2008 Monaco Camelot Awning Replacement

We had an unfortunate incident involving a thunderstorm and our 08 Monaco Camelot 40PDQ last summer that resulted in a sawsall removing the awning so we could continue our trek. Its now time to seek a replacement. Unfortunately when I removed the awning and tried to take pictures of any labels for identifying the make/model of the awning they were so weathered that they were unreadable. The awning scraps were abandoned at the location of the incident and are long gone. Anyone know what the make/model of the awning is on this coach? It is (was) an auto-retracting awning. I also know that is darn heavy and long :(. 

Mark

47 minutes ago, markn91387 said:

We had an unfortunate incident involving a thunderstorm and our 08 Monaco Camelot 40PDQ last summer that resulted in a sawsall removing the awning so we could continue our trek. Its now time to seek a replacement. Unfortunately when I removed the awning and tried to take pictures of any labels for identifying the make/model of the awning they were so weathered that they were unreadable. The awning scraps were abandoned at the location of the incident and are long gone. Anyone know what the make/model of the awning is on this coach? It is (was) an auto-retracting awning. I also know that is darn heavy and long :(. 

Mark

CALL; https://www.lci1.com/girard-rv-awnings

Here is a link for the Sales brochure for your coach. Valuable info there. https://www.monacocoach.com/

Edited by Paul A.

1 hour ago, markn91387 said:

Mark

Monaco, at least in 2009, had TWO types.  The standard was the side, 12 VDC model.  The optional was a Girrard WANNA BE and was mounted on the roof or just hanging over. That is what I have

Mine is a Carefree OPQFEAJV10DR.  Part of that cryptic code is all the length and color op and such.  Since we have the same LENGHT and MODEL, ODDS are…..the same awning, if you call carefree, they can tell you the base model info and the parts for yours.  The COLOR may be different….but that should do it.  As long as it is the same, they can supply parts.

Google Carefree Apex Awning Manual.  That is what I have….this tells you a LOT!

NOW, can you located the Components or the two page build sheet.  May be in the briefcase or in the rear closet or somewhere.  That is the BIBLE and it will have the exact NUMBER of the “Patio Awning”  I’d do a search and destroy hunt for that.  It is INVALUABLE…

Good luck…

48 minutes ago, 96 EVO said:

Our '08 Scepter (sister to the Camelot), came with the Carefree of Colorado Eclipse model.

https://www.carefreeofcolorado.com/products/eclipse/

That is the STOCK awning.  

https://www.carefreeofcolorado.com/products/apex/

This is the upgraded one.  I have that.....it "came that way".  This is a 120 VAC model.  The Eclipse is a 12 VDC model.

Thanks everybody.

Mine looks to be (been?) maybe a Girard G2000 or a Carefree Apex which is OEM only.  I think I saw the Carefree branding somewhere on a control panel so maybe its the latter. I don't have the vertical rails for the arms on the side of the rv so that narrows things down some.  Nothing is ever easy....

Edit - It is a carefree. Making progress.

Mark

Edited by markn91387

1 hour ago, markn91387 said:

Thanks everybody.

Mine looks to be (been?) maybe a Girard G2000 or a Carefree Apex which is OEM only.  I think I saw the Carefree branding somewhere on a control panel so maybe its the latter. I don't have the vertical rails for the arms on the side of the rv so that narrows things down some.  Nothing is ever easy....

Mark

NOW comes the SHOCK.  Those arms are like GOLD.  I had a friend with a 2009 just like mine.  He was near a lake and the "uplift" sensor in the awning (these are NOT the rotating windspeed safety ones), did NOT pick up the uplift.  It fractured BOTH the pivoting arms.  The parts were almost $1,000 in 2010.  The total job, which his insurance covered, was around $1,600 which included the Tech's labor as they would NOT pay him or let him have the $$...

As I said, this is a Girard (SP?) WANNA BE.  I found a good dealer that was a certified Girard repair shop and they finally got mine fine tuned.....

If yours was the result of WIND or WATER or any external damage (not just WORN OUT), I might get quotes and consider an insurance claim.  I HOPE I am wrong....but some of these parts are like gold.

If you don't mind, keep us updated.....as that is the way we learn and can fix things....and also understand the costs of "OWNERSHIP"

Good Luck.....

The Carefree Eclipse controls are on this switch panel. The Carefree Apex controls are on same panel, but take the space where the Monaco logo is.  Maybe Tom can add a picture of his Apex control panel. 

Mark, you could post a picture of your switch panel by the door and we could make sure which awning you have. 
Once you know for sure, the fun begins! 

9208B4D6-26EA-4A49-919B-2DD23A8CBACE.jpeg

3 hours ago, markn91387 said:

Thanks everybody.

Mark

Ask your insurance agent who they have Paid claims to,repair entities,  for other clients who have had the same damage issues. 

Ask and Ye.....

OK....this is the Carefree Apex Control or the Girard Wanna BE.  It is 120 VAC operated....NOT 12 VDC like the Eclipse.  There is ALSO a LOCKOUT switch (12 VDC Ignition) so that you will not be tempted or the munchkins running around while driving to deploy the awning.  I KID YOU NOT....it is on the prints.  

