WANTED : FAIRA AIR GAUGES

Mike H

I'm needing a working rear tank Faria air gauge  GE0056A

If anyone has a front tank Faria air gauge I would be interested in one of those as well.  The front gauge would be a GE0055A

Yes, I have tried the salvage yards, ebay and amazon.

20220221_151318.jpg

20220221_151330.jpg

Edited by Mike H
Added photos

11 hours ago, Mike H said:

I'm needing a working rear tank Faria air gauge  GE0056A

If anyone has a front tank Faria air gauge I would be interested in one of those as well.  The front gauge would be a GE0055A

Yes, I have tried the salvage yards, ebay and amazon.

20220221_151318.jpg

20220221_151330.jpg

I did a topic on problems with finding older specialty gauges which were multiplexed or tied into a specific gauge cluster.  It was for an ACTI…but I suspect the same issue.  The solution was to purchase a dual set of air pressure gauges.  The ACTI gauges were part of an ACTI cluster.  The gauges were FINE, but the main gauge cluster had both front and rear air pressure sensors soldered onto the PCB and one transducer failed.  

The alarm, as the transducer was reading ZERO, was always on.  A crafty tech disabled it,  OPPS…no alarm for any gauge.  The solution was to install an auxiliary PSI gauge.  The problem was that the most widely used gauge company had a dual display for trucks…..but the digital readout maxed at 100 PSI.  My friend used it anyway.  I sent him a circuit and he had the shop pull both lines from the original Front and Rear transducers and put in a “T”.  One side went to a 60 PSI switch and the other to the gauge.  Then each switch was connected to a simple “buzzer” or chime.  Thus, he had a readout for from and rear as well as an alarm.

The gauge company did not make a dual display that went to 150,,but the gauges were small….so they recommended using two gauges side by side.  YOU MAY luck out and be able to install a new TELTEK gauge in the same holes.  I would look at that.  If the alarm is still working (drain the air down…then turn on the engine and see if you have both audible alarms), then you don’t need the switches.  

Best I can do.  Google TELTEK and look at the specs so see if gauge will work in your hole(s)….very simple and bulletproof….

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Tom Cherry said:

Thanks Tom,  Sounds to be quite involved for what you would think to be an easy solution.  I was able to find a YouTube video of a guy showing how to take one of these gauges apart and replacing the stepper motor inside.  The stepper motors are fairly cheap and readily available on line.  I got a pkg of 6 for like $30.  I gave it a try but it didn't work for me nut maybe I need to go back and check my solder connections.  The video made it look like a pretty straight forward fix.  I don't know if it could also be an issue with the Gateway box but I was able to find a new one on line for $400 so I might try swapping it out to see if that does anything.

One of my air pressure gauges doesn’t always start up when it Is cold, but normally does when it it warm. The same for my fuel pressure gauge.

I can hear a faint noise that is the gauges trying to restart repeatedly. I suspect something in the power supply in the gauge rather that the stepper motor on mine.

I don’t have a solution to offer up.

Paul

9 hours ago, pwhittle said:

One of my air pressure gauges doesn’t always start up when it Is cold, but normally does when it it warm. The same for my fuel pressure gauge.

I can hear a faint noise that is the gauges trying to restart repeatedly. I suspect something in the power supply in the gauge rather that the stepper motor on mine.

I don’t have a solution to offer up.

Paul

Hello Paul

Yeah,  mine were sort of acting like that also but eventually died.  If I looked real close I could see the needle shaking like it was stuck.  I found this interesting video on YouTube about to repair them by replacing the little stepper motor in them that you might find interesting as well. 

I did find this interesting other then he didn't actually show how he solders the new stepper motor in place.  Looks like it would be pretty painstaking process even if you have the right tools. 

Good Luck, keep us posted.  If successful you might have found yourself a nice niche market >>> fixing dash gauges as it seems I'm seeing more and more posts of them failing.

1 hour ago, Yoaks5 said:

I see these guys have some Faria gauges in stock. I didn't see the ones you're looking for but it may be worth a call just to verify. They bought a bunch of monaco stock when they went into bankruptcy. I have bought gauges for my coach from them but mine are Actia.

https://www.nwrvsupply.com/?s=Faria+&post_type=product&type_aws=true

Thanks Kevin.  Yeah, I tried them but no luck.  I think they are who I bought my speedometer replacement from.  I might be mistaken but I think those Faria gauges may have only been installed in the Exec & Sig models made out on Oregon back in the mid 2000's.  That system was also used in boats but I don't know which models or years.  If anyone knows where else they were used that might be helpful or ..... is there anything such as a boat salvage yard ?  🙂

I watched the YouTube video, and he is replacing a couple of capacitors as well.

