Saur Danfoss fan motor

I have my radiator and other cooling units out for service. Thinking that I will repair, clean and restore all before they fail on a trip. Question is this, Should I replace my Hydraulic fan drive motor at this time as a  proactive effort? It is not leaking and works as it should. Coach is a 2004 Signature with Detroit Series 60. 85K miles. We are replacing all hydraulic hoses, cooling hoses and pipes and a two year old exhaust system that is rusted through. ugh.  It is a Saur Danfoss that was built in January 2004 according to its tag.  

While I subscribe to the philosophy "If it ain't broke, don't 'fix' it" in this case I might reconsider. The motor will cost you about $300 give or take. If it fails, that's about what the labor will cost to fix it. So the choice is yours. It's 16 yrs old and 85k miles...I'd probably replace it.....Dennis

Another member just paid $970 shipped in from England. 5 or 6 days delivery. I'm thinking the limies also sell a rebuild kit.  Perhaps I get a new motor and rebuild my old one as a spare?

How often do you change your Hydraulic fluid and filter ?

Those hydraulic motors are used 24/7 on farm, construction, mining  and military equipment for many, many years.

They are very efficient and trouble free as long as the hydraulic oil is free of moisture and dirt, residue. 

Personally,  I chang filter and fluid annually just like we do in our trucks and farm equipment. 

If your seales are good and not leaking another 16 years is very do able.

For the miles you run.

Mine two are original, no leaks, 99 model with 130 thousand miles. 

In my life time.  I dont see changing mine.

Good luck.

• Like 1

If your hydraulic pump and motors are performing as designed I'd be hesitant to rebuild.   I worked in mining for +30 years and from experience rebuilding is not always the optimal solution.  It might be more prudent to buy a new pump/motor and keep as a spare since your chances of having a problem in the near future will increase due to the dismantling and reassembly of the system. 

I would advise that you pay attention to preventing any contamination into your system.  This would be the risk of doing a major service that you've described.  

I've seen these pump/motor system work in a closed loop system 24/7/ 365 days for years without a problem.  Filtering is the key. 

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

I rebuilt our hydraulic pump as the seal in the front of the pump was leaking hydraulic fluid across into the transmission fluid.  This is on a 2004 Signature as well.   I replaced the small hoses on the pump drive assembly as they were leaking.   I used a new gasket and some Ultragrey gasket sealer reinstalling the pump.  I also changed the hydraulic fluid and filter.   All is working well now.  If you are concerned, maybe think about rebuilding the pump but as others have said these hydraulic motors are designed to run hundreds of hours.  

The most difficult part of this is draining 50-55 qts of hydraulic oil and loosening the large hydraulic hoses.   

The Detroit 60 should use a wax valve mechanical hydraulic fan controller so you should be good there.  The Cummins engines use a Sauer Danfoss electric controller that fails frequently.  Most of us end up converting to the mechanical wax valve controller.  

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I believe the Series 60 Detroit came from the factory with a wax valve fan speed controller attached to the side of the radiator.  The Cummins engines used a Sauer Danfoss electronic controller that fails quite often.  

Edited by vito.a

• 1 year later...
22 hours ago, Chuck B 2004 Windsor said:

I do not see any Saur Danfoss products on their web site.  Chuck B 2004 Windsor

Whitehouse products may have what you need but you have to play with the part number.  If you query a part number you have you may not get any hits, they use a back slash in their part numbers and it has to be in the right spot/spacing.  In the past I've been able to find some stuff but not easy. 

On 4/14/2022 at 7:28 AM, slemnah said:

What was the part number of the fan motor? Someone on another forum needs to know. Is a rebuild kit available?

Steve

05 Panther

What is the make/model of the coach they are looking for a pump/motor for???  

One recommendation would be to take the pump or motor to a good hydraulic shop.  If it's just a matter of replace seals they may be able to repair it.