exec Exterior 015.JPG

20007 Exec Exterior 017.JPG

20007 Exec Exterior 016.JPG

On 5/20/2020 at 11:06 PM, Scotty Hutto said:

Several of my friends have taps on their LP systems for grills, fireplaces, and other accessories. Looking at my owners manual, it refers to “exterior gas line hook up prep”. On my Diplomat, behind the water heater is a black iron pipe with a shut-off valve, then about a 2” section of pipe that is capped. 

1) Can anyone confirm if that is the “hook-up prep”?
6E72C1F5-97AD-494E-8BC2-2BDFEDE77EF4.jpeg.42e0a955136f731b6b5df04eff0ccbaf.jpeg

2) If so, isn’t that on the low pressure side of the regulator?

Thanks,

Scotty 

Yup, that what mine looks like on my Camelot. It is on the low side. I went to my local gas supplier and got a quick connect fitting and the accompanying 10' hose to feed my portable grill. Works great and no more hauling extra gas bottles around. 

I did keep the shut off intact and plumbed in the new fittings after the shut off.

Dave W.

Edited by Rustygold

I think Scotty is ready to go with the correct hardware.  I did the quick connects with a 30 foot hose teed for both my Q1000 Weber and my 17" Blackstone.  Like others have said you need to remove the regulators at the appliance.  If you don't have a local propane shop to help with parts I have read good things about www.propanegear.com.  I know they have the parts to bypass the built in regulator on the small Blackstone griddles.  Here's a picture of what I did to eliminate the regulator on mine.

5E5A0E5A-955E-4918-9586-E724F586F8F6.jpeg

B37BBC8B-2BE9-4309-A840-437D8FB11D76.jpeg

0C0DEC4D-3A28-4BDA-BEB0-219537352F1E.jpeg

53F8205D-FF2D-4BD7-8B71-35900BF80A46.jpeg

I also found out I could not double-regulate the gas supply, so I did something different. I added a T at the main rank (before the house regulator) and ran 1/2” copper from there* to my battery compartment, and installed a shutoff, high-flow regulator, and a quick connect.  I run a 24’ hose thru the 2” hole in the bottom of the battery cubby to my grill. 
*the house propane tank is mid-ships on driver’s side, batteries are on the passenger side, second cubby from the rear.  

• Sad 1

12 hours ago, johncvandoren@gmail.com said:

I also found out I could not double-regulate the gas supply, so I did something different. I added a T at the main rank (before the house regulator) and ran 1/2” copper from there* to my battery compartment, and installed a shutoff, high-flow regulator, and a quick connect.  I run a 24’ hose thru the 2” hole in the bottom of the battery cubby to my grill. 
*the house propane tank is mid-ships on driver’s side, batteries are on the passenger side, second cubby from the rear.  

John

If you can't double-regulate the gas supply because your grill has it's own built in, (or permanently attached), regulator isn't the high-flow regulator you added before the quick disconnect problematic.

Our 2005 Signature has a port on the passenger side that is plumbed with iron pipe. It is high pressure teed off before the regulator. I will likely convert it to a tee after the regulator.

Paul

On 5/22/2020 at 7:32 PM, johncvandoren@gmail.com said:

I can't think of a better place for high pressure propane than in a battery compartment! 🤣 

Mine came with  black pipe and regulated outlet on the passenger side of the vented propane tank compartment.   I just removed the regulator from the grill and fire pit.

• Like 1

Follow-up #1.  Got the quick disconnect, etc. to tie in to the coach’s prep fitting, quick connect propane hose (24’), and an adapter for my Coleman grill that eliminates the regulator. I like this because I can still use the grill with the original regulator with 1lb bottles (or 20# tank and hose).

I also got a wye and a second hose so I can run the grill and fire pit at the same time.  I’ll post pics and a parts list when it’s all done.

Easy to install C 2 Swivel Adapter.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, pwhittle said:

Our 2005 Signature has a port on the passenger side that is plumbed with iron pipe. It is high pressure teed off before the regulator. I will likely convert it to a tee after the regulator.

Paul

Paul,

I have the iron pipe on the ps also with the red cut off but it’s low pressure .... same iron the goes to range top and refer . Are you sure it’s high pressure on yours?

This was a major topic of discussion in Yahoo.  Scotty's picture is LOW pressure or more correctly "Regulated" pressure.  It is a Tap for adding a line or a fitting for any gas appliance that requires REGULATED pressure.  Think of your home BBQ grill.  You have a regulator on the end of the fitting that goes into the high pressure fitting on the 20# cylinder.  As HotRod and others pointed out....that regulator reduces the 20# Tank pressure down to inches.....not PSI.  So.....

If you have LP or gas devices that have fittings where you can use a low pressure or regulated source, then the Monaco Tap works great.  Weber and others may have that.  

BUT....if you have a small gas grill that takes a "cylinder" (disposable and not refillable), then you are gonna be disappointed.  It ain't gonna work.  Many of us have put in brass T's and tapped in the POL fitting on the INLET side of the Regulator.  That is where the LEFT HAND nut is located.  You remove the regulator via the POL nut (some may have the new ACME).  Then you remove the POL (1/4" NPT) from the Regulator and put in a T.  BINGO....you will have 20 # cylinder or disposable cylinder "HIGH PRESSURE".  You will need an LP or High Pressure Rated 1/4 turn valve.   Most of the QD fittings now come with a 1/4 turn valve also.  The ones in the pictures are actually rated (should be  but verify) for HIGH PRESSURE or Tank Pressure.  I have a vertical T line with a 1/4 turn safety valve.  The QD fitting also has a 1/4 turn valve....so I am doubly protected.  I use a plastic cap on the female fitting to keep out grit.

I feed my Holland Companion (table top grill) via a high pressure hose.  There is an adapter on the end that is he "disposable cylinder" make thread.  So, I use the High Pressure T QD fitting and then hook up my Holland to the Tank Side.  Works like a champ as I have a built in regulator in the control/lighting valve.  

Works like a champ.  You just need to know what to use.  Disposable cylinder fittings require you to tap into the High Pressure or inlet side.  Regulated (where you have a fitting on the downstream side of the tank or cylinder require the standard Monaco black pipe fitting.  

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Hotrod said:

Paul,

I have the iron pipe on the ps also with the red cut off but it’s low pressure .... same iron the goes to range top and refer . Are you sure it’s high pressure on yours?

Yes. Definitely high pressure. It is tee’d before the regulator on the main tank.

Paul