I think I have an extra faulty gauge that someone sent me after they replaced theirs so I will try this out.

I will probably 3D print a jig to hold the gauge in so the bezel does not get scratched, and maybe to re-crimp the bezel.

Paul

2 hours ago, pwhittle said:

I watched the YouTube video, and he is replacing a couple of capacitors as well.

I think I have an extra faulty gauge that someone sent me after they replaced theirs so I will try this out.

I will probably 3D print a jig to hold the gauge in so the bezel does not get scratched, and maybe to re-crimp the bezel.

Paul

Did you understand what the purpose of changing the capacitors was for?  I didn't try that because that looked like it might have been a little more difficult .... for me anyway.  BTW, I have someone sending me a couple more 'dead' gauges to play with.  The needle was on fairly tight but you'll find some stepper motor kits on line that have a plastic tool included just for getting the needle off of the motor.  I did get one of those as well.  It takes a lot of patience to get that bezel off but it will eventually come off.  I lost count of how many times I went around it with a small screwdriver cautiously prying on it.

Edited by Mike H

8 hours ago, pwhittle said:

Capacitors can wear out over time and are a common failure point.

Did you try changing out the stepper motor on one yet?

Paul

AMEN TO THAT.  There are several brand of LED TV's that you can buy kits on eBay or other places and what you get is a box of 10 - 15 capacitors and solder and wicking (desoldering coiled mesh) and instructions.  These kits are brand and model specific.  The issue is usually very SLOW startup or coming on.  The common fix is that the capacitors on the Power Supply board have failed.  You take each one out and replace it with the proper MFD one.  Works like a champ.  10 minutes (20 to get the TV apart and back together) of actually working on the power supply board....BINGO IT WORKS.  My GS has a 15 YO Samsung or Sharp that is still chugging today and I fixed it about 8 years ago.

9 hours ago, pwhittle said:

Capacitors can wear out over time and are a common failure point.

Did you try changing out the stepper motor on one yet?

Paul

I did Paul but it still didn't work but that may be due to my soldering.  I'm going to check my solder joint and recheck it.  I hope I didn't get it to hot and mess the board up.  I didn't change the capacitors though.  I have some more 'dead' gauges coming that I can practice on.  I just got a call Monday about someone that has a NEW one but he wants $200 for it!

9 minutes ago, jacwjames said:

FWIW

I did a search for Marine salvage yards yesterday and did searches on the ones with websites.  Found some of the Faria gauges but none for air pressure, my guess is that air isn't on boats. 

Good Luck

Yeah, that's what I come up with.  Might have to get into the larger Yachts.  I'm wondering about truck salvage yards now.

I had some success today!

My front air pressure gauge would not work when it was cold.

I took it apart and put it in the fridge for a while, then applied GND and 12v to the input pins. I could hear it trying to start, and when it got warm it would return the needle to the home position.

I replaced the capacitors per the YouTube video, and tested it again, and it still worked!

I put it in the freezer for 30 mins and tested it again, and it worked!

I also had a failed air gauge that would not even make a noise when power was applied. I replaced the capacitors, with no improvement. I also changed the stepper motor and applied power, and the needle returned to the home position!

I tested both repaired gauges in the coach, and they both work as expected!

Thanks @Mike H for searching down the info that showed us the fix!

Paul

• 1 month later...

I have repaired about ten gauges now. In most gauges replacing just the capacitors works. If it still doesn’t work, I replace the stepper motor.

On the larger gauges some of the capacitors to replace are 100uF. I used https://www.mouser.com/ProductDetail/963-EMK325ABJ107MM-T

On some of the gauges the stepper motor mounts from the front of the circuit board rather than the back, and you need a different model motor and may have to cut 2mm off the shaft.

I used these X27.589 X25.589 Speedometer Stepper Motors Cluster Gauge Repair kit,7Pcs https://a.co/d/iknNNq3

The Speedo/display gauge look like you would have to cut the display out to get it apart enough to replace the stepper motor. You would then have to replace the display. I have not looked for a replacement part yet. I have repaired one by just replacing the capacitors.

I also 3D printed some bezel holders. These do two things: provide some support when removing the bezel so that the bezel does not spring out. This helps the most on the large gauges. These can also be used to recrimp the bezel using some groove joint pliers.

I’ll post some pictures and the STL files later.

Edited by pwhittle