Atwood Heater Squealing - Fan Runs slow

VinceB

As the post title suggests, my Atwood makes a lot of noise but functions.

I opened the compartment under the fridge that the unit lives in but it looks like there is no way to get into the unit to lube the fan. Or is that even an option?

Zero documentation came with the coach which is why I don't provide a model #.

Suggestions?

You have to go in from outside the coach.  Basically the furnace will slide out like a cassette, leaving the metal shell in the coach.  No need to disconnect ductwork.  Make sure you soap-test the propane connection when re-installing.

The fan on mine was rubbing on the metal shell.  I tried to slide (pry) the fan on the shaft away from the metal a bit but it wouldn't budge.  It's plastic so don't break it.  I must have moved it some as it didn't squeel against housing anymore.  The furnace is tricky to disassemble but with patience can be done.  Think jigsaw puzzle: Eventually everything fits if you don't force it. 

On the old gasser I had muddobbers build a nest inside the combustion chamber.  Add to that Spider mites were clogging the jet orfice.  Very tiny little buggers. 

Good luck,

- bob

• Like 1

I use my Leaf blower 3 times a year to carefully blow the dust and garbage out. I then use WD40 spray with the thin  extension pipe to blast a few quick spurts on each bearing. Seams to have kept it running and looking good. 

14 hours ago, cbr046 said:

You have to go in from outside the coach.  Basically the furnace will slide out like a cassette, leaving the metal shell in the coach.  No need to disconnect ductwork.  Make sure you soap-test the propane connection when re-installing.

The fan on mine was rubbing on the metal shell.  I tried to slide (pry) the fan on the shaft away from the metal a bit but it wouldn't budge.  It's plastic so don't break it.  I must have moved it some as it didn't squeel against housing anymore.  The furnace is tricky to disassemble but with patience can be done.  Think jigsaw puzzle: Eventually everything fits if you don't force it. 

On the old gasser I had muddobbers build a nest inside the combustion chamber.  Add to that Spider mites were clogging the jet orfice.  Very tiny little buggers. 

Good luck,

- bob

Thanks. I'll look into doing that.

12 hours ago, Rick A said:

I use my Leaf blower 3 times a year to carefully blow the dust and garbage out. I then use WD40 spray with the thin  extension pipe to blast a few quick spurts on each bearing. Seams to have kept it running and looking good. 

Where are you blowing the air?  Inside into one of the heating ducts or from the outside exhaust vents?  How do you get to the bearings - from the outside?

I appreciate you guy's help.

Take a few pictures and folks here will know exactly what unit you have. 

I had to replace a motor on one of mine. Lubing probably would have extended the inevitable replacement. Getting the furnace out was not that difficult and not the first one I have ever repaired by pulling them out. 

You might find mud dauber nests inside if you are lucky. 

I changed the motor on mine without pulling the whole unit out. It was a little time consuming, but not difficult. There were several bearings, the motor runs two squirrel cage fans. Access the unit from outside and lift the black plastic cover to gain access. You have to use a little care as you get into it, there is a sail switch which tells the control unit the fan is producing air movement, and make sure you label the wires so you can put it back together. There are several Youtube videos that are very good.

Greg

2000 Diplomat

On 1/27/2023 at 2:04 PM, myrontruex said:

Take a few pictures and folks here will know exactly what unit you have. 

I had to replace a motor on one of mine. Lubing probably would have extended the inevitable replacement. Getting the furnace out was not that difficult and not the first one I have ever repaired by pulling them out. 

You might find mud dauber nests inside if you are lucky. 

I watched a few of the Youtube vids. I don't see where it can be lubed.  The motor looks like a sealed unit.

12 hours ago, VinceB said:

I watched a few of the Youtube vids. I don't see where it can be lubed.  The motor looks like a sealed unit.

I believe it is, and bushings vs bearings, but you can slip a drop of light machine oil (NOT WD-40!) on the shaft with the motor on it's side to get some lube into the bushings . . . . Manually spin the motor while you lube the bushings.

- bob