No power to one set of plugs

Guest Ray Davis

I had a similar issue on my 03 Windsor. The pass slide ( kitchen ) and TV was dead.  I thought the problem had to be between the bedroom breaker and the Kitchen, not.  What I found was the 120v feed goes in the ceiling to the TV then along the right side to the slide, seems bass akwards but that's how mine is wired.   The elect receptacle behind the TV is also a junction box with twist connections and the hot wire had come loose.

That can be a pain to chase but I too believe you may have a GFI you have not found. These things are indeed snowflakes. One of mine is under the edge of the kitchen and one is near the floor on the passenger side. 

Grab another pair of eyes for a look-see. 

If you cannot find one, a voltmeter on each gfi you can find would be a good place to start. They fail as said. 

I too found a junction box with a bad connection and chasing that was a real challenge.

Using a Fox and Hound the signal injector was plugged into a dead outlet and the Hound sniffed around and found the junction box buried under a pile of wires and plumbing. Simple fix but really hard to find. 

I can think of another way as a last ditch method but will not share the suicide suggestion. Not yet anyway. 

2 hours ago, Michael OBrien said:

Passenger side plugs inside of unit along with the two that operate TV etc and the one under the belly are dead.  No breaker, no GFI reset, no idea on what is wrong.  Have reset inverter, turned off shore power and back on, and now I am stumped.

Two places.  If your GFCI w8ll not reset, look on side of inverter.  On Magnum, there will be, typically, TWO 20 Amp pin circuit breakers.  There are 2 circuits coming out.  One goes to microwave.   The other to the GFCI.  There is also a third breaker.  That is the incoming power to inverter from the 30 A breaker in the panel.  PUSH IN ALL OF THEM.  Should be able to reset GFCI. MICROWAVE should have lights and display.

NO JOY…. TURN OFF INVERTER ON MAIN PANEL. REMOVE the cover plate. One of the leads (going out) is loose.

NO JOY.  Find an EATON GFCI.  Pull out the old one.  Verify on it if it is a 15 or 20 Amp.  Replace with same size.  No EATON from an electrical supply house…then a Leviton or Hubbell.  Cheap,off brands will not correctly with the inverter

AArg, oldtimers hit yesterday. Totally forgot my passenger side was indeed run through the inverter. I had to change that to accommodate a temporary portable AC unit. 

Ivylog may have hit the nail on the head. 

On 1/3/2023 at 6:37 PM, Ivylog said:

Those outlets are powered through the inverter with 2 pin breakers on the side… one for the microwave and other for your problem . We’re you running a heater?

657FB205-FBA2-4C98-890A-744F31416447.jpeg

Have traced to a broken wire or junction box on the common wire from ice maker in fridge back to inverter somewhere, in the walls likely.   Need to find a radio tracer to pinpoint…to dig any further.  Will keep all you all posted, but if anyone has a 110v schematic for the 2003 Holiday Rambler Neptune 36’ that would be very helpful 

16 minutes ago, Michael OBrien said:

Have traced to a broken wire or junction box on the common wire from ice maker in fridge back to inverter somewhere, in the walls likely.   Need to find a radio tracer to pinpoint…to dig any further.  Will keep all you all posted, but if anyone has a 110v schematic for the 2003 Holiday Rambler Neptune 36’ that would be very helpful 

None in our files.  There are some Panther's but don't know if they are the "Twins".  There is a 2006 or 07 Neptune in the files.

NOW, FWIW, most of the inverter circuits have the "Outlets" going out on one piece of Romex to the GFCI.  There is OFTEN THREE wires on the GFCI.  INCORRECTLY hooked up.  Two on the LOAD SIDE.  One goes to the main kitchen circuits.  The other goes to the TV and such and Ice Maker one in the outside area.

Most folks "move" the icemaker circuit to the LINE side of the GFCI....and keep the outlets (per code) on the LOAD side.

As much as I can do for you...

10 hours ago, Michael OBrien said:

Michael, 

Unfortunately, the Monaco AC wiring diagrams only show outlets locations for each circuit.

You  will now need pull new replacement wire for the failed wire segment that you identified  That happened to me two years ago and I had to run a new wire segment behind my cabinetry since it is impossible to run new wire horizontally through RV walls without removing the thin plywood covering the walls.  This replacement took me 14 hours to complete, so get ready for a long day of work.

Hopefully, your failed wire segment will be where you have some cabinetry to hide the new wire.  If not, you can utilize panduit from Lowes or Home Depot to cover the new wire segment.

Edited by CAT Stephen

A lot of my wiring is in the ceiling.  This was done to be able to prewire the home runs to the different locations and then make the connections when they dropped the ceiling onto the house as the coach was being built

I had a problem last year, I was dry camping and running the generator before I went to bed and then all of a sudden it died.  I didn't even try to restart and just went to bed but the next day at a different location and it was a hot day in July.  So I started to trouble, tried to restart the generator and it wouldn't start.  I knew I had enough fuel so the first thing I did was shut off the breaker on the generator and it started but shut right back off again when I flipped the breaker back on.  I then tried this again with main 50 amp breaker in my service panel, tried to start the generator and it started but shut off again when I turned in on.  I then flipped all the breakers off, started the generator and started flipping breakers.   At that point I called my trip off and went home.

Long story short I finally found it was one of the circuits coming off the inverter.   Initially I thought it was the inverter but after calling Xantrex repair facility near me he thought the inverter was good and gave me some hints on repairing the circuit.  

I then started tracing that circuit.  To do this I actually removed the main service panel to access the wiring and that's when I found most of the wires went into the ceiling.  The circuit I had problems with was in the bedroom & bath circuit.  I ultimately found the routing went from the Subpanel>Engine Jbox through the ceiling>bedroom slide Jbox under bed>Bedroom TV outlet back through the ceiling (go figure) >base cabinet outlet in bedroom>vanity outlet> 1/2bath outlet>basement Outlet.   I had to physically trace this.  Here is a post that I did on IRV2 showing the steps (and frustration) troubleshooting the circuit. https://www.irv2.com/forums/f115/monaco-wiring-diagrams-and-circuit-routing-547757-2.html

S0 if a portion of your circuit is still good you will have to get creative running a new wire to the rest of the circuit.  I'd look for an outlet that has easier access to get a wire from the good outlet.  You will then have to abandon the wire form the good outlet to the outlet next in the circuit.  That's what I did, I just cut the wire, taped the end left it in place.  I was able to reactivate all my circuits doing this and left the bad section that was in the ceiling in place. 

This whole troubleshooting and fixing took me a several days.   Hate to think this might have cost if I took it to a shop!!!!

Edited by jacwjames