Receiver Hitch Failure 07 Diplomat

Except for the fact geico won't pay for receiver stress break they are covering tow bar, base plates and any hidden damage not yet diagnosed.  Some good thoughts on this discussion as to placement of safety chains, brake release etc.  Thanks all. Now to get it fixed...
Question, can I take the remaining receiver with the 3 inches broken off and drill a new hole to connect the hitch pin without Welding on the extra length of receiver hitch that sheared off. May sound crazy but structurally it seems sound.  Would Welding be as strong or still a weak spot? 

On 1/4/2023 at 7:04 PM, Joel Sheriff said:

Except for the fact geico won't pay for receiver stress break they are covering tow bar, base plates and any hidden damage not yet diagnosed.  Some good thoughts on this discussion as to placement of safety chains, brake release etc.  Thanks all. Now to get it fixed...
Question, can I take the remaining receiver with the 3 inches broken off and drill a new hole to connect the hitch pin without Welding on the extra length of receiver hitch that sheared off. May sound crazy but structurally it seems sound.  Would Welding be as strong or still a weak spot? 

From an experienced metallurgist, a graduate engineer, with many years of work in various industries…..he said….don’t want to drive behind or be in the same state.

NOW…if you can find a 10,000 receiver hitch “tube” and get a certified welder to cut out the old one with a torch and then fabricate mounting plates and weld it back in….and also add a few extra plates for a “safety factor”, yes….you can salvage the “mount”.  But trying to salvage the receiver tube would not be a solution that I could recommend or endorse.  From a liability standpoint, take out a $10 Million Excess Liability or Umbrella policy.  In NC, that means one from the normal sources….but they are limited to $5 Million.  I have that on my vehicles and house and anything that could be construed as “me being negligent”.  BUT, NC requires a separate, highly specialized and expensive, third party.  Think Lloyds of London.  YES….you can buy the coverage and any go PI attorney would feast on the 1/3 settlement.  Do the math.  Say $500 for the excess….above $5 mIllion.  How much does a new, factory welded and certified hitch, installed cost.

I would go to the Pro Truck shop the former Roadmaster design engineer recommended as we discussed. Curt makes a lot of Class IV (10K) and Class V weld on hitches.  I don’t know if your old hitch is welded or bolted on.  But, just a few fabrication or welding hours by a competent welder and the cost of a Class IV receiver tube will quickly equal a new hitch and then having it custom fitted and properly installed.  Not to mention the emotional impact if a “repaired”hitch failed and took lives….

My Advice. Unless you can find a mechanical engineer or a fabricator that is really a great welder….fix it right and go with a new hitch….

• Like 2

Point well taken Tom, I figured that was going to be the answer but I had to ask anyway, maybe for a comical retort or go ahead....  You have me the Truck company in Redlands CA. I have a man 10th appt with them from Wayne's and your suggestion. Thanks again, your advice is invaluable 

On 1/4/2023 at 7:04 PM, Joel Sheriff said:

That’s what I’d do BUT you need to weld a doubler around the new end.

84030BCB-2E17-45F7-A924-68815C327CE1.png

49 minutes ago, Joel Sheriff said:

won't have room to put the collar on I'm  going to have to get a shop to properly weld this unit.  

20221215_132053.heic 1.83 MB · 3 downloads

in the unlikely event that the shop DOES want to salvage the hitch.  You need a 2 1/2" by at least 10" Class V receiver hitch tube.  If they feel comfortable welding it back on, they will have to cut out the old one and then grind and fit the new one and weld in place and then add sufficient reinforcements to make it structural sound.  

That will also include a new or fabricated Safety Chain bracket as the basic receiver hitch tubes do not come with them attached.  The fabricator or Welder is responsible for also attaching them to the receiver/hitch as well. 

There are many $300 - $500 hitches that are "Weld On" and come in various widths to fit between the frame rails....where your OEM is either bolted or welded on.  They can be cut to size and then mounting plates added.

