Correct Ride Height for 2008 Signature?

Go to solution Solved by vito.a,

Anyone have the correct ride height for a 2008 Signature? Just purchased this and looks like it's riding "low" ... some of that, I'm sure, is that it just wasn't designed with the ground clearance that my 04 Camelot had.

As I understand from the manuals, you measure between the top and bottom support plates for a "specified distance" -- but no mention of what the distance is!

Thanks!

Call Josams in Orlando.  Ask to speak to Barry, the Shop Manager.  It might take a little time for him to return your call.  He will give you the info.  Tell him you were given his name by the Monacoer's site.  I'm willing to bet that this is correct as there were, to the best of my knowledge, any chassis upgrades or changes.  The measurement is between the bottom EDGE of the top of the plate plate (where the air bag rides) and the top EDGE of the bottom plate where the air bag rides. 

The MH needs to be driven onto a LEVEL surface....like a shop floor.  You dump the air out (all four corners), then let it settle.  Some will turn off the engine.  Then restart the engine and put the level pad into TRAVEL.  That should start to raise it....if the system required it to be in DRIVE, leave the parking brake set and then put in drive and let it "air up" 

Here is a post that explains the measurement....the 9" is for a Tag Axle....

To resolve one of the central questions (what is the correct ride height supposed to be on a 2001 Dynasty Tag Axle?), I called Monaco technical services this afternoon to get the official story. What I got was both stories, but I think that we have been guessing is right. You will remember that the issue is that my manual on the 2001 Dynasty tag says that the front height should be 9.5" and the rear height 11" measured from the "H" frame to the coach frame. However, a previous post in this thread showed what looked like an "official table" which confirmed this data, but a footnote with the notation that either front or rear on a 2001 Dynasty tag was 9". He first said that the 9.5 and 11" heights were right, but when I noted that both the Exec and the Sig in 2001 which are tags, and show as 9" front and 9" rear and my coach was a tag axle. He said he needed to check some other documentation and put me on hold. When he came back, he said, "a 2001 Dynasty tag should be set to 9" front and rear just like the Sig and Exec". The single axle Dynasty was supposed to be set to 9.5" front and 11" rear. He was quite sure that was right. So, there you go. I am going to use the 9" x 9" dimension and adjust from there.thumb.gif

Look in your manual under CHASSIS and you will probably find a page(S) similar to the ones that I am attaching.  

Signature 93          11" front ; 10 1/2" rear
  94          11" front ; 11" rear

00 - 06    9" front and rear

Ride Height 1.pdf Ride Height 2..pdf

Whenever I saw a Signature while traveling, it always looked to me that it had very low ground clearance versus my Windsor and my Dynasty. The custom Monaco Mud Flap always looked like it was dragging the pavement.

Josam's is the very BEST place for any chassis work on our coaches. Luckily, they are only a one-hour drive from me. I still have to make an appointment to get some work done on my Dynasty before leaving in May/June of this year heading back to New Hampshire for the summer.

I have been told 8" to 9" between the plates on the air bag. A tiny bit of adjustment goes a long way. You need t be under the RV when you set it. It needs to be idling, in neutral, brake set and in travel mode. There is room under there for fairly big guys. Mine is set at about 8.5".

56 minutes ago, Doug and Nicki said:

I have been told 8" to 9" between the plates on the air bag. A tiny bit of adjustment goes a long way. You need t be under the RV when you set it. It needs to be idling, in neutral, brake set and in travel mode. There is room under there for fairly big guys. Mine is set at about 8.5".

Pull the parts list.  Your info is in there.  I THINK, from looking this morning, that your chassis is the same as the Signature….the manual says or maybe one of the posts somewhere else said within 1/4”….so it would be 8 7/8 to 9 1/8.  My shop, which was the GOTO place in Elkhart set it exactly at 9”. Front is easy….they articulate…so it is the same.  Rear you gotta adjust….and mine is NOT a Tag.

Monaco provided the ride height measurement in the owners manual with a detailed adjustment procedure all the way through 2006 Executives. For some reason the measurement for 2007 and later was not included in the manuals. I suspect it is the same for the Signature The Executive and Signature are almost identical and I don't think there were any chassis changes, you can use the 2006 Executive or Signature measurement provided in the 2006 manual. I'd quote a number but my feeble memory is not that good. You can get a copy of the manual at the Monaco website. Hope this helps.

To throw a bit of controversy into the discussion, my manual says to measure between rail and h-frame, not between mounting plates as a popular belief.  That makes about 1/2" difference, probably still not that much to seriously worry about. And yes, the mudflap was pretty low so I cut and pulled it up as much as the frame allowed. 

Quote: Suspension height distance is measured from the top of the H-Frame to the bottom of the Main Frame Rail. Specified distances may vary plus or minus 1/4”.

Screenshot_20230110_102316_Office.jpg

• Solution

The 2006 Monaco Signature calls for 9" between air spring mounting plates (diagram on page 300).  This height should be maintained within ¼ inch.  Like Don said, the 2008 owners manual does not list the details that are in the 2006 manual. 

