generator 2003 Windsor 7500 Onan not starting,

danwegand

It would depend on the engine but on my Isuzu it would be difficult to do without access from the top. See if you can get to them from the top opening, I suppose there is a removable access door on yours too.

IMG_20210827_165308962.jpg

I would check if they even get power, I find it unlikely for all of them to quit.

Edited by Ivan K

I had to replace at least one glow plug years ago and changed all three at the same time. My generator is on a slide so getting inside is not difficult.

At 1000 hrs I did the recommended maintenance which was belt change, thermostat, and I can't remember the rest but the glow plugs have been fine since the first issue. 

So if you are close to that mark you might want to gather all the components for a full maintenance. 

• 1 month later...

This is right out of the manual

"Preheat is the period of time
prior to engine cranking when the glow plugs preheat
the combustion chambers. The time is automatically
varied by the genset controller on the basis
of engine temperature."

So if it is cold enough the engine won't start until the glow plugs have been activated long enough while holding down the control switch while starting. 

1 hour ago, jacwjames said:

This is right out of the manual

"Preheat is the period of time
prior to engine cranking when the glow plugs preheat
the combustion chambers. The time is automatically
varied by the genset controller on the basis
of engine temperature."

So if it is cold enough the engine won't start until the glow plugs have been activated long enough while holding down the control switch while starting. 

Ok understand all that, but if you push down on the switch as if you were shutting it down but before you try starting it, it sounds as if it’s priming it also that’s my question?

From the manual

PRIMING THE FUEL SYSTEM
The fuel system should be primed after replacing
the fuel filter or running the genset out of fuel. To
prime the fuel system hold the control switch down
in its Stop position for at least 1 minute.

So if you hold the stop button down too long it may start to prime.  Just a guess. 

Holding the gen switch down before starting only runs the lift pump to get fuel to the mechanical high pressure pumps. Holding it up to start also runs the electric pump plus the controller decides whether and how long the glow plugs need to be preheated prior to cranking. Easy to confirm with a test lamp on one of the plugs.

• Like 1