Aqua Hot water temp low

Bill C
Go to solution Solved by Bill C,

I have a 2001 Dynasty with the Aqua Hot-AHE-100-01S. I have had so many problems with it over the years, but at least it is finally running on both the 110v and the diesel burning modes. The problem is that the water temp is barley warm in the shower.  I wouldn't call it cold, but it is definitely not very warm.

In coach heat mode it seems to put out reasonably warm air from the floor registers. 

Is there an adjustable thermostat for the shower water temp?

When we shower we have both the diesel burner and the 110v heating element on at the same time.

I don't know if it is significant, but when the diesel burned did not work, it seemed like the 110v mode provided a reasonably warm shower. 

And lastly, it is winter time, so could the outside cold temps make the shower water cooler, even with the diesel and 110v modes both on?

Thanks,

Bill

Bill, I would try turning it back and forth a few times, if it will turn, then returning it to the original setting. If no joy, then small increments turning it one way or the other would be my next option. I can’t find any adjustment procedures in the manual, so hopefully someone with your model will chime in. Good luck.

This happens when in extremely cold weather.  I worked in Yellowstone for several years and the incoming water temp is about 38 degrees!  Best thing you can do with that cold water is keep your tank full and use the water pump.  The tanks will get the water "warmer" just from Aqua Hot heat in the compartment.  When we get there in mid April a shower is just about all hot water, very little cold, even with diesel and electric on.  Try this before monkeying with an otherwise normal AQH.

Best solution...head South.  Except it's 25 degrees here in Mid-Florida this morning.  Brrrrr  global warming!

Guest Ray Davis
15 hours ago, Corkman said:

Thanks for the info Frank. I didn't find it, but which way do I turn it to increase the hot water temp?

The tempering valve is almost hidden, it's under/below the burner.  I doubt you can even turn the knob without removing the burner.

Image result for Aqua Hot Tempering Valve Location. Size: 185 x 185. Source: heatmyrv.com

They do malfunction, but replacing would be a real pain, plus the Aqua-Hot stores want a fortune $250 to $350 for a $50 item.  However you can buy the inner parts to rebuild.  That is a simple very doable job once the burner is out of the way.   Her is a rebuild kit.

watts-repair-clamps-lf70a-rk-64_145.jpghttps://www.homedepot.com/p/Watts-1-2-in-to-3-4-in-Repair-Kit-for-Lead-Free-Tempering-Valve-LF70A-RK/205492524?irgwc=1&cm_mmc=afl-ir-10078-456723-irv2.com&clickid=QTnxC3X0VxyIRbRx-t1KvV3dUkAwMl2dLwa3Ts0

Twomed has a good suggestion. Heating 55F water will be warmer than 38F water. One final suggestion to add to the others is to verify that any faucet you have that has a shut-off onto the head (outdoor shower for example), make sure the water valves are off. If hot and cold valves are on but the head is off the cold water will back-feed to the hot. 

Yes, Twomed has the easiest idea.  Paul W first told me about it, and it works well. I fill the tank the day prior and overnight the water in it warms up to basement temperature.  Then this basement wate rtank water mixes with the Aua Hot to make warmer shower water.  

Also, your electric element will raise the Aqua Hot reservoir by an additional 10 degrees but it takes a couple of hours.  

8 hours ago, Twomed said:

This happens when in extremely cold weather.  I worked in Yellowstone for several years and the incoming water temp is about 38 degrees!  Best thing you can do with that cold water is keep your tank full and use the water pump.  The tanks will get the water "warmer" just from Aqua Hot heat in the compartment.  When we get there in mid April a shower is just about all hot water, very little cold, even with diesel and electric on.  Try this before monkeying with an otherwise normal AQH.

Best solution...head South.  Except it's 25 degrees here in Mid-Florida this morning.  Brrrrr  global warming!

That's what I have been doing ever since the beginning of the cold weather, but the water is still not really warm like it used to be. It might have been like this for a long time, but we never noticed it because we usually don't camp in the winter.

BTW, I HAVE a house in FL (and winter there), but I need to be in North Carolina for the winter this year to finish my Tiny Home Subdivision here in the NC Mountains.

Bill

8 hours ago, Ray Davis said:

The tempering valve is almost hidden, it's under/below the burner.  I doubt you can even turn the knob without removing the burner.