Adjusting Ride Height
Preparations to adjust the suspension ride height:
• Park the motorhome on a fl at, level surface.
• Fully charge the air system.
• Turn ignition on.
• Ensure suspension is at normal ride height.
• Ensure air level system is in travel mode.
Start by checking the distance in the front.
1. Measure the distance between the mounting plates
of the air springs.
2. If the measurement is off, loosen the adjusting lock
nut at the eccentric slot on the valve.
3. Move the plastic arm up to raise suspension
height and infl ate all the front air springs. Move
the plastic arm down to lower suspension
height and defl ate the air springs. Make
adjustments in small increments.
4. After obtaining the specified distance, insert
a 1/8" or 7/64" twist drill bit into the plastic
arm and valve body. This will center the travel
of internal piston. Tighten adjusting lock nut
between 60 to 80 in/lbs.
5. Check adjustments made by using the Air Dump switch to deflate air
springs. Start the engine and allow the air system to become fully
charged. Allow the suspension to adjust and come to a neutral setting.
6. Re-check the suspension height measurement. Follow the same procedure
for each rear control valve.
7. Re-check the front suspension height after adjusting the rear height
control valves.
NOTE:
DO NOT modify length of the linkage rods. Make necessary
adjustments using eccentric slot on the ride height control valve.

Thanks All!

Barry from Josam's: 9" for 08 Signature (call back within 2 hours, great service!)

REV support: 9" for 2008 Signature (answer within 2 hours from monacocoach.com website "contact us" submission, more great service!)

Also, found the "parts list" ... if you don't know what that is (I didn't), go to downloads at the top of the page. Wow, what a great resource!

And, from the Monaco technical tips (also in downloads): ride height can be adjusted up or down a maximum of 1" to affect ride height. RAISING the ride height SOFTENS the ride (seemed a bit counterintuitive to me, but it's due to a longer amount of compression). Note this is from Tech Tip #199 - Tech Tip #20 actually says the opposite.

59 minutes ago, MPfeif said:

And, from the Monaco technical tips (also in downloads): ride height can be adjusted up or down a maximum of 1" to affect ride height. RAISING the ride height SOFTENS the ride (seemed a bit counterintuitive to me, but it's due to a longer amount of compression). Note this is from Tech Tip #199 - Tech Tip #20 actually says the opposite.

Doesn't sound right to me either 🤔!

5 hours ago, MPfeif said:

Thanks All!

Barry from Josam's: 9" for 08 Signature (call back within 2 hours, great service!)

REV support: 9" for 2008 Signature (answer within 2 hours from monacocoach.com website "contact us" submission, more great service!)

Also, found the "parts list" ... if you don't know what that is (I didn't), go to downloads at the top of the page. Wow, what a great resource!

Since you have talked to Barry, maybe a followup question.  Does he adjust up or down or stay within the 1/4” tolerance spec provided by Monaco.  

If so, then how much would he vary and which way softens and which way hardens.  When someone provides a spec and they are the OEM, I usually follow that, unless my field experience or engineering understanding is 100% tuned in and I feel the need to change.

No offense to “tech tips….” But I have never heard of setting it to suit your “posterior”.  All my understanding from a long and winding suspension upgrade and comments made here is the “ride comfort” is more of a factor of shocks…

I will also throw out a factoid that many may be aware of….or not.  Monaco had a sweetheart deal as well as some some SUPPOSED under the table arrangements with Bilstein.  The early S chassis (Dynasty and up) were “over shocked” and were way too harsh. That is why Koni was a very favorite replacement as it was valved more for comfort than the OEM Bilstein. Then after some upper management changes and some organizational changes in the purchasing department, the shocks were toned down.  Then Bilstein came out with the “comfort shock” as they were losing the replacement market to Koni.

Source Engineering jumped into the fray and did a thorough R&D project with owners, professional drivers, MH’ purchased for the test and others.  Bilstein sent their “R&D Shock Van” to Source and many different valving and orifice sizes were tested.  The lower end rigs like mine got K-Mart special shocks that had a useful life of maybe 15 - 20K….unless you enjoyed an oscillating up and down roller coaster ride.  NO BS.  We took a trip to the NC outer banks and there was a very long bridge. The expansion joints were the pits.  I was driving maybe 40 MPH and my DW turned green….it was up and down like a Yo-Yo.  My 9 YO GS and 6 YO GD were screaming with glee.  Let’s turn around and do that again….that’s cool.  Comparing a $350K MH’s ride to an amusement park ride was NOT what I wanted.

I researched and decided on Source Shocks and my DW, on a long fall trip later on could read a book without a headache.  She was half through TN and I asked her….good book….??  YES…almost finished it (15 hours out).  How’s the head?  OMG….you are right.  I have been reading and no eye strain or headaches as before.  I don’t care what they cost….you did good.

SO….I question some “tech tips” without knowing the MH and what shocks are on board and how finely tuned one’s rear padding is….

Would really like some Feedback from Barry

To me, the ride hight setting is primarily based on 2 factors, for the airbags to rest at close to center or designed position between compressed and extended, the second and mechanically most important, is the driveshaft angle. The shorter the driveshaft, the more critical the ride hight. I would not sacrifice u-joint life for supposed comfort, if 1"even made a difference.

• Like 1