Whatever the Shop that Wayne recommends.....do it.  That way your estate will be protected....

Roger that, on the Welding shop. Thanks for the Welding info, helpful when they give their recommendations.  Keeping all posted on outcome after the fact. May be a couple of weeks. Thanks again Tom et al for the help 

Next question. Went to Redlands Truck per Tom via Wayne's suggestion.  They can't fix and are sending me to a hitch shop in Riverside (riverside hitch) they said they will do everything?  Is this, Tom, still your recommendation or is there someone out there with a known hitch shop to replace the receiver. They said Welding is not my option?? Comments please, this is getting passed around. Thanks all again and again. Still in Socal near Temecula and LA. 

28 minutes ago, Joel Sheriff said:

Next question. Went to Redlands Truck per Tom via Wayne's suggestion.  They can't fix and are sending me to a hitch shop in Riverside (riverside hitch) they said they will do everything?  Is this, Tom, still your recommendation or is there someone out there with a known hitch shop to replace the receiver. They said Welding is not my option?? Comments please, this is getting passed around. Thanks all again and again. Still in Socal near Temecula and LA. 

If Wayne said to go to Redlands and they referred you to a better shop, then followup and let them look at it.  This is not something that you take to a UxHaul car hitch place.

I figured NO on the welding.  We have folks here that are craftsmen and they might be able to salvage, but they are meticulous and have the tendency to “way overkill”.  I don’t know how your hitch is mounted….bolted or welded or (probably not) both.

if they can get a 10K hitch and bolt it on or modify the side rails and properly attach a new one….that is the best.  If they scratch certain bodily parts and say….”ain’t never seed nothin’ like this befer…”, thank them and leave.  Then find the largest MH repair shop locally or many and get on the phone for a source.

Keep us informed….

I’m not there to see it first hand but I would think the hitch could be sleeved, plug welded and fishplated, of some fashion to make it safe. Unless there’s not enough real estate to make it happen! I’m guessing there’s plenty of people out there that are able to fix it just not willing to take the liability, it’s probably not much different than stretching a frame on a car trailer (I’ve done a couple) or trk or the such. I had to build a riser to go into a receiver for a trailer I had that sat high, as the original one I purchased cracked, the one I built was twice as heavy as the one I bought, sleeved, double gussets. JMO.

like I said, I’m not there looking at it thou!

Edited by Jdw12345

I agree with Jeff that liability is probably the biggest issue. I would not do it for anyone either. The receiver tube is already welded and should be possible to cut and replace if you can't find a whole new one. If it is an h-frame type that also supports the engine mount, the tube is long and engine will need to be supported, that would take some good effort. I can't open any of the pictures so it is just a guess.

• Like 1

Next step folks.  Refereed to Riverside Hitch in Riverside CA.  They are anticipating replacement of hitch receiver on monaco chassis.  They think, without seeing it, that they may need to reinforce.  Cost for job between $2000 & $2500 max. Is that low fair, high? Opinions welcome. Appt one day in and out. Will keep posted on outcome. Thanks again 

42 minutes ago, Joel Sheriff said:

Next step folks.  Refereed to Riverside Hitch in Riverside CA.  They are anticipating replacement of hitch receiver on monaco chassis.  They think, without seeing it, that they may need to reinforce.  Cost for job between $2000 & $2500 max. Is that low fair, high? Opinions welcome. Appt one day in and out. Will keep posted on outcome. Thanks again 

Comments….  I can’t find a chart that lists the Monaco models or chassis.  If you want to find out, then you will have to call Drawtite or Curt or Tork(whoever).  Etrailer has a bunch of class V hitches “guaranteed to fit”….but the idiotic chart is for all models or cars or trucks and NO RV…but the ad says RV HITCH.

You have 10,000 hitch.  Most aftermarket hitches jump from 7,500 to 12,000.  The prices, assuming they are adaptable, run from $800 - $1,200.  

SO….you would need to get under the MH, measure a bunch of stuff and see how many bolts and what size and location they are and then order a “straight fit” replacement.

