Cummins DPF Issue? Code SPN-3251

Back when a Trans Am was a teenagers dream, I bought one for my son's graduation. It had a default economy mode where under light acceleration it would shift from 1st gear directly to 4th. Thats how they made MPG listing look acceptable. The v8 LS1 could handle that and was OK for city driving but on open road, with aggressive pedal it would do its thing going through all gears and fly. Did not take long before we had the economy mode programmed out... Manufacturers find different ways to make the EPA readings look good.

30 minutes ago, Ivan K said:

Back when a Trans Am was a teenagers dream, I bought one for my son's graduation. It had a default economy mode where under light acceleration it would shift from 1st gear directly to 4th. Thats how they made MPG listing look acceptable. The v8 LS1 could handle that and was OK for city driving but on open road, with aggressive pedal it would do its thing going through all gears and fly. Did not take long before we had the economy mode programmed out... Manufacturers find different ways to make the EPA readings look good.

My 2000 Vette 6 speed had the Granny Shift.  1 - 4 if you were light footed.  The Vette online stores sold dummy plugs.  You disconnected a 2 pin plug.  You had basically protective covers for each one.  $20 for 2 plugs….but all you had to do was pop it back together.  I can’t recall, but I think it was to the solenoid inside the tranny that forced you to bypass 2 & 3.  No signal….as in no circuit….no activation…

My 8 speed C7 Auto is the best.  Even professional drivers can’t get the lap times with the RPM Matching manual 7 speed….that is a LOT of cogs….

29 minutes ago, Tom Cherry said:

My 2000 Vette 6 speed had the Granny Shift.  1 - 4 if you were light footed.  The Vette online stores sold dummy plugs.  You disconnected a 2 pin plug.  You had basically protective covers for each one.  $20 for 2 plugs….but all you had to do was pop it back together.  I can’t recall, but I think it was to the solenoid inside the tranny that forced you to bypass 2 & 3.  No signal….as in no circuit….no activation…

My 8 speed C7 Auto is the best.  Even professional drivers can’t get the lap times with the RPM Matching manual 7 speed….that is a LOT of cogs….

You are right about the plugs, forgot about those, it was the cat sensors that got programmed out. Ours is also a 2000, WS6, 6 speed manual. Still in son's hangar, looking pretty beside a big block Camaro with no economy mode whatsoever 😉

1 hour ago, Ivan K said:

Back when a Trans Am was a teenagers dream, I bought one for my son's graduation.  

My sister had the identical '77 Trans Am as the one Burt Reynolds drove in Smokey& the bandit. She owned it before the movie came out!

Regret not buying it from her, and storing it! Sure it would be worth a few bucks today!!

2008 Camelot ISL 400 tag axel. 
A little coach history.At 32000 mi. I chipped our coach ,I loved it,engine didn’t,randomly went to limp mode . Low fuel rail pressure,unhooked chip ,all’s well. Trips out West to biodiesel country, Regin increased noticeably,back home all normal.  80,000 mi. Check engine light, high crankcase pressure,no obvious problems. Almost home,exhaust sounds funny ,no turbo boost. Break exhaust loose,runs good ,good turbo. Clean DPF system all good,still  get warning light occasionally,high crankcase pressure but computer says 0 pressure ,very slight increase at higher RPM. Yes changed crank filter with valve cover gasket at 75,000. Coach has never been in a shop,so I know it’s not been computer upgraded. Frank Mc talked about this earlier. Is this just a Cummins thing ,can other shops upgrade? Hasn’t regin  since cleaning DPF,but  I’m still less than 100 hrs. Thanks for any thoughts, TommyL.

If your 2008 ISL has never been reflashed with a software update, you might be running revision #14.  They are up to revision #57.  There were lots of small fixes in between. 

Any shop who has Insite software and the Cummins Incal (Calibration) disk can reflash to the latest software update. 

When the shop does it, ask them for a PDF file on your engine.  If they don't know how to generate one, ask for the two Insite EIF files (before and after the reflash).  If you send me the EIF files I'll convert them to pdf so you can read them.  These reports are about 50 pages each and give a complete history on the engine including the last 10 DPF regenerations, an engine abuse history report and how the coach has been driven since birth.  Also ask the shop to reset the trip function.  Then, the next time someone connects using Insite, you can see how you are driving the coach.

