Removing tile floor

I am thinking about removing the tile flooring in our 2000 Dynasty, replacing with engineered wood or luxury vinyl flooring front to back.

Previous owner took carpet out of front, replaced with a cheap vinyl floor that I want to replace.

They did not remove the front center cabinet, just cut around it. I will fix that also.

I have searched on here, but not found any results, but know many have done this.

Wondering if the tile is under the cabinets?

If there are posts about this I have not found point me there!

Thank You

I just took mine out of a 2000 dynasty king 1 slide. the tile in mine did not go under the cabinets or shower in the bath, and went up top the raised slide in the front.  came out easily, but a lot of work with a mallet and floor chisel.

Edited by bstjames00

Mine was under the cabinets a few inches also. I left tile in my bath. Be aware that removing the tile is VERY difficult and not for the faint hearted. Very dirty, dusty and physical job. I tried a few methods and finally did it by beating the old tile to death. Every square inch had to be hammered and then some light scrapping and chiseling to remove the remainder. The adhesive they used is amazing stuff and doesn’t give up the fight easily. When I tried different chiseling methods too much damage was occurring to the underlaymemt. Hammering softens the glue and kind of releases it from the underlayment.  Getting the pieces out from under the cabinets is another challenge. Tedious and time consuming. Overall worst job ever!!  Installing the laminate is also not an easy task considering you have to get it under the cabinet behind the slide rollers and then on the other side get it under the flap for the level floor slide.  Overall not a job for the faint of heart or those without decent skills. Would I do it again, heck yes, but then again, I’m a glutton for punishment.  

I saw on another board, that one of those oscillating tools gets under the tiles pretty good. 

Thiughts?

For me a chisel (used carefully) was best to remove the tiles, then a good oscillating tool (my HF&T unit would overheat fairly quickly, but a DeWalt unit would run all day and not overheat ) was then best to remove the residue.  There was a lot of moisture damage in this unit that occurred with the previous owner.  A very good friend of mine acquired this Monaco a few years ago and I've worked on it off and on for almost three years, on almost everything from cabinetry, fixing the automatic steps, mirrors, lights, door, water heaters, etc.  I'm retired so it's been a learning experience, and fun (I have a class B so I thought it would be interesting to work on something different).  Anyway, I did the floor demo (i.e., removal of tile and carpet) and replacement of a good portion of the subfloor and flooring (for free).  Another good friend of the owner installed the new wood floor (again, for free), and he did an excellent job!  Attached are some pics from the job.  Good luck!  Ernie can confirm it's a lot of work (I need to thank Ernie since I learned a lot from his FB site and pictures - we're pretty close to one another Ernie!).   

1998 Monaco Executive Floor Project.pdf

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

If tackling this yourself do yourself a favor and pick up a cheap air impact chisel gun. Harbor freight has a  kit for $13 . I have used a cheap one for years (automotive work) then last year I did my house hall bath with hammer ,wonder bar etc. and it was horrible . Right now I'm doing my master bath and dreaded taking out the old tile tried the air chisel and couldn't believe I didn't think of it earlier did in 1/2 hr what took all day before. Also doesn't shock the floor as much as blows from the hammer. 

Edited by miacasa_2000
forgot a note

I saved Ernie Ekberg a good bit of time and removed most of mine by the washer and entry.  I did not get under the rollers  in some cases.  Left that to Ernie the expert.  I removed the carpet.  Ernie did all the engineered wood installation.  It looks great.  I wanted to keep tile in the kitchen and bath, but definitely cover the front slide with wood.

Rich Cutler '06 Windsor

Our 2000 Diplomat had carpeting in front and tile in kitchen bath area. Shop in OR took out a swath of tile wide enough to run Skil saw set at correct depth down the swath. Tiles were mounted on second piece of particle board and once split they were fairly easy for him to remove. The Living Room slide had to be raise to allow that piece to pull out from under kitchen counter. Toilet had to be removed to lift that section out. By removing tile and particle board he then had one level of decking to install the vinyl planking. 

Couple of pictures attached to show tile/particle. board and finished floor. 

Company is Kustom Coach Works - Junction City OR. Owner is Bobby Vodden.

Pat 
2000 Diplomat 36DS
2014 Honda CRV

IMG_6945.jpeg

IMG_3346.jpeg

• Like 1

7 hours ago, cpat_39 said:

Our 2000 Diplomat had carpeting in front and tile in kitchen bath area. Shop in OR took out a swath of tile wide enough to run Skil saw set at correct depth down the swath. Tiles were mounted on second piece of particle board and once split they were fairly easy for him to remove. The Living Room slide had to be raise to allow that piece to pull out from under kitchen counter. Toilet had to be removed to lift that section out. By removing tile and particle board he then had one level of decking to install the vinyl planking. 

Couple of pictures attached to show tile/particle. board and finished floor. 

Company is Kustom Coach Works - Junction City OR. Owner is Bobby Vodden.

Pat 
2000 Diplomat 36DS
2014 Honda CRV

IMG_6945.jpeg

IMG_3346.jpeg

I like this method. replacing the OSB is cheap, would save a lot of work.

Thanks...

13 hours ago, miacasa_2000 said:

If tackling this yourself do yourself a favor and pick up a cheap air impact chisel gun. Harbor freight has a  kit for $13 . I have used a cheap one for years (automotive work) then last year I did my house hall bath with hammer ,wonder bar etc. and it was horrible . Right now I'm doing my master bath and dreaded taking out the old tile tried the air chisel and couldn't believe I didn't think of it earlier did in 1/2 hr what took all day before. Also doesn't shock the floor as much as blows from the hammer. 

I have one of these, probably a wide, flat chisel for it too.

Thanks...