Pressure Pro Pulse System - Discussion and Questions

I purchased the 35-foot Pressure Pro antenna extension to eliminate losing signals on my 12 sensors while traveling. I would like to run the cable down through the base of the steering wheel area, but it appears to have a thick rubber boot that seals that area from the outside.

What have others done who have installed the same antenna extension to their Pressure Pro Pulse TPMS?

Haven't installed a TPMS antenna but I have pulled wires through the firewall.  On my coach, to the left of the steering column there are a bunch of wires that come through the fire wall but when Monaco was done they fill the voids with the black foam.  I simply used a straight coat hanger and pushed it through from the outside, fastened whatever wire(s) I wanted to it and pull it through from the outside. 

On my coach there is also a large plastic box that covers the outside area of where brake pedal is.  I removed this box when I was looking for a spare wire when I installed the Bluesea MLACR, there were a bunch of wiring and air looms that went up there the bottom of the box.  I ran a set of 5 wires up through the bottom area, one was for the dash switch, the rest are spares.   The box itself was held on with ~6-8 screws and then had a bead of caulk/sealant around the perimeter.  When I put it back I put a piece of foam gasket all the way around prior to screwing it back down to help seal it. 

When I installed my FASS system I added a fuel pressure gauge onto the secondary filter, I needed to run the wiring harness from back to front.  I took the time to push/pull a 3/4" conduit from front to back.  With the generator slide open I was able push it though to the area in front of the fuel tank and guide it through the cutouts in the frame.  Once I got it to the basement area it got stuck so I had to drop the ceiling in the center bay, this gave access to the area between the frame rails.  I found the conduit and pulled past the obstruction, added another 10 piece and pushed some more.  Got stuck again but this time just before the bay where my inverter is mount and there is no ceiling, was able to reach up an pull the conduit through there and push it our the back above the water tanks and it day lighted in front of the rear axle.  I was able to use this conduit for the fuel pressure sensor wiring but also the grouping of five wires I pulled when I installed the Bluesea.

Edited by jacwjames
  • Like 2

24 minutes ago, Dr4Film said:

I purchased the 35-foot Pressure Pro antenna extension to eliminate losing signals on my 12 sensors while traveling. I would like to run the cable down through the base of the steering wheel area, but it appears to have a thick rubber boot that seals that area from the outside.

What have others done who have installed the same antenna extension to their Pressure Pro Pulse TPMS?

The way I did mine was to go through the (front air line) hole.  On mine there are two airlines coming out close to the center line of the steering wheel….as you sit in the driver’s seat and look forward,  I used a long this screwdriver and poke a hole in the expanded foam.  I also used that for my Blue Ox TruCenter.  I also looked and was going to drill two holes in the FRB box.  One in the top, so it fed down like the big harness and then one out the back side.

NOW….I will tell you that I gave up on running it to the back.  It needs to be near the rear axle.  I put mine on the surface behind the front axle, where you mount the Watts Link.  I never could find the “channel” to run it back there.  I still have my TOAD a sensors on the old frequency.  I have a repeater for them in the rear bathroom….  The MH sensors are the new style.  Eventually, I might purchase an extender….if there is one available….otherwise shinny and crawl and slither and pull out the ceiling and run the antenna back there…

Pratt opted for the dipole and mounted it on the side window.  That seemed to work well.

3 hours ago, Dr4Film said:

Does/did Pressure Pro have any suggestions from what other customers did?

The console next to the driver may provide access to the area in the outside compartment. 

Or, as you have found there is a large rubber boot around the steering column.

Go outside and inspect that area closely. You may find a place to drill your own hole or a tiny hole in the boot near the edge. I would not recommend that because you would have to be very careful routing the wire.

