Sanicon

nyrngrz

I have the box mount Sanicon system and I need to access the macerator pump to see if there is a clog or something going on. I unscrewed the Mounting Box and have the pump in my hands but I don't how to access the pump to see the blades, etc. When I look down at the pump, there is a screw right in the middle of the top and I unscrewed it but the top doesn't come off. Anyone know how to access the inside of the pump?

I had a sanicon . Sold coach in 2014. It was an 07 Executive.  Memory says there are 2 long screws that go end to end. I removed the nuts and washers and removed a end where the impellers are. I think that's your problem.  The impeller blades are at the inlet end.

Edited by Paul A.

Guest Timothy

There are 3 screws on the inlet end. Remove those then pull the head off and you will have access to the impeller. I can’t remember if you have to remove the cutter blades but I always do to remove the long hair that gets wrapped around it. If you take it apart you might as well replace the impeller. It’s cheap and comes with new gaskets

Thanks Timothy. I see the screw in the middle and see 2 small holes above and below that center screw. Do you know what kind of a screw it is? The hole is really narrow and appears to be a deep hole.

Having rebuilt mine a couple times, here's what you see and why it won't work for you. Since you have the box out, take the pump out of the box. There is a small screw on the BACK of the pump which is used to free the blades if they're stuck. Simply insert a flat screwdriver in there and turn. That said, it's better to pull everything apart and clean it correctly. Remove the three screws in the front of the pump. CAREFULLY. pull the front of the pump off. There is a fiber gasket between the two halves. If you tear it, you'll either have to make a new one or buy the whole rebuild kit. The gasket is not available by itself. The kit consists of a new impeller and new gaskets. Also note the elongated hole as you'll need to reassemble it in the same position. Remove the front half, the fiber gasket and the metal ring. This allows you access to the impeller and the blades. Hold the blades in place and remove the screw that holds them on. Remove the blades and the center section. This allows you to replace the impeller. If it doesn't need to be replaced simply clean any hair and/or debris around the blades without removing them and reassemble making sure the elongated holes match up with the metal ring you removed. Place the fiber gasket in place and reinstall the three long screws. Reassemble the pump into the box and reinstall in the coach. Personally, if I were to go to all that trouble, I'd buy a kit and rebuild the thing while I had it out of the coach, but that's just me...Let me know if you have any questions....Dennis

Edited by Dennis H
  • Like 1

As Dennis says, you have to remove the Sanicon from the box. As you can see from the attached photo I have removed my permanently.  Remove the three screws I have indicated in the photo. You may need a right angle Phillips and you do not have to completely remove the screws from the housing just make sure they are loose and the head should pull apart. There are two chambers, the pump chamber and the macerate chamber. Unless everyone in your family is completely bald you will have hair wrapped around the macerater blades. Eventually everyone who has a Sanicon will have to take the head apart and remove the hair because it builds to a point that the pump will not function. The pump chamber has a rubber impeller that rotates against the housing to form a pump to move the liquid waste out to the hose. Sometimes this impeller gets damaged or worn out and must be replaced. You should inspect it while you have the Sanicon disassembled.

20200523_074724.thumb.jpg.265e9b85a99b0e5c569ded05381e389e.jpg

Edited by Bob Nodine

Put a new impeller kit in my Sani-con a few years back. The rubber vanes on the impeller were just little short nubs, that didn't come close to reaching the pump walls. Surprisingly, it was still emptying the tanks!

For keeping hair out, I use a raised rubber strainer, that just sits over the shower drain. It has very small holes that stop hair from getting thru, and just lifts off to clean into the garbage.

You can also use a 1 3/4" SS "Cone" hair guard.  The Ace and such sells them.  You can order on Amazon.  I pulled out the little cap (big holes) and the rim or flange of the SS strainer fit like a glove.  We have woven braided rugs and I must shed like a whatever.  I get the rug fuzz and hair.  Go to the beach and you mix in sand.  The fine sand (typically the black tiny granules) will go on through.  But the larger grains get caught. 

The next tip is to use the strainer in the sink.  If you use a paper towel or a used napkin and wipe off plates and utensils before you wash dishes, you will save yourself maintenance.  The more "crap" you put in from the fresh tank (shower and hair) and food particles, the more wear you get on the vanes or the impeller tips.

You guys suggesting the use of hair catching strainers over the drain are lucky if that is keeping the hair out of your Sanicon. My problem is the wife! She actually is quite good at taking a paper towel and removing hair form the drain strainer in the shower. The main source for hair in our black tank is thru the toilet. You see, my wife uses a hair dryer and it blows hair into the toilet. I have tried to remind her to always close the lid on the toilet but have finally decided it is easier to just clean out the Sanicon and keep my mouth shut!😉

Edited by Bob Nodine
  • Haha 1