Freshwater Tank Level Indiactor

Jim Byrd

The tank read correctly (all lights on) when tank is full.  The Full light will go out as water is drained but the remaining lights remain on as water is used, even when the tank is empty.

The coach is a 2004 Holiday Rambler Endeavor.

8 hours ago, Jim Byrd said:

The tank read correctly (all lights on) when tank is full.  The Full light will go out as water is drained but the remaining lights remain on as water is used, even when the tank is empty.

The coach is a 2004 Holiday Rambler Endeavor.

Two useful things that you might post.  

Picture of the remote readout that has the lights on

Picture, if you have access, to the wiring harness and probes on the side of the fresh tank.

Does the other two tank level lights (holding & gray) seem to work OK.

Do you have dual readout ot a second tank level monitor.  My Camelot has two.  One is built in to the “control panel” in the center area of the MH and there are switches and other items mounted on it, but the actual monitor display with fresh, holding, gray, propane and battery is part of the large rectangular panel.

If you have a dual display, then the wiring harness to each monitor has a cluster of diodes in it.  It could be in the “monitor side” or the MH side.  The diodes prevent feedback or interference when the display button is pushed on each individual display.

The system is nothing more than a ground and a positive “terminal” at the bottom.  They are usually brass bolts and go through and are exposed inside the tank. Then you have mot positives that go up the sides for each “level” mark.  So at FULL, ALL the contacts are making a circuit so each individual level or increment light is lit up.  The holding tank is usually the one that gives you an issue.  TP and wastes coat the interior walls.  When this material, in an empty tank, dries out, it is non-conductive.  But when you drive with some liquid or use it normally, the crud on the wall will wick up the liquid and then give a “false” positive or circuit. 

This is a very elemental system. The problem most have, me included, is the physical or mechanical issue that the crud is hard to wash out or get it cleaned off.  For example, if you have a few gallons of liquid in the gray and holding tanks like you would put in after a dump to add the chemicals, then drive to a CG, the tanks will read great and proper.  But a tank with maybe enough liquid so the level is halfway between empty and the first (1/3?) level will slosh around and thoroughly wick and wet the 1/3 probe so you get a false level.

In your case, assuming your fresh tank has “no inside crud” like a bacterial growth, the issue might be in the monitor.  I wish I could offer more, but I personally have never read about a fresh tank level false reading. The only reason I know a little is that I had to design and install tank level monitoring systems when working a long time ago and a friend with a Camelot had a factory goof and the diodes for the dual monitors had been left out as Monaco used the wrong wiring harness.

I DID google Monaco Fresh Water Tank Reads Full All The Time.  Not too many hits but some interesting issues and supposition.  IF Monaco uses the bottom or common terminal as a POSITIVE (I would have used ground) then the level sensors going up would be tied to GROUND.  If you have a chafed wire on the full lead, then all of them, presumably, would read FULL.

There was also comments on a KIB monitor.  Monaco used a lot of KIB aboard and electronic controls.  Unfortunately….KIB is defunct.

post the pictures and maybe someone that has experienced it or troubleshot it can chime in.

There's 3 or 4 sensors attached to the water tank inside the wet bay.  On my 2003 Endeavor a wire broke to the last sensor in the string behind the wet bay heater.  I forget the exact symptom (I thought mine read 0 water) but I'd inspect those wires first, especially behind that heater where the tank might be pinching the wire against a support.

Good luck,

- bob

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for everyone's response, I've decided not to dig into it until it gets warmer.  I have a nice garage to store it's not needed. 

If I don't find anything simple to fix. I'm going to install the SEElevel system.

Thanks,

Jim