Slide gate valve stuck shut 2002 Windsor Monaco

cmjosborn
Go to solution Solved by jacwjames,

The black water tank is full. The slide gate tee handle appears to be detached from the slide and will not open. Has anyone had this issue and suggested operation to drain the tank? I’ll replace the valve if I can get it drained. One option I saw was to cut the valve housing to access the gate with pliers?

cut the valve you

The black water tank is full. The slide gate tee handle appears to be detached from the slide and will not open. Has anyone had this issue and suggested operation to drain the tank? I’ll replace the valve if I can get it drained. One option I saw was to cut the valve housing to access the gate with pliers?

The T valve handle typically just screws to the chrome shaft.

If for some reason that is stripped, you can use pliers to pull the shaft out to empty the tank (certainly the discharge hose is connected first)

Once all is empty, I would flush the tanks and empty again.

Then let the drain valve sit open.

Replace the blade valve / T handle with new.  Simply remove the four screws around the perimeter of the discharge pipe, put a drain pan underneath, crack open the joint, remove the valve, clean stuff, lubricate the new valve, replace valve, snug the screws in a progressive torque cross pattern.  Not super tight.

I had this happen to me. The T handle thread stripped and I was left wth a closed  value and the T handle and shaft in my hand! I hand to cut the top off the housing so I could grab the gate slide with a vice grip and open it halfway. The rest is simply   replacing the value. Good luck! 

We had that several years ago and the gate valve is well hidden. We had the dealership deal with the potential flood.

They were able to fix it and we have not had it recur. When asked they said the tech was able to rotate the cable/handle, whatever that really means. Just something to try.

I saw a video in the last week about oiling the cable and in the video is shows the cable and how it is attached with a grub screw to the valve slide. If you can get to the valve that would be the thing to look for.

I looked for the email with video but I guess I deleted it.

If the handle and rod are completely detached from the blade of the dump valve, then your only alternative is to find a Septic Service that will come out and attempt to pump out the black tank through the opening in the toilet.

Or, you would have to build some sort of container with a spout for under the waste pipes that would funnel the waste out of the bay into another container on the ground where the septic service could suck up the waste into their truck. Once you have all of that in position then disassemble the valves and let the waste flow. 

Get a Valterra twist on waste valve and then open the gate valve as suggested by others with the Valterra closed. Then you would have control of discharge.

Gary 05 AMB DST

Get a Valterra twist on waste valve and then open the gate valve as suggested by others with the Valterra closed. Then you would have control of discharge.

Gary 05 AMB DST

Get a Valterra twist on waste valve. Put the Valterra on the waste pipe fitting and close the valve. You then can open the old waste valve as described by others. You would then have discharge control.

Gary 05 AMB DST

5 minutes ago, Gary 05 AMB DST said:

Gary 05 AMB DST

Gary 05 AMB DST

Get a Valterra twist on waste valve. Put the Valterra on the waste pipe fitting and close the valve. You then can open the old waste valve as described by others. You would then have discharge control.

Gary 05 AMB DST

Hate a repeater! Hate a repeater!

Gary 05 AMB DST

The attachable gate valve is a great idea. If you cut apart that gate valve housing, it's going to shoot the poop water all over the place. I would get a container ready to catch that and wear gloves and googles. It will most likely get on you. Get the new gate valve setup with drain hose first. Then once you open the old gate valve, then open the new one. That might take off some of the pressure from the area you cut apart. 

There's a video tutorial on Youtube about how you can drill 2 holes in the outside edge of the gate valve and insert 2 small screws. 3 or 4 times a year, when the valve is closed, I remove those screws and spray some lubricant in there. This will lube the seals. It also makes it easier to slide which could reduce the chance your handle will break off. When I replaced my gate valves, I also treated those rubber seals with 303 Protectant. Put them in the sun. They're typically black and will warm up a bit and then the rubber will soak up the 303. 

I would tread lightly with cutting open that gate valve. It will work, but you're going to have potentially a face full of sh**ty water. By all means, keep your mouth closed.  :)

• Like 3

Just cut the end off at the red lie to expose the inside then grab the valve blade with  pliers and gently pull it back enough to open the gate and empty the tank. Hold the blade until the tank is empty. Go get a new valve fast. 

6E438E17-3DE2-4B53-B3B9-4C67DDB3729F.jpeg

• Like 1