My 2008 Endeavor, and on a couple of other sister ships I found the boot was sliced by an overzealous carpet layer most likely. The falling boot managed to snag and wound up on the steering shaft. It was a bit of a white knuckle adventure getting the RV to the side of the road using two strong arms pulling hard on the steering wheel. The rubber wound up on the shaft. The steering wheel would turn one way but barely budged in the other direction. Thinking here we were 2500 miles from home, an orphan Mfgr and probably a bad steering pump etc. 

I found the rubber band boot and cut away the tear and managed to get it into a safe place and repaired later. On inspection of a couple other coaches of my vintage and flavor I found rubber boots sliced as well. 

When I find someone with a coach like mine they usually get a complimentary safety inspection. Rubber boot, transfer switch, refrigerator etc. I have found several transfer switches with melted housings. We know the issues of course. 

When running the cable/coax?? be careful to make bends gentle. 

I have been running cables in every vehicle you and equipment piece you can imagine for over fifty years. I needed to run some Cat5 in our RV and used a small pvc conduit run along the bottom across the storage bays. Worked great. 

3 hours ago, Paul A. said:

Does/did Pressure Pro have any suggestions from what other customers did?

Yes, they said that others have found the easiest access was the steering column. My Windsor did not have this heavy rubber boot so there was some daylight in that area but not so with the Dynasty.

1 hour ago, Ivylog said:

I can pickup the PPs signals on my toad from 100’ away. Try mounting the monitor so it’s antennae is in the side window.

E5CD880D-4DBB-4B8B-B9AC-9F8EC2F65E25.jpeg

I don't have the Legacy PP system that you have. They discontinued that model some time ago.

17 hours ago, myrontruex said:

The console next to the driver may provide access to the area in the outside compartment. 

Or, as you have found there is a large rubber boot around the steering column.

Go outside and inspect that area closely. You may find a place to drill your own hole or a tiny hole in the boot near the edge. I would not recommend that because you would have to be very careful routing the wire.

My 2008 Endeavor, and on a couple of other sister ships I found the boot was sliced by an overzealous carpet layer most likely. The falling boot managed to snag and wound up on the steering shaft. It was a bit of a white knuckle adventure getting the RV to the side of the road using two strong arms pulling hard on the steering wheel. The rubber wound up on the shaft. The steering wheel would turn one way but barely budged in the other direction. Thinking here we were 2500 miles from home, an orphan Mfgr and probably a bad steering pump etc. 

I found the rubber band boot and cut away the tear and managed to get it into a safe place and repaired later. On inspection of a couple other coaches of my vintage and flavor I found rubber boots sliced as well. 

When I find someone with a coach like mine they usually get a complimentary safety inspection. Rubber boot, transfer switch, refrigerator etc. I have found several transfer switches with melted housings. We know the issues of course. 

When running the cable/coax?? be careful to make bends gentle. 

I have been running cables in every vehicle you and equipment piece you can imagine for over fifty years. I needed to run some Cat5 in our RV and used a small pvc conduit run along the bottom across the storage bays. Worked great. 

Myron,

I will get underneath this weekend to take a closer look at any possible openings near the steering column where I could run this cable up into the driver's area.

Thanks for the suggestions and warnings.

22 hours ago, Tom Cherry said:

The way I did mine was to go through the (front air line) hole.  On mine there are two airlines coming out close to the center line of the steering wheel….as you sit in the driver’s seat and look forward,  I used a long this screwdriver and poke a hole in the expanded foam.  I also used that for my Blue Ox TruCenter.  I also looked and was going to drill two holes in the FRB box.  One in the top, so it fed down like the big harness and then one out the back side.

NOW….I will tell you that I gave up on running it to the back.  It needs to be near the rear axle.  I put mine on the surface behind the front axle, where you mount the Watts Link.  I never could find the “channel” to run it back there.  I still have my TOAD a sensors on the old frequency.  I have a repeater for them in the rear bathroom….  The MH sensors are the new style.  Eventually, I might purchase an extender….if there is one available….otherwise shinny and crawl and slither and pull out the ceiling and run the antenna back there…

Pratt opted for the dipole and mounted it on the side window.  That seemed to work well.

