UV and Slide Lock Cover Rivets

In the past I've used the rivets for the slide lock covers from the parts list (on page 136: Nylon Blind Drive Rivets from Product Components Corporation), but they have not done well with UV and sun damage.  They are fading and becoming brittle, and many of the replacement rivets I've installed over the last couple years are have broken already.  I contacted PCC about UV protection and materials, and they said to do a run in UV resistant materials would need to be in the quantities of thousands.  I don't have a price for the UV version yet; the regular quote says "dyed black, not UV black".   The few factory original rivets I still have seem to be better without the fading.

How have any of you dealt with UV damage on their rivets?  Any other sources for these rivets, or other suggestions?  Should I start being more diligent about putting 303  on any new rivets I install?

Our  covers were held on with SS screws. Are you saying that they were originally held with rivets? We took our slidelocks off of the front slide bc the one one on the rear side of slide got hung up in the frame and bent. We are looking to put the lock back on (have realigned the slide) and have misplaced the strike plate that causes the lock to activate.  Any ideas where to get replacement?

6 hours ago, eddie4ne said:

Our  covers were held on with SS screws. Are you saying that they were originally held with rivets? We took our slidelocks off of the front slide bc the one one on the rear side of slide got hung up in the frame and bent. We are looking to put the lock back on (have realigned the slide) and have misplaced the strike plate that causes the lock to activate.  Any ideas where to get replacement?

Yes, they had black plastic rivets with a center to hammer them in and hold it.  I thought I had a few spares (was going to take a picture) but can't find them at the moment.  I'd assume the nylon rivet would be nicer on the wiper seals than steel/SS rivets or screws, but certainly not as durable.

As for the strike plate, on ours it's a pretty simple piece of steel (or aluminum?); if you can't find one from a wrecker/salvage yard, I'd think it would be easiest to take one off your rig and take it to a metal shop and have them fabricate one for you.

2 years. Seem to be OK only in the sun for 4 to 5 months a year.  

Trying to remember if I had to cut the tip off because some seem to be a bit  to long .....still held.  They are knot screw in just for looks.

Edited by Onthego