Original head unit

Flyinhy
Go to solution Solved by jacwjames,

I have the original head unit on my dash. The sony wxc 570 and I was wondering if I replaced it with something more modern with bluetooth, will I still be able to operate it with the bedroom remote? When it comes to computers and tech stuff I'm clueless and not ashamed to admit it.  I'd love to be able to use my Iheart on Radio. The bose surround system is something I'd like to update too.

• Solution

My radio didn't work when I first bought my coach in 2008, luckily the CD worked so I had something. 

I looked around for a unit that hat the remote pod connector and just ultimately bought a newer model of the Sony that still had the remote connector.   That one crapped out after about 4 years and upgraded to a slightly newer Sony that still had the remote pod connector, that one lasted slightly longer but at some point the quit making units with that connector.  So the last time my radio fail (yes again, on my 4th replacement) I just bought a used Sony with the connector so I could use the remote in the bedroom.   I bought a Sony CDX-GT740UI which was the last model of a Sony I found with the connector, I paid $30. 

I really like the remote in the bedroom.  I usually have the radio or CD on when I go to bed and just reach up and shut if off when I start falling asleep. 

But I guess at some point I'll have to do something else but at this point This Old Dog don't want to learn new tricks.

I have an old radio and was looking to upgrade it. The problem is that it is 1.5 din high and that format is scarce. It does mean that if I replace it the opening must either be filled in or extended. The W24 dash has limited space to install the 2 din head and getting any matching material for the carbon fiber appearance will be very difficult.

Was contemplating a radio change a couple of years ago after the Sirius function crumpted on my Magnadyne 1.5 din.  Contacted Magnadyne and they volunteered they have a 1.5 to 1 din adaptor and also would make a plug 'n play harness for any non Magnadyne radio for a reasonable charge.  Decided to purchase a stand alone Sirius receiver that plugs into the Aux port so didn't follow through with Magnadyne.  Worth a call to them...

Adam, 2010 Neptune 37PDQ, 2019 Jeep Cherokee

• Like 1

Charles, the bedroom remote is probably specific to the radio.  Can you post pics?  I'm assuming the remote is wired?

• 2 weeks later...

Jim,

I'm sorry but I cannot open the pdf.  Can you post a picture of the remote in the coach? And the radio?

16710458296832602687867462554638.thumb.jpg.5638213f19fbba03b12438c019fb909d.jpgSorry guys I've been so busy at work I haven't had time to do much. I finally have a rain day where I can piddle around with this head unit. Yes, the remote i16710450457693960736702262218691.thumb.jpg.54a777239124e50d948597d91ca2c436.jpgs wired in at the back and the picture above is the remote on the side of the cabinet. I've looked a little for a replacement but not seriously.  My head unit works with the exception of the CD player. I have it apart now and I think I'm gonna try and add a bluetooth receiver internally before I drop 400 on a new unit. It's worth a shot. The inside of this unit had 20 years of lint on some of the components.  

Edited by Flyinhy

Just a thought if you like having a remote in the bedroom.  Many new receivers have remotes.  Mine will work from the bedroom as long as there's a clear line of sight.  Depending on your use, your phone will do a lot thru Bluetooth. 

• 2 weeks later...

Merry Christmas 🎅 

Yea, the head unit will have to be replaced with a newer unit. I found one with a remote plug for the rear but I will lose the CD player. The Bluetooth adapter wired right into my bose surround sound unit, so all is not lost. 

Merry Christmas and a happy New Year to all..... 

• Like 1