Tom,

I will also check the firewall near the driver's area to see if there might be and access there for the cable to go through.

22 hours ago, jacwjames said:

Haven't installed a TPMS antenna but I have pulled wires through the firewall.  On my coach, to the left of the steering column there are a bunch of wires that come through the fire wall but when Monaco was done they fill the voids with the black foam.  I simply used a straight coat hanger and pushed it through from the outside, fastened whatever wire(s) I wanted to it and pull it through from the outside. 

On my coach there is also a large plastic box that covers the outside area of where brake pedal is.  I removed this box when I was looking for a spare wire when I installed the Bluesea MLACR, there were a bunch of wiring and air looms that went up there the bottom of the box.  I ran a set of 5 wires up through the bottom area, one was for the dash switch, the rest are spares.   The box itself was held on with ~6-8 screws and then had a bead of caulk/sealant around the perimeter.  When I put it back I put a piece of foam gasket all the way around prior to screwing it back down to help seal it. 

When I installed my FASS system I added a fuel pressure gauge onto the secondary filter, I needed to run the wiring harness from back to front.  I took the time to push/pull a 3/4" conduit from front to back.  With the generator slide open I was able push it though to the area in front of the fuel tank and guide it through the cutouts in the frame.  Once I got it to the basement area it got stuck so I had to drop the ceiling in the center bay, this gave access to the area between the frame rails.  I found the conduit and pulled past the obstruction, added another 10 piece and pushed some more.  Got stuck again but this time just before the bay where my inverter is mount and there is no ceiling, was able to reach up an pull the conduit through there and push it our the back above the water tanks and it day lighted in front of the rear axle.  I was able to use this conduit for the fuel pressure sensor wiring but also the grouping of five wires I pulled when I installed the Bluesea.

Jim, unfortunately my current Dynasty is much different than my previous Windsor WRT to the way it was put together. The Windsor had plenty of easy access in the areas around the cockpit.

So being on here for many years I was here when the PP was the system of choice.

At the  time I added the PP system 2007 or 2008 Bill D was the guru.  He had a located an antenna $10 or so with i believe better gain the the OEM antenna.  

Unfortunately I can not locate the receipt or the part number for this antenna.  I purchased it from a radio supply store.

I  searched the files for any info but maybe after all this time the posts on this have disappeared.

Maybe another old timer has the info.

I will try to post a picture.

Long story short this antenna works great with no booster or cable run needed.

I have my receiver mounted in diver side window.

RF

2006 Camelot 40'

IMG_7605.jpeg

Ron, thanks for posting however you have the old discontinued Legacy model of PP.

I purchased the PP Pulse model that comes with a new style display. They don't offer a dependable repeater as yet plus they stated that the antenna extension is the best method for eliminating drop signals.

Richard, can you give me a link or manual for your system. As an RF Telecommunications technician I will be able to offer a more extensive suggestion.

Seems strange to have to add an extender unless you are towing  something with sensors on it as well. I found their web site I think but the manuals I saw were useless. 

12 hours ago, myrontruex said:

Richard, can you give me a link or manual for your system. As an RF Telecommunications technician I will be able to offer a more extensive suggestion.

Seems strange to have to add an extender unless you are towing something with sensors on it as well. I found their web site I think but the manuals I saw were useless. 

Myron,

Here is the manual plus two photos of my PP Pulse Control Monitor. It came with a 10-foot Di-Pole Antenna which is basically as useless as the small antenna I tried that is in the photos. I also tried an 18-inch antenna I had laying around that I had used on one of my old Internet devices. No Joy.

I have an old repeater from the discontinued Tire SafeGuard TPMS and a PP repeater that I had purchased thinking that I could purchase the PP Legacy TPMS which I could not. Neither of those work with the PP Pulse TPMS. Hence, installing the 35-foot PP antenna extension was my only option according to the Pressure Pro Tech person I spoke with about the problem. He stated that once the antenna is mounted under the coach facing down, the antenna with have a direct line of sight with all sensors including the tow vehicle sensors.

