Power Steering/Hydraulic Reservoir Filters

Go to solution Solved by Dr4Film,

Trying hard to finish my yearly maintenance but the stars are not aligning.  I removed the filters from the hydraulic reservoir drained the fluid and went to put in the 3 new filters.  Low and behold the new filters are much smaller than the old ones.   I have been searching online for the last 3 hours and have drawn a blank.  So, I need help.  I have looked at the data (and most do not give you the dimensions) to match what I had in the reservoir but can't find ones that are the right size.  I have changed these filters many times but can't find any receipts with part numbers.  The tank is a Nelson 19.5H and 9.5 Diameter. There are no numbers on the filters or tank.  I have looked on the Cummins web site to no avail.  I have 6 part numbers and they don't have the correct dimensions or do not identify what the dimensions are.  Don't want to order the wrong ones again.  The coach is a 04 Camelot with a 350 Cummins.  The following are the part numbers I have looked at.  The ones I bought are 84365A and they are way too small.

83804E

84101B

LF637

1637 NAPA 

Here is what I know and remember from many posting about these.  AND, remember, you are dealing with Monaco.  The Nelson tank SHOULD have had some steel stamped numbers with the filter numbers on them.  The 84101B, as Richard posted, was supposed to be the correct one.  The 2004 Windsor and Camelots and Scepters were supposed to be the same. You are correct that your manual is worthless.  The part numbers that you have above are NOT the same ones or are interchangeable.  The 840101B is the correct one.

The SINGLE filter Nelson, used later on, was a much smaller reservoir....maybe 2 gallons.  It uses the 83804 or Fleetguard 83804E or LF637.  I don't know about the exact size or dimension of the various part numbers.... BUT there are TWO DIFFERENT SIZES.  You can NOT interchange or use the SINGLE Filter and just use 3 of them in the larger one  You MUST use the  84101B or equivalent or whatever cross references to it.

It takes some digging to get them to cross, but Wix and Napa and Donaldson have (or haver had) the correct ones.

Thanks everyone. I’ll order the 84101B. I looked up the specs on all the ones that I listed and couldn’t find the specs on the 84191B.  Gotta get everything completed before I head to the Monaco rally.

Lusgi,

I’ll get the measurements in a few minutes and send them to you.

Lusgi,

the dimensions I measured on the filters I removed are 5 inches tall, 4 inches wide with a 1.25 inch diameter hole to slide over the fitting in the tank. The filters do not have a part number on them. I looked on my tank for the part number of the tank, filters and gasket but it is not there unless it is under the clamp. Thanks again everyone. What a great team!!!!

I have ordered the 84101B filters.  Should get them first part of next week.  Hopefully they are the right ones.  I have already removed the old filters and will need the new ones before I can go anywhere.  Thanks everyone for the info.

Don Genesse

• Like 1

My Nelson hydraulic filter tank has Wix 557196 elements. 

I am looking for a source for the Nelson tank.  I need a replacement dip stick.

Since Cummins purchased the Nelson line I haven't found a good source for replacement parts.

I received my filters, installed them and ran the engine to check for leaks.  No leaks.  Getting closer to going to Lazy days to see everyone again.  Still trying to get the lug nuts torqued.  Still not having any luck. Hopefully will get that done so I can go to the Monaco meet.

Don

04 Camelot.  

One more project to check off the list.

Won't see you at the Gathering this year. We cannot attend due as I had to go back to work this winter just to pay the bills. The present economy has taken most of my retirement savings, so a significant amount has now vanished into thin air. Once Dumb and Dumber are gone hopefully I won't have to work and will be able to attend the 2024 Gathering if we even have one.

Sorry to hear that Richard. I was looking forward to chatting with you. I can only pray we do much better than the mid terms went.  Stay safe. 
Don

04 Camelot 

13 hours ago, Trinidaddave said:

My Nelson hydraulic filter tank has Wix 557196 elements. 

I am looking for a source for the Nelson tank.  I need a replacement dip stick.

Since Cummins purchased the Nelson line I haven't found a good source for replacement parts.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/175330605194?hash=item28d284b88a:g:2mUAAOSwO8Fithx4&amdata=enc%3AAQAHAAAA4MPkN1tuv0otiTcmNum%2F6HRXTrVLINf9i1qd0pL%2Fr5mDxvSr%2B1CTq%2BWsT0llT7CtlUiEXfpn%2FS5uX%2Fp5vJZT3UUc5w80IvIsdxiz8VAUf%2Fw0%2BY8esTNzM0z3F3TtPdnAe1EBZNPD3ydB3%2FuhAnROKtkSJ0DigRHLP6lycq7cnv7kpO4RCHkKWFaqKwCuXUOlyY7p3PVqTIhicQMG9yXVWGYAdfbEQPdCQ4nwgEuj7hY1QWHQJrx4N1Sxtt14vLD%2BHnpMDog69iiaIPVTZo5%2FI2DPbd0MrnePnNIh%2BnTUmoLx|tkp%3ABFBMkPmQ2MFh

Don't know if this will fit  There were at least TWO....maybe more styles used.  There was the larger (held almost twice my size).  FWIW, when Monaco abandoned the 3 filter larger on and went with the single (maybe 2 gallon) filter reservoir, they added a supplemental high pressures (think screw on oil filter), so the reservoir only filtered what got returned.

Get someone to post a picture of their filter.  I checked with a buddy and we think that the one in the eBay sale is NOT like our single filter.  Don't know....but this might work...  

POST SCRIPT EDIT....

This appears to be the correct one based on Bill R's post below....

@Trinidaddave and @Bill R  Please note the post below....looks like my "guess" worked....

1 hour ago, Bill R said:

It is the correct dip stick for the 3 filter hydraulic tank I have.

image.jpeg

IMG_1663.jpeg

BINGO.....that works.  I don't have this so it was "ask and see".  This should solve @Trinidaddave or Dave's issue.  Glad it is the right one.  Thanks for sharing your pictures.  I always learn a lot....  You also get extra points for having such a clean "engine"....way to GO!

Thanks everyone, I may try ordering the dip stick suggested.  It is cheap enough to try.  I attached a picture of mine, it is missing the metal washer that is pressed on the end that allows the rubber portion to tighten and seal the top.

thanks for everyone’s help.

BD79CCFA-E19C-4494-A475-B654DE86940D.jpeg