Auxiliary air compressor

Bobbyboy

I have an 08 dynasty.  My auxiliary air compressor is shot.  Unfortunately I cannot read the make and part number cause it has been obliterated with undercoating paint.  Anyone have that info;  would save me a lot of searching.  Thanks,

Bob L, 08 dynasty

13 minutes ago, Gary 05 AMB DST said:

Auxiliary air compressor? Where is it and what does it do? DUH!

Gary 05 AMB DST

MY WORDS EXACTLY in 2013.  I assume that you have one.  It is PROBABLY located on the passenger side.  It is sort of, looking in from the left front Genny “hole” under and behind.  There may be a small canister reservoir under it with a drain valve.  I never knew where it was.  At the ABQ Balloon festival, we were camped beside an exact duplicate (actually a tag) of our Camelot.  I heard his run and said..”what’s that noise”.  So, I did some exploring,  I crawled under the MH on the passenger side and was in FRONT of the steps.  Looked up.  There it is.  WHY has it never run.  I chased the circuit and there is a 90 (ON) - 120 (OFF) SPST a pressure switch,  I shorted the terminals and bingo,,,,it ran,  i sourced a VIAR switch on Amazon.  I realized that Monaco GOOFED.  The pressure switch has to be HIGHER than  the PUMP….otherwise, moisture gets in and corrodes the diaphragm and the contacts.  I zip tied mine up there.  It works now….some 9 years later.

BUT…this discussion is about a WAY MORE SOPHISTICATED system.  Your pump would be much closer to mine….and far less complex as well as far less experience.  Read your manual.  Do some crawling around. If you see an air hose with a tubular switch on the end and two wires….pull the terminals off and use a bent paper clip and short the terminals.  Odds are, assuming the fuse is OK, it will run.  Replace the switch.  The pump is supposed to come on to keep the MH level if you have an air leveling suspension.  If you don’t have an air level system….you do not have one…

I can’t remember how your coach levels…..

I have a 08 Camelot. I replaced mine last year. The OEM should be on your build sheet The mfg was Valid.  I would not recommend the OEM as it is about $1175 from findmyrvparts.com valid partno was vtl10A014-01 it was 1.1cfm I think  if my memory serves it came as a lot with pressure switch, hoses, etc.  I way oversized mine using the ViaAir 425C. In hindsight I went too big. I got The Aux air compressor only fills your ping tank (maybe 1 -1.5 gal.) Look on Amazon for the ViaAir 350030 350c is the model number. Is it constant duty 1.1 cfm and runs $216 w/o pressure switch. If you want a new pressure switch it's about $12 a 90/120 would work fine. My pump only comes on very rarely usually not at all. When it does it runs for 10-20 secs, sometimes at 2am!

Hope this helps.

• Disagree 1

I first replaced the original pump with a Firestone and now more recently with a Viair.  I also moved the pump inside a basement to get it out of the weather, the Viair is more powerful so only runs for maybe 15-20 seconds when it does, and is quieter than the Firestone or OEM.  Although I wouldn't mind if it was even quieter.

5 hours ago, willbo777 said:

I first replaced the original pump with a Firestone and now more recently with a Viair.  I also moved the pump inside a basement to get it out of the weather, the Viair is more powerful so only runs for maybe 15-20 seconds when it does, and is quieter than the Firestone or OEM.  Although I wouldn't mind if it was even quieter.

Put some acustical ceiling tile in the compartmant. Cheap and effective sound deadening . Different density levels available.

14 hours ago, Ivan K said:

Like Tom said, if you don't have air leveling then you don't need and don't have one. If you had air leveling, the auxiliary pump will allow to have air without the engine powered compressor running.

Ivan, I don't have the luxury of auto-leveling, never knew there was such a thing. Filling the air bags before hitting the road was auto-leveling to me. LOL

Gary 05 AMB DST

22 minutes ago, Gary 05 AMB DST said:

Ivan, I don't have the luxury of auto-leveling, never knew there was such a thing. Filling the air bags before hitting the road was auto-leveling to me. LOL

Gary 05 AMB DST

Air leveling, hydraulic leveling, both great when they are working properly, and not leaking. Both, a PITA when there not!

Thanks for all the input.  Unfortunately my build sheet does  not have the aux compressor listed and, as I said, the info on the pump was totally painted over with the coach was undercoated.  I have the Valid Air Leveling System.  I was just looking to get the same pump that would fit on the welded platform without having to do any modifications.  All I need is the pump;  I have an in line pressure switch that is new and all the airline connections.  Tom explained the reason for the aux pump.  Mine ddid not come on that often.  However, its location under the front of the coach made it a prime target for road grime and vibrations.  I will check out the Via Air that was recommended by John.  And I agree Monaco could have found a better place to mount the pump.

Bob L, 08 dynasty

1 hour ago, Bobbyboy said:

Thanks for all the input.  Unfortunately my build sheet does  not have the aux compressor listed and, as I said, the info on the pump was totally painted over with the coach was undercoated.  I have the Valid Air Leveling System.  I was just looking to get the same pump that would fit on the welded platform without having to do any modifications.  All I need is the pump;  I have an in line pressure switch that is new and all the airline connections.  Tom explained the reason for the aux pump.  Mine ddid not come on that often.  However, its location under the front of the coach made it a prime target for road grime and vibrations.  I will check out the Via Air that was recommended by John.  And I agree Monaco could have found a better place to mount the pump.