I do tow a 2006 Saturn Vue when traveling. However, even on my trip from Salt Lake City to Florida when we brought the coach home after purchasing it, I was losing signals constantly on that 2700-mile trip without towing anything.

Currently, not a happy camper with the Pressure Pro TPMS until I can get signal reliability. Never had this problem before while using the Tire SafeGuard TPMS for the past 10 years with my Windsor towing a 30-foot trailer or my car.

20220226_173004.jpg

20220226_172825.jpg

PULSE-Users-Manual-01.09.18.pdf

14 hours ago, myrontruex said:

Seems strange to have to add an extender unless you are towing  something with sensors on it as well. I found their web site I think but the manuals I saw were useless. 

Richard and Myron,

Dave Pratt and I were one of the first conversions to the PULSE systems.  He chose the window unit, I think, and said it worked great.  @David Pratt 

I went with the external antenna....but the drudgery of mounting it was not something I wanted to tackle....thus, I used my old repeater.

I had the SAME issues with my original PP system.  I ran it for about a year...then all of a sudden, lost the Left Rear TOAD sensor.  WHY, the battery was a year old.  I worked back and forth with PP and their chief tech support guy.  Ran all sorts of diagnostics.  I finally added the repeater....worked like a charm.

I have run the PULSE for several years.  I would have thought by now, they had a repeater.  That was why I used the OLDER sensors on the Toad.  I don't REALLY care about the temperatures....as the "ambient" reading are really "not meaningful".  So the "gapped" or intervals of the older sensors works as all I want is the TP....

So.. I am now on my second set of sensors.  But, I am still running the repeater with the older ones on the rear.  You MIGHT want to test the "system"  Run the coax from the monitor out the side window.  Then use painter's tape and attach to the side and bring it back in and either mount it  temporarily in front of the rear axle or let it just sit in a bay and test it....  I THINK there is a diagnostic on the signal strength of all the sensors....but can't remember

How long have you had this problem? If since new, you may have a bad receiver or transmitter. 

Which sensors are you losing and can you describe (losing sensors)? Sorry, I have to play twenty questions and need some more information. Did you follow the installation instructions and (not) attach the sensors until the first steps are done?

Sorry about the last question. Sometimes it is the smallest thing that can cause tremendous grief. I have followed in many technicians' paths that were attempting to repair or install some device and the best advice ever given to me was from my High School Electronics teacher. If it doesn't work, read the book. "But Mr. Hasley", I did read the book. "Then follow it, Myron". I have seen technicians spend hours and toss their hands up and from experience working on that device I pulled the manual out of their hands gently and began reading the instructions to them as they tweaked the pots. Starting from the beginning of the installation instructions might help. The device could be confused. 

So please take no offense at my comment on following the instructions. 

My first impression is the antenna shown in the picture is not the correct one. IF the specs on the Pdf you showed me are correct the frequency is in the 450 Mhz range. Better known as the four-fifty range if you were talking to an RF tech. The antenna may be the right one but could be bad of course. I base my opinion on just the length of the antenna. An antenna in that range is usually around six inches. I know that looks can be deceiving and they could have loaded up a shorty that is designed for the proper frequency. They are not nearly as effective but are needed in some cases. A vehicle that parks in a garage may need short antennas so things are compromised a bit. The pictures of the "legacy" models show an antenna which I would feel much better about. Notice they are around 6-7 inches. 

Using an antenna that matches the connector from a wi-fi device probably made things worse as that antenna was not designed for that frequency. A wi-fi device is around 2ghz or 5ghz. The same antenna on those devices can be used for both frequencies. It has to do with wavelength and doubling the frequency 2.5-5 for example, allows the use of the same antenna. Doubling the frequency will need an antenna half the length of the lower frequency. But the antenna will work just fine for both frequencies.