The Awning is fine, as long as it was properly (rarely) adjusted from Monaco.  It MAY be OK if the Drop Down (larger) slide was on the DRIVER's SIDE.  But for those of us with the LONGER slide, the slide extends so far out that the awning when it deploys has to be "adjusted" to prevent the header (the metal piece on the end) from hitting the top of the slide. A very experienced and trusted HR Tech adjusted mine THRICE and it was not the best.  Finally, Tom Johnson's RV in Marion, who was or is a Girard Dealer and had a "WHIZ" adjusted it.  Only took half an hour and it was the best $100 I ever spent.  It works great.....just really FREAKY as it comes out.  It does NOT do well where we are today....Holiday TravL Park on Emerald Isle due to the constant ocean breeze.  The retraction mechanism is a G Force sensor in the end.  If it starts to go UP and DOWN....IN it comes.

BUT, I can also tell you of an experience with two BRAND NEW $600K (each) 2008 Navigators with a REAL Girard.  I was caravaning with them in 2008 and we were at the Charlotte Motor Speedway CG in mid March for the ACC MBB Tourney downtown. We were going to have a massive GRILL OUT.  A freak storm came up.  These two rigs had TWIN Girards.....so the ENTIRE side, almost 40 feet had cover.  Think about that.....20 FT each.  The wind whipped up.  The sensors did NOT react.  I have NEVER seen these two middle aged men move so fast. I held my tongue and offered to help.  Later after a few beers, UNDER my roll off the top and tied down 2006 Winnebago Awning which we had to stake and use to finish cooking, I kidded them. I said that I halfway expected the Rigs to "Take OFF".....in The Flying Nun manner as they were whipping up and down like her "Habit".  They laughed too and said it scared the "mess" out of them.  They were THEN very cautious about leaving their twin "winged outriggers" extended.  

OK....FINAL COMMENT....and take this as INFO and NOT a put down.  I know that there were SOME years, and I think that 2009 and 2008 MAY be involved where the Eclipse has a poor track record.  The Awning is NOT the blame.  Monaco CHEATED and reduced the Primary Wiring Leads (the Ones to the MOTOR) and they were one gage TOO LITTLE.  We have had countless members of the OLD site and some here that were very ELECTRICALLY knowledgeable and invested a lot of time and resources into fixing this.  The bottom line was that as the awning ages and the tracks get some dirt or wear or just a little "out of square" that the motor has to pull MORE amps to work the awning.  OPPS, the wiring reduces the AMPACITY and the wiring (maybe it was a #12 and should have been a #10 or it was a #10 and should have been a #8....so there is a VOLTAGE DROP and the current goes up.  The awning runs slower and eventually, the motor is overloaded and fails.  In essence, the wiring becomes a "High Resistance" situation. I know FIRST hand that when you have a voltage drop over a cable or wire that the amps go up and the motor (hydraulic in my case) doesn't fare well.  SO....if you have the slide mounted Eclipse, the recommendations were to check the terminals at the motor as well as at the switch or source and also keep the track clean and lubricated.  

So, Monaco did a POOR job of installing and underpowering the Elcipse and the Apex was not one of the most reliable Girard WANNA BE's....BUT, it is what it is.

I SURE HOPE the repairs are reasonable....Keep up posted...

IMG_2862.jpeg

1 hour ago, Paul A. said:

Ask your insurance agent who they have Paid claims to,repair entities,  for other clients who have had the same damage issues. 

Mine blew out while traveling in high winds in NorCal. Insurance Co had no issues covering it.

When Shade Pro sent a guy to my location to see what I had, I asked him what the difference would be to replace it with a Girard. At that time a 20' Girard retailed for something like $9k.

I passed and told him to replace it with another Eclipse!

Your Monaco more then likely came with a Carefree 12v Eclipse or Apex. Monaco didn't install Girard awnings on Camelots. They only installed them on Dynasty's and above.

We are both a Girard and Carefree factory service center/dealer. Myself I like the Eclipse because the pitch can be adjusted and they are fairly cheap to replace parts on. The Apex and Marques are more expensive, provide less shade because they have lateral arms and cannot be adjusted. In all my years in the awning business I have never seen a 120 V Eclipse ( not to say they were not made ). Almost all of the 120 volt awnings I have seen have been roof mounted Girards.

• Like 1

Tom,

Howdy neighbor. We are in Beaufort NC up on Adam’s creek. The incident happened when we were staying at the rv park just north of the bridge. We bought a place maybe a mile away from the rv park where we were bivouacked while house hunting. For anyone interested in the area Waterway RV park is a great place. Inexpensive, has a boat ramp, right on the ICW, and well run. 

Back on topic - the awning I need is a carefree. My controls match Tom’s. Problem was caused by an auto retract system that did not work when it was supposed to. My fault as I know better than to rely on these things. I am going to call carefree tomorrow and see if I can purchase a unit without the mounting baseplate. That baseplate is still intact on the rv and the parts lists it shows a cost of over 1100.00. The Second problem is I think I need a shop to install this thing as it is awfully heavy and unwieldy.

