POWER STEERING HOSE REPLACE

Go to solution Solved by welleking,

My steering hoses are run down the center between the rails.  Monaco zip tied everything together and even ran some hoses through metal retainers which would make it hard or impossible to remove.  You might be able to just run another new hose front to back.

Do you know where yours is leaking, is it at the fitting on the steering box.  If you have enough hose you might be able to replace the fitting, they make a field repair fitting that you can use.  The ferrule portion screws onto the hose first and then the fitting end screws into it and pinches/clamps the hose between the two metal portions.  Looks like this https://www.discounthydraulichose.com/field-attachable-reusable-hose-fittings.html  a good repair shop may carry these.  Napa carries them https://www.napaonline.com/en/search?text=hyrdraulic fitting field fit&referer=v2

If the hose is to short you could add a piece using some of these fittings.

Edited by jacwjames
  • Like 1

18 minutes ago, jacwjames said:

If you have enough hose you might be able to replace the fitting, they make a field repair fitting that you can use. 

There's also mobile people that repair hydraulic hoses.  Should be a cinch for them. 

- bob

• Like 1

the leak appears to be where the hose/wire bundle could be rubbing on the frame just behind the front axle about 4 ft from the pump. I have been digging into old files and every one says not to bother trying to pull the hoses out.  the local hydraulic man says he needs ten foot minimum to reach his crimper mounted on his truck. looks like this creek has me doing it myself

As Ivan mentioned, there are portable crumpets that will work for your issue. It’s just a matter of tracking down someone who has one. Not sure about this one but there may be a two piece fitting that works via assembly compression.  See if there’s a Parker Store/supply house near your location. They will likely be able to help you. 

• Like 1

Hi there. I had my hydraulic hose fitting near the pump give out. It was the type that gets push in and the collar screwed on to compress the hose and fitting together. And that didn't last long. Luckily I was able to put it back together and limp home with slow and easy turns.

I have a '96 40' Dynasty.

What I did was to replace the hose. Yes, all of it. It is not too difficult to take down all the panels that cover the center "backbone" to the rig. Once open loosening the bands around  all the hoses and wires wasn't too hard. I then had the replacement hose built 4 sections using zero restriction (?) fittings. One hose was about 2'long from pump to next hose which went from that section to next one that went from just outside the backbone (rear fire wall?). The hose running in the backbone went all the way to the front of the back bone leaving just enough  extending out to attach to the last hose that went to the steering box.

When I installed the new hose down the backbone I also included two wires and a strong cord just incase I needed them for future use. I secured the hoses and wires back up leaving the cord free to pull through if needed.

This did take a while but it wasn't too hard when I did it in my late 50's. But I think I could do it now that I'm 70.

Side note for anyone designing rigs like ours - if able, always make hoses in this way - limit amount of hose exposed to weather and allow them to be changed without opening up the backbone. 

Edited by Nosmo179
  • Like 3

On 12/1/2022 at 10:29 PM, jacwjames said:

My steering hoses are run down the center between the rails.  Monaco zip tied everything together and even ran some hoses through metal retainers which would make it hard or impossible to remove.  You might be able to just run another new hose front to back.

Do you know where yours is leaking, is it at the fitting on the steering box.  If you have enough hose you might be able to replace the fitting, they make a field repair fitting that you can use.  The ferrule portion screws onto the hose first and then the fitting end screws into it and pinches/clamps the hose between the two metal portions.  Looks like this https://www.discounthydraulichose.com/field-attachable-reusable-hose-fittings.html  a good repair shop may carry these.  Napa carries them https://www.napaonline.com/en/search?text=hyrdraulic fitting field fit&referer=v2

If the hose is to short you could add a piece using some of these fittings.

I had a similar problem with my 2000 Diplomat. A mobile guy managed to pull out enough slack under the door side wheel to allow him to cut off the damaged pipe (about 1 foot) put on a new end and then add back the missing piece, all was well for about 3 months until the same (pressure) pipe gave up at the pump end. The replacement pipe was run under the angle iron supporting the lockers as it was impossible to run anything, through the frame rails, or remove the failed pipe.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Nosmo179 said:

Hi there. I had my hydraulic hose fitting near the pump give out. It was the type that gets push in and the collar screwed on to compress the hose and fitting together. And that didn't last long. Luckily I was able to put it back together and limp home with slow and easy turns.

What I did was to replace the hose. Yes, all of it. It is not too difficult to take down all the panels that cover the center "backbone" to the rig. Once open loosening the bands around  all the hoses and wires wasn't too hard. I then had the replacement hose built 4 sections using zero restriction (?) fittings. One hose was about 2'long from pump to next hose which went from that section to next one that went from just outside the backbone (rear fire wall?). The hose running in the backbone went all the way to the front of the back bone leaving just enough  extending out to attach to the last hose that went to the steering box.

When I installed the new hose down the backbone I also included two wires and a strong cord just incase I needed them for future use. I secured the hoses and wires back up leaving the cord free to pull through if needed.

This did take a while but it wasn't too hard when I did it in my late 50's. But I think I could do it now that I'm 70.

Side note for anyone designing rigs like ours - if able, always make hoses in this way - limit amount of hose exposed to weather and allow them to be changed without opening up the backbone. 

Good luck getting any manufacturer to design for serviceability.  If you can't see it, they're going to do it the cheapest way possible.
I'd prefer hard lines running through the straight section, with shorter hose sections at either end.  Hard line, if properly mounted, would last the life of the coach.

• Like 4

17 hours ago, Nosmo179 said:

Thanks Stephen!
This is a brilliant solution, and it arrived just in time as we want to replace our hydraulic lines after having had one burst this past September.
Can you tell me where the 4th hose was?  I understand having two shorter hoses near the pump and the steering unit, but did you also split the long one in between them as well?  I guess if the split was in a place where you could get to it, it would mean only replacing part of this long hose and not the whole thing, correct?

I’ll have to google “zero restriction fittings” but as I understand the term it means they allow for the same amount of fluid transmission as the hose itself does, correct?

Thanks again!!

Scott

From back to front: a very short one from pump to next longer one. This second piece went to the third hose that ran the full length the the backbone with maybe 6" or so hanging out front and back. The last connected this 3rd hose to the steering box.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Solution

to all   my situation seems resolved. turns out the leaker was the low pressure hose so splicing was a no brainer. I washed down everything with purple stuff and hosed it off. found no leaks on the cardboard I placed under the area after things dried.

• Like 1

Just a thought to turn everything upside down . . . . . Is it possible to install an electric power steering motor?  Or a local hydraulic pump?

I don't have a dog in this hunt so don't burn too many brain cells on it. 

- bob

• 1 month later...

I apologies to any who wanted a reply. I 'm not one to frequently visit this site and have not learned to get notices of any replies to my posts. So, one question was about zero restriction connections  and if they are equal to a how with no connection installed the answer is yes. To me, very cool design.

Thank you all for being part of this very important site. I have learned so much from many of you and love trying to help when I can.

Have a wonderful 2023 and I hope to get my rig in better shape and on the road once more. I just love it when I can use my rig!!