These guys, if they did not have you send a print or pictures must stock a variety of “generic” hitches that fit.  So, my assumption is that they will choose the closest one…..and the odds, IMHO, of having an exact duplicate fit, are slim and none.  So they install one that is the closest and then weld and fabricate mounts.  That is probably a full days for a tech and helper.  

My advice…..you broke a 10K hitch.  Fluke?  Who knows.  10K should be good enough, but with side to side movement and such, I would go to a 12K.  They may pop in a 15K which is better….so, if you want any more info, they are probably going to,have to inspect.  I’d make an appointment and specify that I wanted to upgrade to at least 12 or 15K to have a safety factor.  Your shear was probably some old stress cracks when the receiver was drilled or punched….and water and such eventually weakened it.  Not gonna happen, probably again, but I’d upgrade and PROBABLY they will maybe add a $100 or so.

When you get there, after they inspect, ask them what’s the rating of the hitch.  Your info is in the manual.  Go up to 12-15 and be safe….

the guesstimate sounds right….but get an NOT TO EXCEED!….which you can’t get until they look at it.  If you have concerns….your call.  

NOW…did you Google them and check out their ratings and see what they do?  It is mixed and they do not seem to be a fabrication shop.  Get a written estimate which requires you to go there.

Many of the MH dealers have Hitch Shops.  Find one or two locally that do.  Tell them what you need.  You are not the first,  but it is a rarity.

Even call Camping World and ask if they can replace a failed 10K hitch on a Motor Home and if not whom do they recommend.  

If the shop Wayne sent you to recommended Riverside….go there and get the quote….but also ask how many they do on MH ….maybe 2 every year.

the other option is to look up a Cummins Coach Care location.  Don’t call.  Drive there.  They work on engines and buses and MH and trucks and such.  Ask the Service Manager if they are equipped to fix and if NOT…WHO?  I’d get at least 2 quotes and that means driving and doing some research.  But, then you can see the shop and ask questions….

my advice

Otherwise, call all the MH dealers around and see who fixes broken hitches….

I’ve never looked at the hitch on my 05 with the thought of replacing it, without walking out to the shop and looking at it, I’m thinking it’s welded on to the frame, I doubt it’s bolted on as a component! 
 That price seems high to me but if they are going to totally remove what you have and start from scratch, maybe not.

I would think that if they removed the receiver tube they could weld in a new tube, again, I’m not there to see it, it’s really hard to speculate what has to be done with out seeing it!

Not trying to make you feel bad - but, I paid $150.00 to have my original hitch welded back on at Joe's Hitches in Dallas - in 2005.  The hitch on our 1996 HR Endeavor  hitch broke off at the welds.  The back side was still connected but the front receiver dropped almost to the ground.  We were travelling and wanted to get back on the road.  Joe's rewelded it in one day.  We pulled a 2004 Chevy Tahoe about 70,000 miles with that rewelded hitch.  Finally sold that coach last year.  And, BTW, I have never had good service at any Cummins Service Center. 

Thank you guys, good advise and I'll check the 12-15k replacements. They did get a bunch of pix from the shop Wayne recommended. Two people took pix and called and sent them to Riverside Hitch.  I'll get their quote and before going there I'll check another independent shop and a camping world that just opened (took over) Richardsons Rv in Sun City.  Thanks all 

JOEL 

• 3 weeks later...

Finally a solution to the split hitch and runaway toad in Simi Valley CA.  Attached are the pix of the Welding that was done at Riverside Hitch in Riverside CA. Recommended by Redlands Rv who was recommended by A Roadmaster acquaintance of Tom Cherry. Geico isn't paying for receiver but they covered the vehicle and tow bar and rewire.  I'm still yelling at geico. Riverside did a great job @ a final cost for the weld of just under $1600 complete. 

20230207_151321.jpg

20230207_151331.jpg

20230207_151339.jpg

20230207_151354.jpg

20230207_151405.heic

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1