After I get though the awning challenge next up is doing battle with the aquahot.

mark

11 hours ago, markn91387 said:

Tom,

Howdy neighbor. We are in Beaufort NC up on Adam’s creek. The incident happened when we were staying at the rv park just north of the bridge. We bought a place maybe a mile away from the rv park where we were bivouacked while house hunting. For anyone interested in the area Waterway RV park is a great place. Inexpensive, has a boat ramp, right on the ICW, and well run. 

Back on topic - the awning I need is a carefree. My controls match Tom’s. Problem was caused by an auto retract system that did not work when it was supposed to. My fault as I know better than to rely on these things. I am going to call carefree tomorrow and see if I can purchase a unit without the mounting baseplate. That baseplate is still intact on the rv and the parts lists it shows a cost of over 1100.00. The Second problem is I think I need a shop to install this thing as it is awfully heavy and unwieldy.

After I get though the awning challenge next up is doing battle with the aquahot.

mark

Yes, you are close. We have been using the HTP since it was 3 years old….and keep coming back.  I think we came here circa 1979.  It has been sold to a massive private equity firm that owns more land than the Government, well not quite.  We are glad it is still open.

I can’t tell you much more than what I have posted.  My buddy with the other Camelot was an accomplished “technician” and rebuilt engines and did things that would spook many.  He actually had to do the final tweaking as the tech and assistant were in over their heads.

If you get the parts and don’t come up with a good shop, contact Frank, at Frank’s RV in Clayton. He is off HWY 70, just east of Raleigh.  I have sent two folks to him recently and both, I think, were pleased.  He will NOT take on a job that he cannot complete or is past his skill or experience level.  One of the folks actually is nearby and he has yet to find an RV shop to his liking, but there probably are some….

Good Luck…..

12 hours ago, throgmartin said:

Your Monaco more then likely came with a Carefree 12v Eclipse or Apex. Monaco didn't install Girard awnings on Camelots. They only installed them on Dynasty's and above.

We are both a Girard and Carefree factory service center/dealer. Myself I like the Eclipse because the pitch can be adjusted and they are fairly cheap to replace parts on. The Apex and Marques are more expensive, provide less shade because they have lateral arms and cannot be adjusted. In all my years in the awning business I have never seen a 120 V Eclipse ( not to say they were not made ). Almost all of the 120 volt awnings I have seen have been roof mounted Girards.

You are certainly the expert.  Maybe I typed the info wrong…..but I thought I said the Eclipse was 12 VDC and Monaco, on the Camelots, based on many posts here, put in the motor wiring that was totally undersized and folks have griped and complained and tried to fix with many different techniques.  Typically, if the motor is balky and will not work using the controls, they report that it runs great with a pure, properly connected test voltage source.  The issue, as they posted, you cannot pull out the wiring from inside the slide outside wall.  

My Apex is a 120 V unit.  Mine IS powered off of and/or through the inverter.

I just don’t use mine that often.  I totally agree that the Eclipse is far more, from a shade and use standpoint, way more functional that the high mounted winged and floppy Apex…..but I got it….and that is that.

6 hours ago, 96 EVO said:

The tech from ShadePro that came out to install my new Eclipse carried a 18v battery pack with him to run the awning out / in when he's done the install.

They move at a good speed with 18v!

I KNOW I’ll get flamed for this.  But OF COURSE.  GIVE the motor an increased voltage to compensate for the line (wiring) loss and it should run.  Seriously this awning in the Camelots have frustrated many really well educated electrical and mechanical individuals and their mom would be washing out their mouth for their language and disdain.  I have NO information on issues on OTHER models, but the Scepter and Camelot issues of undersized leads to the motor inside the slide wall has been a well discussed issue.  Every time I fuss about my Gerard Wanna Be, I remember their frustrations.

SO, the solution is simple,  find a 14.4 volt NiCad battery and put a maintainer on it to keep it charged.  Remove the 12 VDC supply wire from behind the panel and feed that sucker 14.4.  That should keep it happy.  BUT, you need an inline fuse that is rated for the motor.  

Seriously, sounds crazy, but if you look at the manuals for the older (2008) and newer, I think, there is a “Remote Exterior Switch” and there is a power pack that Carefree sells and has a 14.4 NiCad battery.  

If I had one and really wanted to use it a lot, I would have a higher voltage, properly fused of course, power supply.  NOW….the DISCLAIMER.  This HAS to be studied by a person with the necessary electrical skills to ascertain the current and voltage requirements.  BUT, it MIGHT be possible to have a STDP switch to provide HIGHER power to the switch for EMERGENCIES.  The Normal input is the House 12 VDC.  But, if you flipped the switch to EMERGENCY then having a 14.4 source to move it might be possible.  This ASSUMES that the Extend/Retract switch is the a single one. The service manual has some good schematics….  If the dual switch is used, then the relay module would have to rated for the elevated voltage….

Otherwise, keep it lubricated and maybe have a 18 VDC drill battery and a premade jumper to get it retraced so you can break camp….