Without digressing too much, I would like to see a picture of your external antenna and want to verify that it is designed for this specific model. 

Your old repeater may be in a different frequency range and for that reason may not work. However, looking at the legacy models they are likely in the same frequency range and the repeater could work IF your device is actually functioning properly.

The receiver must be in perfect working order at the frequency range your device works in. Reading others' descriptions say theirs works for 300 feet or so leads me to believe you have a bad receiver or transmitter. 

I did not see if there are batteries in the sensors. If not, they are basically "pinging" the sensors versus the sensors having a power source. 

This complicates things a bit in that the display also has a transmitter. If the transmitter is weak the ping won't make it to the sensors. At the frequency range of these things, it won't take much to block the signal. The wheels alone are metal and act as a shield. 

Adding 35 feet of coax is adding a tremendous amount of loss at that frequency. Without a chart for that cable and just based on experience you will lose well over half your signal, both transmit and receive. The gain of an antenna can help overcome some of this and make the tradeoff worth the effort if you need an antenna installed in a certain place or a directional antenna of course. 

Since neither antenna is giving you a satisfactory operation, it is likely your device is sick. 

However, I would be curious how you used it and how you tested your sensors. It can take forever it seems for the sensors to send a signal. 

Just mentioning the sensors again, mine have batteries and I have to replace those things often. I keep a sack full and always change them before a long trip or the first trip of the season. 

At this stage, I would not bother running the antenna cable anywhere except down the hall and maybe out a window just for testing of course. Even then, it should work fine just stuck in the dash.

If that thing is that insensitive, I would return it just based on the lack of confidence it will give you while traveling. 

My little handheld TpMS that suction cups to the window if I want, works fine just riding along near my cup holder. The suction cup falls off when least expecting it so I just extend its little antenna and lay it someplace close. That antenna is about three inches. Which is probably just a sub-wavelength of the 450 range of your device. They probably operate in the same freq range as governed by the FCC. 

P.S. I imagine you have moved sensors around to determine if you have some bad sensors. If your front sensors are working satisfactorily, moving them to the problem area should help identify if it is a sensor or receiver issue. 

Myron,

The PP was purchased new earlier this year prior to flying to Salt Lake City to pick up our Dynasty. I will NOT drive any vehicle that I own unless it has a working TMPS. I used the right front tire on my previous Windsor to program each of the sensors based on the PP instructions in the manual BEFORE leaving for SLC. I had previously labeled each sensor as to their specific location.

Once in SLC, I installed the PP TPMS and off we went on our 2700-mile trip back to Florida. Within the first 100 miles or so I had one sensor on the tag that occasionally dropped the signal. Called the company the next day and he said that chances are I needed to have the antenna extension. I tried swapping the right front with the tag to check whether it was a bad sensor or not with no joy. On the 10-day trip there were a variety of different sensors where I would occasionally lose the signal then it would come back.

Our next trip was to New Hampshire in May and then back to Florida in October towing our car. Again, there were various sensors that would drop the signal then return sometime later.

I called the company again after I returned to Florida asking about their repeater that was in development based on a member's previous post regarding the repeater. They stated that it has NOT been approved and still has some unreliability issues. They stated at the time that the 35-foot antenna extension would be better than any repeater if mounted correctly under the coach with the end antenna hanging down such that each sensor would have a direct line of sight with the antenna including the towed car. So, I ordered the antenna and now ready to install it as I hate driving with temporarily dropped signals. Had that happen WAY too many times when I had my very first TPMS called Doran. On my very last trip with the Doran TPMS, I had 5 of the 10 sensors not reporting. That's when I removed the POS from my Windsor and sold it on eBay then purchased the Tire SafeGuard TPMS. That system was very reliable for the10 years I had owned it and left it on the Windsor when I sold it last April. I tried to purchase the Tire SafeGuard TPMS for the Dynasty but was told that the TPMS was now obsolete and no longer available.

