Batteries, solenoid,???

bhsl8

I just returned back to my rig in the Smokies after spending two months doing a Santa Claus gig in Yonkers NY. Apparently there were some sub 0 temps while I was gone. I’ve been greeted with a freeze damaged water pump (and maybe pipes as well). Also, and the reason for the post; one of my jacks released some pressure and I’m leaning noticeably. I tried to start the engine to air up and take initial stress off the jacks so I could relevel.  I got dash lights and a couple clicks but no engagement. I then tried the jacks and got lights but no extension. 14.5 volts on the chassis batteries and 11.9-12.4 volts on the house batteries. There is no corrosion on any of the terminals and the house batteries were topped of with distilled in October. They are three year old interstate OEM type. The chassis pair are interstates as well and are two years old and not serviceable. 
I assume the jacks are chassis powered and they are somehow related to the starter solenoid in the forward driver side run bay. 
Any thoughts or suggestions would be appreciated. 
Unfortunately I had back surgery shortly before I left for NY and I don’t really have my legs back under me yet. 

Happy NewYear to all!

Brouck Sleight

2002 Dynasty 

2020 Explorer ST

2022 Indian Pursuit Dark Horse

Brouck

I am going to give you an example of what I will do when I return to my coach for a short visit in a couple weeks. temperature will be well below freezing. 

1 - it is always plugged in 50 amp, if 50 is not available adapter down to 120,if power is not available, one solar panel to starting batteries, one to house batteries, panels were receiving 3 to 4 hours sunlight per day.

2- I will plug it in to block heat when on shore power. Shore power not available I will start the generator ensure batteries are charged, fire up the aqua hot , once the aqua hot has been through one complete cycle I will turn on the engine heat switch.I will let it circulate for a hour or so deepening on outside temperature. 

3- if I am using the aqua hot just for engine heat I will shut everything off, generator as well.

Turn the key and she will fire right up.

Charge all the batteries 

Wayne 

1999 Signature ceaser 

Voltage at the batteries is only the first test. You need to test beyond the terminals. Make a good clean ground for your meter and then begin you measuring process from there.

Measure the voltage on the negative post, then the positive post, then find somewhere down the line past the battery cutoff switches to check. 

The surface voltage of the batteries can be very misleading in any case without a load on them. 

Brouck, I assume you have already tried the switch to connect all batteries. if not, do that to start the generator as Wayne suggested. It will be much easier to get the generator to start instead of the engine. After generator starts and if you don't have AC available, plug in engine heater if you have one. Mine is a plug hanging near a 120 volt AC duplex near the engine. Yours may be different.

You may also have frozen batteries. Even if you have voltage showing, as you indicated, it could be due to a single battery and the other(s) have frozen. Check fluid level in all of them. If they froze, don't add water, it will simply run out of breaks in battery case.

Basically, slowly raise the temperature of your coach. If you get aqua hot or any other source of heat working, open all cabinets to increase the heat circulation everywhere.

Good luck.

-Jamie 

WOW.  First I have to say this is one problem we do not have in SO CALIF.   But "14.5 volts on the chassis batteries and 11.9-12.4 volts on the house batteries" That scares me.   14.5 on the Chassis battery seems awful high.   for me House stay up from Shore power or my solar, but the Chassis batteries often need my help if the engine has not been run for a while so I have various ways to charge them if they are below 12.2 or 12.4 when I come out, before I start the coach.    If you can get on shore power then warm that block with the engine heater, my 2005 and my buddy's 2003 both have that plug hanging in the engine next to an outlet as described above.  Mine is only powered from shore or generator.    Good luck.  I will look forward to hearing how this comes out

OK y’all! I just replaced the chassis batteries and I’m up and running. I reiterate, they “looked fine” and measured at 14 + volts. Go figure. 

Thanks to all who commented. 

Brouck Sleight

2002 Dynasty

2020 Explorer ST

2022 Indian Pursuit