Image result for Aqua Hot Tempering Valve Location. Size: 185 x 185. Source: heatmyrv.com

They do malfunction, but replacing would be a real pain, plus the Aqua-Hot stores want a fortune $250 to $350 for a $50 item.  However you can buy the inner parts to rebuild.  That is a simple very doable job once the burner is out of the way.   Her is a rebuild kit.

watts-repair-clamps-lf70a-rk-64_145.jpghttps://www.homedepot.com/p/Watts-1-2-in-to-3-4-in-Repair-Kit-for-Lead-Free-Tempering-Valve-LF70A-RK/205492524?irgwc=1&cm_mmc=afl-ir-10078-456723-irv2.com&clickid=QTnxC3X0VxyIRbRx-t1KvV3dUkAwMl2dLwa3Ts0

Thank you for the good info Ray. I was actually able to move the valve. By using a screw driver and hammer I was able to tap the top of the valve, and the bottom of the valve and could turn it about a full turn each way, but it didn't seem to make any difference so I suspect the valve is bad. Thanks to your help, I ordered the part from Home Depot and should be able to pick it up tomorrow. I'm not looking forward to rebuilding it, but I also want a warm/hot shower, so I will take the time and rebuilt it. If you have rebuilt it, do you have any pointers?

Thanks Again,

Bill

23 hours ago, Frank Bergamo said:

Bill, I would try turning it back and forth a few times, if it will turn, then returning it to the original setting. If no joy, then small increments turning it one way or the other would be my next option. I can’t find any adjustment procedures in the manual, so hopefully someone with your model will chime in. Good luck.

I tried turning it all the way one way, testing it, then all the way the other way, and testing it. I suspect the valve needs to be rebuilt.

Thanks for the suggestion Frank.

Guest Ray Davis
2 hours ago, Corkman said:

Thank you for the good info Ray. I was actually able to move the valve. By using a screw driver and hammer I was able to tap the top of the valve, and the bottom of the valve and could turn it about a full turn each way, but it didn't seem to make any difference so I suspect the valve is bad. Thanks to your help, I ordered the part from Home Depot and should be able to pick it up tomorrow. I'm not looking forward to rebuilding it, but I also want a warm/hot shower, so I will take the time and rebuilt it. If you have rebuilt it, do you have any pointers?

Thanks Again,

Bill

I did rebuild mine but it was a long time ago.  As I recall it was about as simple as can be once the burner is out of the way.  Even that is pretty easy and it's a good time to look things over in there.  You should be able to just lay the burner out of the way with hoses and wires still attached. The one pointer I will suggest is be very careful reinstalling the Webasto burrner,  The 2 ears ( for lack of a better name ) are easily broken, so don't over tighten.  Also the burner must fit properly into its location and not let it be cocked.   For the burner I use a 1/4 inch ratchett, a 12 in extension and a 10 mm socket.  I can reach around & guide the socket onto the nut on the back side  by feel the other one is much easier to get to.

Guest Ray Davis
28 minutes ago, Corkman said:

Good info Ray. Do you remember which direction turns the water hotter and which direction turns the water colder on the valve?

Thanks

Bill

Sorry Bill I don't remember.  Maybe someone will chime in.    You might find that info on Roger Berkes site.

http://www.rogerberke.com/

Hi Brian, our flow rate has not changed in years, but the shower temp seems lower. I may just be asking the AH to warm it too much higher than the incoming water temp, which in the winter, is much lower than we are used to.

THANKS,

BILL

Guest Ray Davis
15 hours ago, Corkman said:

I HAVE a house in FL (and winter there), but I need to be in North Carolina for the winter this year to finish my Tiny Home Subdivision here in the NC Mountains.

Unfortunately I didn't notice that this was taking place in the mountains in No Carolina.  I had looked at your Avitar ( brief Bio ) and saw Pensacola then associated the water temp with there.  So, yeah temp can play a part in shower temp, still it should do better.  We haven't mentioned how long you shower and if you turn the water off while washing then back on to rinse off,  I know a long hot shower is what we're after, but sometimes we adjust.  I have experienced the problem to some degree in the mountains of Colorado and the opposite in Phoenix where the water was hot coming into the RV.  July in Phoenix was really hot, 113 deg.

With the side cover off you can feel the temp of the water pipes going in and coming out of the boiler before it gets to the tempering valve.  I can't give you a temperature but it should be really hot to the touch, better yet use a temp gun.   