Bob L, 08 dynasty

This gets more intriguing.  I know for a fact that the 2006 Dynasty Aux pump was a “need to clean or service” the Desiccant style…..and it if went haywire, you got moisture into the rear tank.  Frank knew about that and when my friend drained the rear in his “new to him 06 Dynasty”, he got a lot (under pressure) water out.  Fortunately NO damage to the rear braking system, so said Josams,  it was located on a shelf between or near the rear drive & tag axle.  It was sort of high up and difficult for folks with motion/mobility  issues to get at.

Frank said his Dynasty has a different compressor and it has a “conventional” drain system.  My friend’s only has one drain valve in the rear and it services both the main tank and the Desiccant style auxiliary compressor.  I THINK that .Frank’s 07 has a second drain valve in the rear.  Don’t know why I need to know this…..but I had to help the friend.

The front mounting of the 08 pump is interesting,  again a Monaco design change.  I would get some solvent…..say isopropyl alcohol and try to gently clean the pump info that was voraciously preserved with undercoating.  Then go to paint thinner if that doesn’t work.  Maybe a degreaser or Bleech-White tire cleaner.  Acetone as a last resort …..

ODDS ARE….per your owners manual, you have the Valid system.  If so, then look at this,

https://rvpartsexpress.com/product/power-gear-air-pump-501184-vtl10a014-01/

PowerGear and Valid are virtually the same.  Have you pilled out the pump and tested it?  If you put in a new pressure switch, did you test each of the leads.  One will be an always ON Positive 12VDC and the other ground?  Do you have power there?  If not chase the fuse.

Yes…they fail….but you never can tell.  

BTW.  Many of us don’t use the auto on - at all times.  I fixed my pump and then it worried me to death by always coming on.  If you level the coach, manually or auto, then turn OFF the system….does it stay level?  Mine and others do.  So we do not drop a corner.  Our tanks drain down to ZERO and the MH stays level.  This is from a fellow dynasty owner and i have virtually the same Valid Powergear system.  Many folks complain about the slightest movement will start the compressor….almost always in the wee hours of the morning.  So, mine just sits there….and is off. 

Just a thought for an alternative to a big time expense that might not be “value added”….

26 minutes ago, Old Dog said:

The moisture issue can be cured by installing a auto drain water seperator on the discharge hose of the compressor.

Right, just like it comes with HWH compressor. The water separator has an electromagnetic drain valve that is normally open until the compressor kicks in.

Tom:  I have the same setup as Frank.  I have a drain valve at the rear of the coach for the aux tank; and, of course a drain valve for the rear tank. They are right next to one another on the drivers side.  To make a long story short, I pulled the pump;  tried to get the paint off with acetone but that did not work because the info was printed on a label and the label was messed up with the paint and everything dissolved with the acetone. The motor runs but no air;  so I took the pump (not the motor) apart and lo and behold the intake hole was blocked solid.  Looked like dirt dauber dirt.  I cleaned it, put it back togetner and now working fine.  Only problem is the extension where a filter would go is broken so I have no filter. The pump was loose and I think vibration caused thatt damage. Going to try and figure a way to put a screen of some sort over the intake to prevent this from happening again.  

Any suggestions would be welcomed.

Bob L, 08 dynasty

Also, I agree with you.  I leave the thing off most of time for the reasons you stated  I just pull the fuse..  I just hate when things don't work.

Bob L

4 hours ago, Ivan K said:

Right, just like it comes with HWH compressor. The water separator has an electromagnetic drain valve that is normally open until the compressor kicks in.

Valid system compressor has no moisture removal, but, the air goes into a small air leveling tank, which has a thumbscrew drain on the bottom.

26 minutes ago, 96 EVO said:

Valid system compressor has no moisture removal, but, the air goes into a small air leveling tank, which has a thumbscrew drain on the bottom.

On ours, Monaco saved ~30' of air line, front to rear, to feed the compressor into the wet tank which means it has to fill all the big tanks to get pressure to six packs. Not how HWH intended it.

When I first bought my Dynasty last year I found my Thomas compressor wasn’t working. With the help of everyone on the site they educated me on how it worked. When I pulled it out it was caked with dust and dirt in the motor vent opening. I ended up finding one on eBay that had been used in a dentist office with very little use and it was cheap….my price range.  I ended up getting some breathable foam and wrapping it around the compressor to keep it clean. Mine is up near the rear axle so a lot of dirt and debris gets thrown up there.  I had a leak that I just got fixed at Josams but prior to getting it fixed it would run quite a bit now it doesn’t come on at all. 

On 12/12/2022 at 6:07 PM, Bobbyboy said:

I have an 08 dynasty.  My auxiliary air compressor is shot.  Unfortunately I cannot read the make and part number cause it has been obliterated with undercoating paint.  Anyone have that info;  would save me a lot of searching.  Thanks,

Bob L, 08 dynasty

I see you are getting a lot of information but not exactly specific to your coach.  Pictures are worth a thousand words.  This is the Power Gear compressor I have on my 2008 Monaco Dynasty.  Should be exactly the same as yours.

IMG_20190405_150902.jpg

IMG_20190405_150931.jpg