1 hour ago, Frank McElroy said:

If your 2008 ISL has never been reflashed with a software update, you might be running revision #14.  They are up to revision #52.  There were lots of small fixes in between. 

Any shop who has Insite software and the Cummins Incal (Calibration) disk can reflash to the latest software update. 

When the shop does it, ask them for a PDF file on your engine.  If they don't know how to generate one, ask for the two Insite EIF files (before and after the reflash).  If you send me the EIF files I'll convert them to pdf so you can read them.  These reports are about 50 pages each and give a complete history on the engine including the last 10 DPF regenerations, an engine abuse history report and how the coach has been driven since birth.  Also ask the shop to reset the trip function.  Then, the next time someone connects using Insite, you can see how you are driving the coach.

So Frank

you have my last ECM print-out. If you kept it. How does one know about when to get the reflash? When and how does Cummins notify one to go in and get it. Inquiring minds want to know. At least I do!!!!!

Gary

1 hour ago, Gary M said:

So Frank

you have my last ECM print-out. If you kept it. How does one know about when to get the reflash? When and how does Cummins notify one to go in and get it. Inquiring minds want to know. At least I do!!!!!

Gary

I just looked through my files and sure enough I saved a copy of your Cummins ECM IEF file.  You have an ISC CM2150D engine with an ECM calibration code of AU90002.55.  That means you are on revision number 55.

I looked at the latest INCAL disk I have from 2014 and revision number 55 is the latest but it came out in 2014.  Check QuickServe with your engine SN to see if there is another update but don't be surprised if you have the latest revision.

Since inquiring minds want to know, I've attached both an XLSX (and PDF file just in case you don't have excel) showing all the software updates and what they fixed. 

Lots of information there and others can see what gets fixed with a typical software update when they show up at a Cummins shop with a complaint and a tech says they fixed the problem with a software update - assuming they checked the complaint against the software update solutions.  Some are covered under warranty if a customer has a complaint and others are not.  I see that revision number 55 fixes a problem with excess soot at high altitudes that would cause frequent DPF regens.

Hope all this detail helps you and maybe help others understand the importance of getting the latest software updates on their engines..

GaryM.xlsx GaryM.pdf

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Frank McElroy said:

I just looked through my files and sure enough I saved a copy of your Cummins ECM IEF file.  You have an ISC CM2150D engine with an ECM calibration code of AU90002.55.  That means you are on revision number 55.

I looked at the latest INCAL disk I have from 2014 and revision number 55 is the latest but it came out in 2014.  Check QuickServe with your engine SN to see if there is another update but don't be surprised if you have the latest revision.

Since inquiring minds want to know, I've attached both an XLSX (and PDF file just in case you don't have excel) showing all the software updates and what they fixed. 

Lots of information there and others can see what gets fixed with a typical software update when they show up at a Cummins shop with a complaint and a tech says they fixed the problem with a software update - assuming they checked the complaint against the software update solutions.  Some are covered under warranty if a customer has a complaint and others are not.  I see that revision number 55 fixes a problem with excess soot at high altitudes that would cause frequent DPF regens.

Hope all this detail helps you and maybe help others understand the importance of getting the latest software updates on their engines..

GaryM.xlsx 16.4 kB · 2 downloads GaryM.pdf 222.77 kB · 5 downloads

UNBELIEVABLE.  Based on Gary having an ISC and I have an ISL, can you go through my file (ECM scan that you did in 2017) and give me the same info as to what the various updates that I don't have do.  I am, per your printout, at REV 43.  That was done in early 2009 when I bought the coach.  It has not been in a Cummins shop but once and they never provided, nor did I know, what the revs were.  I think you said once that mine was up to Rev 52, but I need to understand what the updates are and if I need to worry about them.  

Thanks....

On 1/9/2023 at 8:12 AM, Frank McElroy said:

If you get that Cummins Insite EIF file, please send it to my email address -  fcmcelr@yahoo.com.  I can read the file and send you back a PDF file that you can read.

I recieved the EIF file and emailed it to you, Thanks

5 hours ago, Tom Cherry said:

UNBELIEVABLE.  Based on Gary having an ISC and I have an ISL, can you go through my file (ECM scan that you did in 2017) and give me the same info as to what the various updates that I don't have do.  I am, per your printout, at REV 43.  That was done in early 2009 when I bought the coach.  It has not been in a Cummins shop but once and they never provided, nor did I know, what the revs were.  I think you said once that mine was up to Rev 52, but I need to understand what the updates are and if I need to worry about them.  