58 minutes ago, Ray Davis said:

Unfortunately I didn't notice that this was taking place in the mountains in No Carolina.  I had looked at your Avitar ( brief Bio ) and saw Pensacola then associated the water temp with there.  So, yeah temp can play a part in shower temp, still it should do better.  We haven't mentioned how long you shower and if you turn the water off while washing then back on to rinse off,  I know a long hot shower is what we're after, but sometimes we adjust.  I have experienced the problem to some degree in the mountains of Colorado and the opposite in Phoenix where the water was hot coming into the RV.  July in Phoenix was really hot, 113 deg.

With the side cover off you can feel the temp of the water pipes going in and coming out of the boiler before it gets to the tempering valve.  I can't give you a temperature but it should be really hot to the touch, better yet use a temp gun.   

Excellent analysis.  My rule for everyone that is an overnight guest is to do Sailor Shower.  Wet Down.  Wash Rinse.  Females get second rinse for hair…..but my daughter trucks off to CG shower.  SECOND rule….if we have guests, then I automatically turn on Diesel.  My 10 YO GD got in and was third in line and screamed….TURN ON THE DIESEL.

Ambient and time of day and shower protocols heavily influence.  Also, if DW has done dishes in the morning and I hit the shower early….

Don’t rule out the shower faucet mixing valve.  I had to change ours out and that solved the hot water issue for us.

If you have to turn lever to “full” hot to get warm water, consider this.

This don’t pertain to the 3rd in line person…. AH needs to recover.

1 hour ago, MHRookie said:

Don’t rule out the shower faucet mixing valve.  I had to change ours out and that solved the hot water issue for us.

If you have to turn lever to “full” hot to get warm water, consider this.

This don’t pertain to the 3rd in line person…. AH needs to recover.

Excellent point.  I have a shower head with a sliding ON/OFF valve.  I tried to set the faucet control and used it awhile.  It started to leak.  I tried aftermarket ones and ended up buying a new one from NWRV.  So, I know exactly where my comfort point is and it has not changed in 14 years.  I should note we are NOT full timers, but we have spent over TWO YEARS (nights) out, so we have a LOT of use since I take a daily shower….and DW is every other day as my natural scalp exudes oil….if only I could capture and refine….  LOL…

Guest Ray Davis

We used to have several GKs along on occasion sometimes their parents too,  and everyone wants a shower just like at home, so it was often grandma & grandpa walking over to the CG showers.  If a CG has nice facilities I have been known to slip over there even when it's just the 2 of us.   Only a couple of GKs are young enough to travel with us now.  Uh oh now we have 4 great GKs & 1 on the way, at 82 they'll most likely travel with someone else.                                                                                          When I was young I never imagined,  thought I'd be young forever.

I have a Monaco sig with an aqua hot 600D and if yountake the cover off so you can see inside where the motor and pumps and valves are, down at the bottom front is a dial with numbers on it. Mine was set to 1 and ours was cold so we moved it to 2. But be aware that it made the water a lot hotter. So be careful

On 1/16/2023 at 12:18 PM, Tom Cherry said:

Excellent point.  I have a shower head with a sliding ON/OFF valve.  I tried to set the faucet control and used it awhile.  It started to leak.  I tried aftermarket ones and ended up buying a new one from NWRV.  So, I know exactly where my comfort point is and it has not changed in 14 years.  I should note we are NOT full timers, but we have spent over TWO YEARS (nights) out, so we have a LOT of use since I take a daily shower….and DW is every other day as my natural scalp exudes oil….if only I could capture and refine….  LOL…

Is it only the shower that’s not real hot?  If so, it’s definitely the mixing valve.  I had a problem with my shower and had no hot water.  I took the valve apart and cleaned it and adjusted the mixing valve.  The problem was that I did this in the summer when the “cold” incoming water was not real cold.  When I used the shower in the winter I noticed the hot water was not real hot.  It was ok, but not as hot as I’d like.  I’ll have to open it up and adjust the mixing valve again.

Hi Dan, yes the problem is only the shower, the heat works fine.

I agree with you, I think it is the mixing valve. In fact I was actually able to adjust the mixing valve without removing the burner. You might try what I did: using a screw driver and Hammer, I gently taped the valve and it rotated to the max in one direction and the max in the other direction (about one turn each way).

Do you remember which way was hotter and which turning direction was cooler? Neither way made and difference for me so I am rebuilding it.

Thanks,

Bill