Leak up through floor of 2001 Dynasty 38’

Larry H

Hello all,

On our first trip after the motorhome having been winterized during early winter, I discovered a leak in the water system that shows through the carpet in front of the right side of the bedroom TV (thus over the passenger side rear wheel).  It seems to be worse when the lines are under pressure but does not seem to make the pump cycle on and off, at least not frequently. Currently we are not using city water and turning the pump on and off after use, releasing some pressure after turning pump off. 
     We have an Aquahot but I don’t think I am losing any antifreeze and it is to the rear of the bay housing thr Aquahot. I can’t tell for sure whether the water showing up on the carpet is warm or cold but think cold.
     Is it likely a pin hole in waterline under the floor and what is the best way to repair it? 

79B23F4A-7A01-448D-BE33-EEDE45353FA5.jpeg

I don't think there are any waterlines running through the floor.  Could the water be coming from and adjacent sink cabinet or shower?  

Or maybe the wet bay is under this portion of the floor.  Have you checked the basement under this area?  There is an accumulator under there as well as the pump and storage tanks.   

• Like 1

Thanks for the quick responses. Your comment about the water lines appear correct.  Drain rather than water line is worth checking, but the wet bay (Aquahot and water pump) and fresh water fill / dump valves, as well as the lav, toilet, and sink drains are 6’ or more in front of this point with the holding tanks directly below(black) and forward of this point. Drain lines appear to be running in the opposite direction. Thanks. Any additional ideas would be appreciated. At some point I will have to pull the carpet and cut through the floor or pull the wheel and take off the wheel well cover. I don’t like either of these ideas.

Pull the drawers in the cabinet and check the carpeting there. 

The water lines running to my washer dryer run in the bottom of the cabinet, yours might do the same. 

That or your aquahot system.  

The water could also migrate off the belt molding on the outside. 

I had a section of bad floor in the front, I had previously replaced the carpeting with a laminate floor and never saw a leak but sure had a big problem.   So find the leak and hope you caught it soon enough to prevent damage.  My subfloor pretty much was destroyed and I had to replace a 4X6' section and then redid the whole floor to make everything match. 

Floor Prepped.jpg

Floor front almost done.jpg

• Like 1

Guest Ray Davis

Didn't we have a similar thread awhile back?     Was it a leak from above,  maybe the air conditioner gasket needed tightening

22 minutes ago, RC2018 said:

I had my icemaker line split in the middle going down the road, my pump was on and it made a mess on the floor. I have ceramic tile but your coach may be different. I would check that if you have an icemaker.

I had that happen recently!

Sprayed gallons of water straight at the fridge outlet. Took half a day to get the GFCI to stop tripping!

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, 96 EVO said:

I had that happen recently!

Sprayed gallons of water straight at the fridge outlet. Took half a day to get the GFCI to stop tripping!

I will never have that failure again. I removed the line and the icemaker from my coach.

• Like 1

Thanks for all the comments. I have pretty well ruled out a fresh water leak including the fridge. The spot is discolored but no new wetness. Your ideas about the washer lines and gray water over flow are still possibilities. Last time I checked, I was not losing Aquahot antifreeze. Will check that again. Comments about checking under the nearby cabinet is very helpful. Will do that. If the antifreeze Cisco OK and it does not occur the next time we wash, I will pretty much assume is was gray waret overflow and avoid letting it get too full. 

30 minutes ago, jfbolkovatz said:

Larry,

If the carpet on the left is the soiled carpet I would believe the heater behind the register is leaking. the indication of a over full grey tank is the shower drain.

These have both been mentioned and I have experienced both.

Joe B

All true, but that large of a leak is going to drain the small AH overflow tank pretty quick!

Curious to hear the end result of this puzzle 🤔!

7 hours ago, Larry H said:

Thanks for all the comments. I have pretty well ruled out a fresh water leak including the fridge. The spot is discolored but no new wetness. Your ideas about the washer lines and gray water over flow are still possibilities. Last time I checked, I was not losing Aquahot antifreeze. Will check that again. Comments about checking under the nearby cabinet is very helpful. Will do that. If the antifreeze Cisco OK and it does not occur the next time we wash, I will pretty much assume is was gray waret overflow and avoid letting it get too full. 

If it's coolant from the Aquahot, it will have a distinct sweet smell, and will feel oily to touch.
(It will also taste sweet, but I don't recommend that test method. LOL)