WRT the antennas that I have tried, the first one shown in the photo was from the Tire SafeGuard TPMS. I also tried a longer 18-inch antenna that I had laying around and finally I installed the 8-foot Di-pole antenna that came with the PP TPMS. None of them gave me a trouble-free experience.

Here is the link to the Pressure Pro Pulse TPMS with photos.

Pulse TPMS Monitor - Tire Pressure Monitor

Here is the link to the 8-foot Di-pole antenna that came with the package.

Pulse Dipole Antenna - Tire Pressure Monitor

Here is the link to the 35-foot PP antenna extension.

Cabled Antenna (SMA) Kit - Tire Pressure Monitor

Here is the link to the accessories page.

Accessories Archives - Tire Pressure Monitor

Hopefully I have answered all of your questions.

Edited by Dr4Film

I will respond more. Must bug out. The dipole looks satisfactory and looking at the other accessories things are coming to light. The little antenna shown in a previous picture is not very effective. 

I see they have a six inch antenna which calculated in my brain that the system is indeed in the 450Mhz range. That might do the trick as it would likely give you a 3db improvement in signal.  These hunches are based on 50 years of working with antennas on portable radios etc. 

The dipole should make your thing come alive.

Your description of what and how you got to this point is absolutely spot one. Well done sir. I play "20 questions" with people to get that much information.

Just running the dipole down the hall may not give you the results you are hoping for. Try running it out a window and then under the coach. Put it on something so it is not on the ground. Be sure to place it as shown in the directons. That antenna could be directional a bit. 

More later. 

Myron,

I have tried the dipole antenna in many locations without success inside the coach. If the dipole needs to be run on the outside of the coach, then I am back to my original question and might as well install the 35-foot extension that I have purchased.

I don't like to hang stuff out a window while traveling. When sitting in one location I have done that in the past on my Airstream motorhome but not on my Windsor or Dynasty.

That little antenna worked just fine with my Tire Safeguard TPMS, that's why I gave it a try with the Pressure Pro TPMS.

BTW, all of the PP TPMS sensors have permanent internal nonreplaceable batteries. I forgot to include that info in my last post.

I did not intend to mislead you with the suggestion of sticking it out the window. I meant for a test only. Sorry. I would never recommend that. 

Placing it outside on either side as you gather data might help sort out if it is worse on one side than the other.

• 2 weeks later...

< MERGED WITH A PREVIOUS AND ACTIVE PRESSURE PRO TOPIC.  The question asked below was discussed in detail in this topic>

I am just about to purchase pressure pro tire monitor system. Many in this forum say positive about them. My question is…Is there ever any problems with the signal strength between the RV front windshield and the toad     TPMS transmitters? It’s rather an expensive purchase and just wanted to be sure its what I want. Thanks 2007 Dynasty W/ Jeep Grand Cherokee toad. 

You will need a booster in the rear of your rv. Unless they've changed the signal strength.

I am very happy with mine. Last outing one of my trailer tires lost pressure due to leaking valve stem. Tightened the stem pumped it up. Without the TPS probably would have had a blow out.

33 minutes ago, Garry Donohue said:

I am just about to purchase pressure pro tire monitor system. Many in this forum say positive about them. My question is…Is there ever any problems with the signal strength between the RV front windshield and the toad     TPMS transmitters? It’s rather an expensive purchase and just wanted to be sure its what I want. Thanks 2007 Dynasty W/ Jeep Grand Cherokee toad. 

I have a 36 foot Diplomat and had to get their antenna to boost the signal to the toad. Mounted it underneath on the frame

• Like 1

I bought the TST system and it came with the repeater. I bought it right after Christmas, it was one of my Christmas gifts from my wife, so I took it to my RV at the storage but I haven’t had a chance to install and program it (storage spaces too close together to do much until I pull it out).

I know my front curb side is low in air. When I install the TST valve monitors I’ll take my air pump and get the pressures at the manufacturer’s chart of recommended levels until I can get the 4 corners weighed.