Camco Water Heater Rinser is Perfect

saflyer
Go to solution Solved by lusgi,

Several experts advise cleaning the water heaters once a year. So I bought a Camco Water Heater Tank Rinser, connected it to my hose and proceeded to clean the tank. As soon as I turned the valve the tool on BAM, the tube that attaches to the valve and is inserted in the tank blew off and is now residing in the tank out of sight and reach!  Great. Any suggestions? (Can I make a comment about cheap Chinese junk?)

• Tom Cherry changed the title to Camco Water Heater Rinser is Perfect

Know anyone with an endoscope?  Might help hooking the open end of the rinser . . . . *AND* an excuse to buy a new tool! 

https://www.amazon.com/Seesi-Endoscope-Waterproof-Inspection-Semi-Rigid/dp/B07PBF6DX5/

I bought the more expensive one (Depstech).  It turned out be a huge overkill - only used it once and it was difficult to push long distances without a guide.

- bob

What a great excuse to get that slightly bigger or smaller  or newer rig… 😊

Maybe add a garden hose of water stream into the heater and it will move it to an area you can see. - with my luck it would make it harder to get to… but your luck might be different.

Or plug the heater back up and fill then drain it. 

Good Luck!

1 hour ago, Rocketman3 said:

What a great excuse to get that slightly bigger or smaller  or newer rig… 😊

Maybe add a garden hose of water stream into the heater and it will move it to an area you can see. - with my luck it would make it harder to get to… but your luck might be different.

Or plug the heater back up and fill then drain it. 

Good Luck!

My shop recommended running the fill water with the plug out. So far no luck. Will try my borescope next. But even if I can see it getting something on it will be a trick. 

Guest Ray Davis

20 hours ago, Ray Davis said:

They don’t indicate if it’s flexible. Is it?

18 minutes ago, lusgi said:

Just leave it?

That’s the advice of Camco. They say the melting temperature of the nozzle is 230-250°. I located it using my borescope. I might be able to hook it with a coat hangar or claw tool. But once I get it to the drain orienting it to remove will be difficult.

I still don’t like leaving it in there, though.

Guest Ray Davis
1 minute ago, saflyer said:

They don’t indicate if it’s flexible. Is it?

Good question, so I took a look and it says it is,  below is a quote from them.  I bet you can buy one a Harbor Freight or at many other stores however the one I have doesn't have a light in it.  The light shining down inside the tank while you fish seems like a possible game changer.   I have a really good LED flashlight but in cases like yours it will blind me, a case of too bright.

EASY TO USE-save yourself the headache and reach a flexible pick-up tool up to 36 inches into cramped, tight, or dark spaces

4 minutes ago, saflyer said:

still don’t like leaving it in there, though.

I don't blame you.  It would probably be ok, but who knows what the Chinese may put in the plastic.  Remember the sheetrock a few yrs back.

11 minutes ago, Ray Davis said:

Good question, so I took a look and it says it is,  below is a quote from them.  I bet you can buy one a Harbor Freight or at many other stores however the one I have doesn't have a light in it.  The light shining down inside the tank while you fish seems like a possible game changer.   I have a really good LED flashlight but in cases like yours it will blind me, a case of too bright.

EASY TO USE-save yourself the headache and reach a flexible pick-up tool up to 36 inches into cramped, tight, or dark spaces

I don't blame you.  It would probably be ok, but who knows what the Chinese may put in the plastic.  Remember the sheetrock a few yrs back.

Missed that. But still wondering if it will be like the dog with a 3 foot long stick in its mouth trying to go through a 2 foot wide door?

On 1/18/2023 at 7:10 AM, saflyer said:

That’s the advice of Camco. They say the melting temperature of the nozzle is 230-250°. I located it using my borescope. I might be able to hook it with a coat hangar or claw tool. But once I get it to the drain orienting it to remove will be difficult.

I still don’t like leaving it in there, though.

It's not like your going to be consuming water out of the water heater.

Guest Ray Davis
5 hours ago, 96 EVO said:

What,  you don't drink hot water    Actually that's a good point,  why worry.

5 hours ago, 96 EVO said:

That’s the conclusion I came to. Hot water is only used fir dish washing, hand washing and showers. Leave it there and don’t worry about it. Actually we never use cold water for anything that will go in our bodies. But it still burns me up the cheap junk didn’t last the first use.