Solar Charge Controller - To Leave On or To Turn Off While in Storage - That is the question?

Bill R
Go to solution Solved by Bill R,

When not out traveling we store our coach in a covered storage facility with it plugged into a 20A service on float charge via the Magnum charger.  The rig has four 125W solar panels that do a great job when in use.  But obviously there will be no sun hitting them while in storage.  Is there any reason to disconnect the solar charge controller while in storage?  It is easy to do with an existing disconnect inline breaker.  With all of the weird electrical gremlin issues I read about on this forum, I was thinking maybe it would be best to isolate the solar electrical system while not in use.  Opinions and advice are always welcome no matter what the perspective.

Do you have the Monaco installed Heliotrope solar charge controller or an aftermarket unit?

I looked through the Heliotrope owner's manual and it does not say anything about disconnecting in covered storage. 

I think I would leave it connected and see how it goes.  

If you want to shut off the solar system, I can see slight merit to worry about gremlins.

However, best rule is to isolate solar before disconnecting from batteries.  My panels will generate measurable current if I park under good parking lot lights.  Although with small systems I've never seen a problem, the safe rule is that battery current needs to be present before solar current is introduced to the charger.

8 hours ago, vito.a said:

Do you have the Monaco installed Heliotrope solar charge controller or an aftermarket unit?

Thanks Vito - It is an aftermarket unit, HQST MPPT Series.  The manual does not say anything about disconnecting while not in use, lots of inherent voltage protection built into this unit.  

6 hours ago, TomV48 said:

However, best rule is to isolate solar before disconnecting from batteries. 

Thanks Tom - yes I always have to keep this in mind.

For the past year I have not disconnected the system while the coach was in storage, and no issues.  Maybe I am being a bit too cautious when it comes to this.  If no one has had any issues with leaving their charge controller continuously on while in storage and on float charge, perhaps that is the answer my question.