Windshield Installation

I am about to have both of my windshields replaced.  Talking to the company they said they would glue the new gasket to the coach.  They would also glue the windshield to the gasket. The last company that replaced one of the windshields said they never glue the windshield to the gasket.  Seems to me the glass should not be glued to the gasket.  That way there is some small amount of movement depending on the temperature and road/driveway contortion during driving.  What are your thoughts???

Don Genesse

04 Camelot 

If your windshield has been cracking not due to road debris, be sure that the front cap is secured properly.  When Monaco at Coburg replaced my windshields, they found that there SHOULD have been two brackets bolting the front cap to the plywood dash.  There was only one bracket and it was loose.  So when we were going 60 miles an hour into a 40 MPH headwind, we had 100 MPH force on the cap and it deformed, cracking the windshields. 

They installed two brackets, three total and the tech had a colleague lean on the cap to get it square before those 3 brackets were tightened down.  

We'd had 4 windshields crack before this repair.  Since the cap was fully bracketed to the dash, we've had no cracks in the last 8 or 10 years.

Dwight

Like all before me said, no glue windshield. The main reason to glue to coach is to keep gasket in place while working the windshield down into the rubber gasket. If they glue to windshield you will likely have stress fractured (cracks) occur down the road. Go back to installer and if he insists on gluing to windshield, find another installer.

-Jamie

As Dwight indicated, the front of the coach will rack (bend to one side or another) due to limited structure. That's why you need good "control" of the windshield hole shape. Gluing it to the coach is sometimes the solution on cheaper coaches in order to get the necessary control of the windshield hole. As an RV tech, I always wanted to see manufacturers not use one piece windshields because in a two piece, each side could move independently, helping to maintain the best seal as the coach moved and contorted.

-Jamie 

I just had a new single piece windshield put in my '02 Windsor.  Huge glass is totally floating, no glue used at all.  Installation was quick and no overnight drying/setup involved.  Original glass lasted 20 years pretty sure.  AAA fiberglass RV Collision.  Oklahoma City.  Had much guidance from these folks to have them order right glass.

I just had the windshields replaced.  They made sure the gasket was glued to the front cap.  The glass itself was not glued in.  They did a good job.  RV Glass Solutions is who the insurance contracted through and RV Solutions contracted to Go Glass of Florida.  They came from Rockledge FL (near the Space Port) and cover the whole state.  I live near Port Charlotte, and they had several other jobs in the area so they scheduled them all for 2 days.  Everything went very good.

Any one that lives and is registered in Florida, the insurance company has to pay for any replacement windshields (car, truck, RV) at no cost to you (no deductible either).  Obviously they have to approve the replacement.  This is my 4th windshield (car & MH) in 8 years living here.

Thanks for all your inputs.. This group is  AWSOME!!!

Don Genesse

04 Camelot

• Like 1