ONAN generator has “broken” dip stick.

ido70

So we are headed to Texas and parked in a Wal Mart Campground in Louisburg. I tried starting the generator and it runs for a few seconds then stops. On investigation it appears I am low oil. The strange thing is my dip stick is missing everything but a plastic knob on the end. Could some kind soul tell me the measurement from the tip back to the “add 1qt” mark and to the “Full” mark? The generators probably use the same dip sticks however for the record mine is model HDKAJ, 7500 watts from a 2004 Windsor. Thank you for your time.

JimB2

Guest Ray Davis

Operating from memory here, but I believe if you remove the drivers side panel of the gen there is a tube for that dip stick.  that's where you will probably find the dip stick.

I looked at the parts manual I have, the oil dip stick goes through the coolant tank and the tube then goes down to the general location of the oil filter.  To get the dip stick out you may have to take the coolant tank loose, not sure if there wold be enough free play to remove the tube without removing the coolant tank. 

I'll try and look at mine today and see if I can come up with any crazy ideas. 

Well, without a lot of effort I can't look at mine since I have my house batteries out while installing new drawer slides.

But you might try making a fishing tool to get the old dip stick out.  The stem of the dipstick is flexible cable, the tube itself is pretty large.  Go to a big box store and buy a long flexible screen door spring.  These come with loops on the end, cut one end off and bend the wire so it protrudes out some.  Shove it down the hole an rotate slowly trying to get the bent wire to go under the flexible cable.  If it catches you start feeling some resistance, continue rotating until you know you have 3-4 wraps around the cable and slowly try to pull out. 

I stole this from someone. A grabber might fit down the tube to grab the old one. This one shows just the plastic being retrieved but it might grab the whole thing. Worth a try. The grabbers are not expensive and very handy sometimes. 

Dip stick removal.png

Just now, Chuck B 2004 Windsor said:

What a class act you are, stealing from others.

Chuck B, 2004 Windsor

No, no. I'm just a gypsy traveling around and speading information. Stealing schematics is never beneath me for sure. I have a great software to clip out what I need and then take credit for it. Sure fire trick, works everytime. 

Where I borrowed this picture from most folks can guess. I did a google search on removing a broken dip stick and a picture popped up of me. 

Drilling down I found the picture and clipped it out. 

I have heard of the dip stick problem before so a Google Search helped me.

On 11/11/2022 at 4:24 PM, veraken said:

Don't know the length, but the Onan part number you need is 123-2051

https://shop.cummins.com/CSSNAStore/s/product/a2w4N000003sJNVQA2/generator-oil-level-indicator-1232051

That part number states that it is Designed for Onan Marquis Generators: HGJAB, HGJAC, HGJAA

His generator is an Onan QD model HDKAJ, 7500 watts

Yes, this is it I believe. I am missing all of the plastic mould attached to the end cable. Thanks for the direction. I’ll order one when settled. Just for your info I believe I added too much oil. The gen works great but there is a tube which extends from below that oil blows out, guessing when too much is added. Luckily there wasn’t a whole bunch and it blended well with the years of drips from past cars, sorry “Wally”.

JimB2

4 hours ago, veraken said:

Look at page 29 of the attached Parts List for the HDKAJ generator.  The part he needs is the 123-2051Onan Generator Parts Manual.pdfOnan Generator Parts Manual.pdfOnan Generator Parts Manual.pdf

Sorry about the misinformation. I was solely basing my post and information based on the link you had provided. When I clicked on it, below is what it stated. Nothing about an Onan QD Generator nor model HDKAJ.

Generator Oil Level Indicator - 123-2051

Designed for Onan Marquis Generators: HGJAB, HGJAC, HGJAA.

RV Green Label Parts Reference Guide