Sold my boat, Bought an RV. Now what? The Saga Continues

Dick Roberts

Learning so much so quickly, not to mention expensively. New tires are really expensive! I've dropped several thousand at CampWorld in 2 visits. Expected the first high dollar bill. But when the $330 '45 point inspection' on the second visit turned into almost 2k with over a thousand for labor, I about s***. Gonna avoid that place in the future I think. 

I did learn some things though. I learned that when he tested the slide, the trim above it stuck to the canopy and pulled loose the entire length of the slide. I think I can reattach it and reseal. Has anyone ever used that flex seal product? 

I found out my heart interface freedom 15 inverter/charger isn't. Not inverting or charging. Multiple posts mention the remote and the inverter both have an on/off switch. My inverter does, the remote does not. The remote looks similar to pics posted, but mine has a switch for the basement lights and a switch for the slide. The inverter hums when switched on, but no signs of charging while genny is running. No shore power available here to test that. Many have mentioned a fuse may be bad, but don't elaborate on where that fuse is located. This inverter may be original and just be old and done. Any ideas before I buy a new one?

Thanks for any ideas or thoughts.

When running the generator do you have power to other outlets???  There is a breaker on the generator and sometimes it trips, try turning it off and on again then check power at other outlets!!

Back in ~2013 my wife getting ready to go on a trip and couldn't get the emergency flashers to work.  I was in Spain on business when I called her and she said she had just dropped the rig of at Camping World>>>>YIKES.  I told her to go back and get it telling her it would have cost a fortune for CW to troubleshoot the problem ( just use the flashers on the Jeep if needed) I was slightly irritated.   I called CW and told them to stop what every they were doing and the wife was coming back to get the rig.  I think it still cost us ~$150. 

Later while I was working on something else I decided to test the emergency flashers and they worked.  So I left them on and searched for the relay.  It was buried in the front dash mixed in with a bunch of wires just attached to the wires.  No Way In Heck CW would have found it.  I bought a new relay and haven't had another problem. 

7 minutes ago, jacwjames said:

When running the generator do you have power to other outlets???  There is a breaker on the generator and sometimes it trips, try turning it off and on again then check power at other outlets!!

Back in ~2013 my wife getting ready to go on a trip and couldn't get the emergency flashers to work.  I was in Spain on business when I called her and she said she had just dropped the rig of at Camping World>>>>YIKES.  I told her to go back and get it telling her it would have cost a fortune for CW to troubleshoot the problem ( just use the flashers on the Jeep if needed) I was slightly irritated.   I called CW and told them to stop what every they were doing and the wife was coming back to get the rig.  I think it still cost us ~$150. 

Later while I was working on something else I decided to test the emergency flashers and they worked.  So I left them on and searched for the relay.  It was buried in the front dash mixed in with a bunch of wires just attached to the wires.  No Way In Heck CW would have found it.  I bought a new relay and haven't had another problem. 

When running the genny, I have power on both legs through the transfer switch and into the main breaker box. and out the breaker labeled Inverter. I haven't checked AC input at the inverter yet. Long drive back from CW and not much daylite left. I did check the bat voltage, both banks, with genny running and it made no difference whether or not the inverter was switched on or off, The voltage on both banks stayed the same, on or off. Both banks showed a slight increase with genny running vs no genny. 

My inverter does not have to be on for the charging system to work.  I have a Trace RV2012 inverter. 

You will have to dig into the electrical system and figure out what Monaco installed for charging both the house and chassis battery banks.  Usually while driving the alternator will charge both house and chassis.  BUT there are variations of what was used, a wiring diagram should help.

In my case I had a BIRD, Lambert 415 maintainer, and isolation solenoid.  While driving the BIRD would sense the alternator was charging and the isolation solenoid would close and both the chassis and house would charge.  While on shore power the Lambert 415 would charge the chassis batteries.   I started to have problems with my Lambert 415 maintainer so decided scrap all three components and replaced the isolation solenoid with a Bluesea MLACR which combines both chassis and house batteries when it senses a charge from either side.  Pretty much a bullet proof option and fairly cheap. 

Not sure if I get the mental picture of the slide issue you described, but you probably have an Omega slide that may have had the locks engaged at the time??? Post a picture if you can. There may be a Red Label covering the slide switches warning of this?

C53836BB-A720-47E5-A181-AF84D77983EE.png