Scotty Hutto

Tapping LP system for a grill?

I suppose we would be remiss if we didn't  mention the "higher pressure" low pressure regulators that some fire pits, etc. use which have some part of it painted red.

I HAVE GAS!!!

Thanks everyone for the help and suggestions.  Here’s a pic of the finished project. 

EC7F70F7-45B0-4640-87C7-F787D243B348.thumb.jpeg.c475857c157c1e771933c9318a4b5852.jpeg

Materials List:

1/2" BLK TEE

1/2"X3/8" BLK BUSHING

3/8" CLOSE BLK NIPPLE

3/8” PROPANE QUICK CONNECT BRASS

1/2” 90° BLK ELBOW

1/2"X1/4" BLK BUSHING

1/4" MIP X CLOSE HEX NIPPLE BRASS

1/4” RV PROPANE QUICK CONNECT BRASS

RectorSeal #5 Pipe Thread Sealant  - yellow (approved for propane & natural gas)

A smattering of elbow grease and a few drops of blood from skinned knuckles...

I also purchased a 24’ 1/4” propane hose with quick disconnects and an adapter for my Coleman Roadtrip Grill  (see earlier post).  I have yet to purchase the 3/8” hose for my fire pit, but seeing that it’s 80°F+ today and a low in the mid 70’s tonight, I might not need that yet...

• Like 2

Posted (edited)
6 hours ago, Scotty Hutto said:

I HAVE GAS!!!

Thanks everyone for the help and suggestions.  Here’s a pic of the finished project. 

EC7F70F7-45B0-4640-87C7-F787D243B348.thumb.jpeg.c475857c157c1e771933c9318a4b5852.jpeg

Materials List:

1/2" BLK TEE

1/2"X3/8" BLK BUSHING

3/8" CLOSE BLK NIPPLE

3/8” PROPANE QUICK CONNECT BRASS

1/2” 90° BLK ELBOW

1/2"X1/4" BLK BUSHING

1/4" MIP X CLOSE HEX NIPPLE BRASS

1/4” RV PROPANE QUICK CONNECT BRASS

RectorSeal #5 Pipe Thread Sealant  - yellow (approved for propane & natural gas)

A smattering of elbow grease and a few drops of blood from skinned knuckles...

I also purchased a 24’ 1/4” propane hose with quick disconnects and an adapter for my Coleman Roadtrip Grill  (see earlier post).  I have yet to purchase the 3/8” hose for my fire pit, but seeing that it’s 80°F+ today and a low in the mid 70’s tonight, I might not need that yet...

Way to go. Now put 3/8 fittings on all the appliances and a 3/8 on the appliance end of one of your 1/4 hoses and you can use the 3/8 hose to extend or a 1/4 hose to eXtend .  Never know when you want something 30 ft away. I have 3 hoses ... a 12ft 1/4 to 3/8, a 10ft 3/8, and a 10ft 1/4. I can use 1, 2 or all 3 to any appliance .  

Edited by Hotrod

I'm a little late posting what I did, but it may be helpful to someone else.

I re-purposed the propane line from the nevercold, as I have a residential fridge.

I put a coupler (with a ball valve) in the bay with the access port to run the hose out.

I may extend it a little below the outlet in that bay, but I always turn the ball valve off when not in use.

I removed the regulator from the grill, & replaced it with a  valve without a regulator I got from Amazon.

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B0024E62CU/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

It works fine now.

When I first tried the low pressure on the fire pit, (it was for high pressure), it had a very low flame.

There was a small orifice in a brass fitting on it, so I removed it, & put my coupler right on the tube to the burner. 

It now works fine on the low pressure supply. It may not burn as high as on high pressure, but it is sufficient for me.

Probably uses a lot less propane now as well.

See pics here.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/Bn79QUuuLn8tDhga9

• Like 2

On 5/24/2020 at 10:46 AM, Scotty Hutto said:

Follow-up #1.  Got the quick disconnect, etc. to tie in to the coach’s prep fitting, quick connect propane hose (24’), and an adapter for my Coleman grill that eliminates the regulator. I like this because I can still use the grill with the original regulator with 1lb bottles (or 20# tank and hose).

I also got a wye and a second hose so I can run the grill and fire pit at the same time.  I’ll post pics and a parts list when it’s all done.

Easy to install C 2 Swivel Adapter.

Scotty, where did you get all of these supplies?  I've been considering setting mine up the same. 

On 5/23/2020 at 7:40 AM, Mel S - '96 Safari said:

John

If you can't double-regulate the gas supply because your grill has it's own built in, (or permanently attached), regulator isn't the high-flow regulator you added before the quick disconnect problematic.

It allows minor adjustment below full tank pressure, allowing me to use on a small “green tank” grill.  I now have the “Baby Weber” so may now remove the hi-flow regulator & use the oneS on the grill and fire ring.

On 6/1/2020 at 8:12 AM, Steven P said:

Scotty, where did you get all of these supplies?  I've been considering setting mine up the same. 

Propane quick-connects, brass fittings, and grill adapter came from propanegear.com 

Black iron pipe and RectorSeal #5 Pipe Thread Sealant (yellow) came from Ace hardware.

The only thing I would do differently next time is use a brass 3/8” close hex nipple instead of the 3/8” close black nipple.  You can get a wrench on the hex nipple to tighten it; not so with the black iron close nipple without damaging threads.

Checked for leaks, then cooked the first meal on the grill tonight!  Success!

8F8F951B-BB9F-4929-B27D-66C4C193F0FD.thumb.jpeg.057676862fbe96cefd411e1f296e8ba4.jpeg

6402498E-D5EA-4F03-8A48-532F30FFED53.thumb.jpeg.782f5fde51c028417f82bd361e606f5e.jpeg

• Like 1

Awesome!  Great view too!