2005 Monaco Executive cold weather use

rschley
Go to solution Solved by Hancoman,

I am heading south from northern Minnesota in the next few days. Recent cold snap puts me staying in 15 degree temperatures tonight and tomorrow night. Wondering if I need to drain the system.

My question is if there are any experiences out there regarding the effectiveness of Aqua Hot bay heating system. Does it provide heat to all compartments (storing liquids in one of them); will it be effective  at lower temperatures to make sure that all the pipes will be OK; the thermostat turns on a fan when turned completely turned to the right, is that the best setting to use; ??

I hesitate to drain the whole system for 2 nights of colder weather, but do know how critical this could be. Any insight would be helpful. Owners Manual suggests that all will be OK, but they were not too specific as to what conditions would be acceptable.

Thanks in advance for your expert guidance on the matter!!

Ron S.

I believe you are good to go.

This should be a 4 season rated rig.

Just keep it liveable.  And check your bottom compartments, especially the wet bay to ensure it's heated.  There may be a separate thermostat for that zone.

If the factory HVAC system doesn't give you temps (my Newmar doesn't...how silly), then it's a good idea to put a remote thermostat in the wetbay so you can monitor that without having to open up the bay door and let all that nice heat out.

Edited by DavidL

You most likely have an Aquahot radiator down there.  There is a Capillary Tube Thermostat.  You MAY have the 12 VDC toaster or the SYSTEM HEAT.  As long as you are on 50 amp or running the genny, I would TURN BOTH ON.  Your heater or the cargo (tan) heater is an older model.  They are actually much more reliable.  I carry a simple METAL trouble light.  I have some OLD incandescent 100 Watt (it is rated for that) bulbs and some 60 watt bulbs.  You can find some designer bulbs in stores that are 60 watt and are incandescent.  You can use that as a backup.  There is also (Ace and other hardwares have them) a plug in Freeze Protection Thermostat.  You use a short extension cord.  Plug in the thermostat....it looks like a small rectangular TWO outlet extension.

https://www.amazon.com/Farm-Innovators-TC-3-Thermostatically-Controlled/dp/B0006U2HD2/ref=sr_1_5?crid=3KUIZ6X9SNGNG&keywords=freeze+protection+thermostat&qid=1668276586&sprefix=freeze+protection+thermostat%2Caps%2C95&sr=8-5

They come on around 35 degrees and stay on until maybe 45 degrees.  So, that could be a backup if the temps get really cold.

The MAIN THING....keep the inside TOASTY.  The floor will radiate heat down....

Driven from Ontario, stayed in twin cities on our way to Texas,Alabama  and Arizona in January on a number of occasions, - 15 f overnight, basement heat on full,Aqua hot and generator running, I have a thermometer in the basement and it has stayed consistent at 40f.most trips I will keep the antifreeze in until I get into Tennessee. 

Hope this helps

Wayne 

1999 Signature ceaser 

I’m thinking that it should be cold enough to test it during the day up there, as long as your system is working correctly you should be fine, only way to test it is, test it! Jmo.

Im three hours south of you. My Dynasty stays warm in the wet compartment. On an Exect, I would think that there should be a hot coolant line from the engine to the Aqua Hot to heat the boiler fluid that flows to the wet bay heat exchanger when called for to maintain temp while traveling in cool temps, again, jmo! Just as you should be able to heat the engine with the Aqua Hot on and the switch turned on at the dash to do so, as long as the previous owner didn’t short cut any repairs to the system, that’s the $64 question!

• Solution

The only problem I had staying  3 nights at around 5 degrees was water pump would work intermittently. Water pump is in the same bay as the aqua hot but close to the bay door our thought was maybe it was freezing. What ever it was the problem went a way when we got into warmer weather.

• Thanks 1

On 11/13/2022 at 8:59 AM, Hancoman said:

The only problem I had staying  3 nights at around 5 degrees was water pump would work intermittently. Water pump is in the same bay as the aqua hot but close to the bay door our thought was maybe it was freezing. What ever it was the problem went a way when we got into warmer weather.

Just now, rschley said:

Thanks for the input. Just increased my faith in Aqua Hot system. I have been underestimating it.  

Aquahot is the answer, I do leave the generator running and or ensure it is set to auto start,forgot to mention that I have the engine heat on as well,heated tile floor on , want to ensure the Onan has a load on it, not the best for the generator to run without a load.

Like I said in the last post,woke up with Aquahot, generator, heated tile floor,basement heat all on in well below freezing temperatures, standing in the galley shorts and t shirt sipping on a coffee. Important thing to remember when the temperatures are below freezing, do not close the front curtains, if you do you will have to deal with a windshield with lots of ice and condensation.

When you start the coach it will be fairly close to operating temperatures. 

Enjoy

Wayne 

1999 Signature ceaser