Thanks....

Tom, you have an ISL-CM2150D engine with an ECM Code AU90005.43.  Yes, it is revision 43.  In my previous posts, I mentioned that the latest revision is 52 but that was an error - the latest revision is 57.  I have the same ECM code on my engine and I do have revision 57 loaded.  I also checked on QuickServe and the latest ECM calibration update Cummins published is 57. 

Here is the same info I posted for Gary but for your engine.  There are a few updates that you might consider as a reason to update the ECM software on your engine.  I'll let you decide.

Interesting on how this engine was getting a new calibration update just about every month for the first couple years.  And to think mine left Monaco with version #14 in April 2007.

Happy bedtime reading.

I hope this information helps others with a 2008 Cummins ISL.

TomC.pdf TomC.xlsx

1 hour ago, TX Bella said:

I recieved the EIF file and emailed it to you, Thanks

John - I received your file and emailed you back a 56 page PDF file with my initial comments.  I'll take a closer look tomorrow.

Bottom line is that your DPF is seeing a normal soot load and regenerating normally but now about every 5-10 hours.  Even older regens weren't the greatest at 60 hour intervals.  Something is generating soot and getting worse.  I put some of my thoughts in the email.

• 3 months later...

To Frank Mc. Jan. 11 Post . Having MH. Reflash tomorrow, tech offered to do it here since they have a lake home close to us . A win for us ,150 mi to his shop. Question, I’ve read were original programs were lost ,is this something to worry about with reflash. Also will he need to bring anything extra to do a PDF or EIF . Sorry ,I nothing about computers, just want to cover all my bases.Thanks TommyL 08 Camelot 400 ISL tag 

When the tech does the software reflash update all the original parameters/features will be copied from the original ECM setting onto his laptop and then copied back to the new software.  If there is a glitch, you have the features and parameters in the printed file I sent you.  The tech will bring the Cummins Insite software and the Cummins INCAL disk to do the update.  All he'll do is to follow the screen prompts which will require a few key on key off cycles.  Should take less than 15 minutes.  When he's done, ask him for a copy of the new EIF file.  (He can do that via the Insite software.)  Send it to me and I'll convert it to a PDF file for you to read and save for future reference.  He could also give you a PDF file via Insite if you like.

A static regen could take an hour or so based on my experience and that failed and they had to install a new filter and some sensors but it sounds like you have a great handle on it.

IF possible, ask him about an HP Uprate before he comes out. He may be able to purchase some sort of flash upgrade and install that too. Tampa Cummins did an authorized uprate on my ISL taking it from 400 to 450 HP. When they did all the flash upgrades on mine around 2012 when the DPF failed, the mileage dropped 1 mpg and the thing lost a lot of umph when accelerating and climbing hills.

It was only recently I managed to get a shop to do the Uprate. It cost me about $350 and took about one and a half hours from the time the tech set foot in the rv in the parking lot, downloaded the uprate, and then installed it. 

The shop charged me their hourly rate versus a flat rate of $500 so was very happy with the results in two ways. It accelerates once again but I have not been over the tall mountain passes of the west since doing the uprate. 

No mechanical changes were needed for this minor uprate. 

Frank Mc.

tech did ecm. Update from 26 to52 . That being the latest update according to his Insight WiFi connection.He seamed very knowledgeable about what he was doing, but he or his equipment was unable to give EIF. PDF. To us.We spent 2hr on engine history,codes,hours,# of regeneration,idling time &one force Regin.plus a lot of questions and answers . I think we got our money’s worth 200.00. 
Myron T  We just finished at 7:00 pm didn’t see your post till today. Tech mentioned hp uprate ,offered to do it if he had whatever it took ( knowledge,program etc.)not the guru Frank is ,but is 1/2 our age . PS regin showed successful. Tommy 08 camelot Isl 400 DOC. DPF.

5 minutes ago, TommyL said:

Tech mentioned hp uprate ,offered to do it if he had whatever it took ( knowledge,program etc.)not the guru Frank is ,but is 1/2 our age . PS regin showed successful. Tommy 08 camelot Isl 400 DOC. DPF.

When I emailed them my engine serial number, they said I was at my max at 400hp!