Stress fracture in fiberglass off slide out

Go to solution Solved by dl_racing427,

I'm always on the inside at the controls.  I haven't noticed any walls or bottom of the slideout dragging.  I'll get someone to run it whil;e I'm outside.  One thing to note, the mattress and bed frame are removed to get more floor space.   The slide isn't carrying near near as much weight as it did originally.  I would think that would help its operation, but then, I'm the one with the cracked body.

If you are a YouTube user, AZ expert has a good video, a year or so ago about fixing cracks on a Coach.

Also videos on Country Coaches as certain years have cracks in the same place you have. 

It’s really common on Alpine and Montana 5th wheels in the front bed slide. On these the weld has broke and everything is out of alignment and causes crack, as was mentioned above. 

My body/paint guy saw the same on my coach and said that the corner area has a lot of stress and the usual way they fix it is to cut a grove and then cover with a molding strip to allow for continued flex without increasing the crack. (controlled demolition)

Not my favorite method but he insisted it was how several manufacturers fixed the issue.

2 hours ago, Gary 05 AMB DST said:

Would drilling a hole at the end of the fracture stop the crack from spreading?

Gary 05 AMB DST

That’s what I had to do. Hasn’t gone any farther in two years.

18 minutes ago, dl_racing427 said:

I was going to suggest that, but the Gary's beat me to it. LOL

Drill an 1/8" hole to mitigate the stress riser, and fill it with a dab of RTV.

Ha ha! I win 🏆 image.png.eae27eb59a6c43b0a981460dddc350f8.png

• Haha 1

39 minutes ago, Gary 05 AMB DST said:

Excuse me, but I had sent the information of drilling a hole 2 hours before you posted. Sorry but you came in 2nd!  LOL

The other Gary 05 AMB DST

Oh geeze louise 😩

• Haha 1