Coolant Level Sensor Wicks Down To ECU Per Mike Canter 2-04-14 IRV Monaco Owner Forum

Go to solution Solved by David Pratt,

I purchased a 2004 Signature Conquest with the Detroit 60 last April.
I ran across 4,600 posts by "Mike Canter" on the IRV2 Monaco Owner's forum section. 
Mike owns a 2004 Signature Conquest with the Detroit 60.
He has done a lot of posts regarding the radiator tank coolant sensor leaking and wicking down inside the harness into the ECU unit. His ECU was ruined by this. 

He posted a picture of the brass sending unit that he used to replace the OEM plastic sending unit. See link below:

2004 Monaco Signature Jake Brake and Cruise Control Failure - Page 3 - iRV2 Forums

My 2004 Signature Conquest has the same radiator, but the sending unit is on the front and looks to be plastic.
My guess is that I should replace it with the brass sending unit as suggested by Mike. It certainly is a lot less expensive than replacing the ECU.  See below for a picture of my sending unit and a link to the replacement part recommended by Mike (I located it on eBay):

992354383_SendingUnit.jpg.572ae0dd4c4b339407faff5406af2550.jpg

NEW NOS OEM Detroit Diesel Coolant Sensor 1/4" NPT P/N 23520380 Free Ship | eBay

1. Has anyone had the problem that Mike has described?

2. If so, what were the symptoms?

3. How did you fix the problem?

My thanks to everyone in advance for your help.

This is absolutely the best forum I have ever belonged to.

I need all the help I can get, and I appreciate the advice very much.

Happy New Year to All,

Lee Smith

I am NOT a big IRV2 fan.  IRV2 is in business to make a profit.  In doing that they stole a lot of information off the Monacoer's site.  They had to be reminded that the information they stole was protected under copy right laws.  2 types of information they stole were from my posts.  

After awhile folks get tired of others making a fool of them and disappear in the woodwork.

Chuck B 2004 Windsor

Guest Ray Davis
1 hour ago, 96 EVO said:

I've often wondered what happened to Mike?

He was a moderator, and frequent poster over there, and seemed to just disappear 🤔!

Yeah, Mike was great.  He is one of those guys that seems to know just about everything.  I was told he went full time racing.  We have afew racers on this forum,  I need to see if they can stay with my Equinox.  😁 The only way I could win is to race until they ran out of fuel.

• Solution

Monaco issued a Technical Service Letter, <T.S.I. 161>, 09/12/2006 about this issue. The TSI effected all 2003 - 2007 Executives, Signatures, Marquis and Navigator Coaches.

The T.S.I. was an URGENT Notification and needed to be done ASAP. The service letter was for the inspection and/or replacement of the Overflow Reservoir Coolant Sensor. The OEM sensor was manufactured with a plastic body and was leaking coolant from the tank the sensor and the coolant was Wicking down the wiring harness to the engine control module,<ECM>. The T.S.I. Procedure was to inspect and if the sensor was Plastic to replace the sensor.

The Inspection was to unplug the harness from the sensor and if there was any wetness or signs of coolant in the plug to replace it immediately.

If there is moisture or coolant present on the plug the procedure was to remove the harness from the engine ECU and check for any moisture or coolant in the plug. If there was any moisture present it was recommended that the Harness be replaced. There is an alternate method of removing the coolant from the harness if you have moisture present on either plug.

The replacement Detroit Part Number is 23520380.

Monaco Corp also issued a 2006 Service Bulletin for all 2004-2007 Monaco Brand coaches with the DD60 for reprogramming the Engine ECU.

I have attached a copy of both.

Any Question you may contact me

TSI 161.pdf DD60 Service Bulliten.pdf

• Like 1

David,

I can't thank you enough for this help and all you do for this wonderful forum. What could have been a very hard time for me as I start my retirement at 70 has turned into an extremely interesting full time hobby.

Of course the time comes slow the hobby down and enjoy my very special Signature. See you in Tampa.

• 7 months later...
On 1/2/2023 at 8:54 AM, David Pratt said:

Monaco issued a Technical Service Letter, <T.S.I. 161>, 09/12/2006 about this issue. The TSI effected all 2003 - 2007 Executives, Signatures, Marquis and Navigator Coaches.

The T.S.I. was an URGENT Notification and needed to be done ASAP. The service letter was for the inspection and/or replacement of the Overflow Reservoir Coolant Sensor. The OEM sensor was manufactured with a plastic body and was leaking coolant from the tank the sensor and the coolant was Wicking down the wiring harness to the engine control module,<ECM>. The T.S.I. Procedure was to inspect and if the sensor was Plastic to replace the sensor.

The Inspection was to unplug the harness from the sensor and if there was any wetness or signs of coolant in the plug to replace it immediately.

If there is moisture or coolant present on the plug the procedure was to remove the harness from the engine ECU and check for any moisture or coolant in the plug. If there was any moisture present it was recommended that the Harness be replaced. There is an alternate method of removing the coolant from the harness if you have moisture present on either plug.

The replacement Detroit Part Number is 23520380.

Monaco Corp also issued a 2006 Service Bulletin for all 2004-2007 Monaco Brand coaches with the DD60 for reprogramming the Engine ECU.

I have attached a copy of both.

Any Question you may contact me

TSI 161.pdf 252.42 kB · 8 downloads DD60 Service Bulliten.pdf 200.87 kB · 11 downloads

I know this thread is old, but I have this issue and the wiring harness is burned up. Per the above, the recommendation is to replace the wiring harness. Does anyone know where I can get one? New or used (in working condition)? Please let me know if you have any thoughts.

Thanks.

Eric