Cruise control issues

ph1386

04 executive. I have lost my cruise control. When I push the on off button nothing happens. Also my windshield wipers any not working properly. You have to hold down the button to keep them going. Any ideas where to start? Thanks

Check your horn also. If it is not working as well, then it is for sure the clock spring.  Happened to me as well. It is not difficult to change but you would need a steering wheel puller to get the wheel off of the column to access it. The VIP columns are used in many semi trucks so parts should be available or try Veurinks in Michigan. They know Monaco's very good. 

I had them both go out on our 2009 Regal IV recently. I was able to fix the wipers by replacing the 25A fuse in the covered box within the bay under the drivers seat. The cruise only worked on res and at the last set speed, even if the coach was shut off and restarted. The set button worked intermittently, I could live with that as long as the wipers worked.

Bill

1 hour ago, willbo777 said:

If you have a smart wheel it could be your clock spring.  That's what happened to us.

We replaced the clock spring to find out it was our vip control module. 2006 Camelot 42dsq

Here is a link to the VIP Smartwheel troubleshooting guide

Some tests you can do. 

Also, under the steering column cover there is a wiring harness that goes down the side that sometimes causes problems.  Remove the shroud and look for a wiring harness connector and confirm it is tight. 

• Thanks 2

I have a 2000 dynasty. My issue was the clockspring got dirty- it just needed a couple of really good cleanings. 

Are your cruise and wipers buttons lighted? Mine are not. If they are lighted you have a four wire clockspring - it is a little cable. (and this would not be your solution).

Mine is a 2-wire - it has contacts riding on a brass(?) ring. The ring got dirty over time. 

what I did to clean it- steering wheel all the way up and flat, took off the plastic shroud. Got some Q-tips and dipped them in denatured alcohol and cleaned the ring. Turned the steering wheel occasionally. First time I did it - it lasted 6 months. Then cleaned it again - even better and it has been a year now. 

Good Luck!

11 hours ago, ph1386 said:

04 executive. I have lost my cruise control. When I push the on off button nothing happens. Also my windshield wipers any not working properly. You have to hold down the button to keep them going. Any ideas where to start? Thanks

Paul, I don't know that this will help you at all because so many of the guys who have a smart wheel feel like the clockspring is the problem.  All I know is that my cruise control quit working because I left my exhaust brake on while I was driving, rather than just using it when needed on downhills and momentarily to help slow down from highway speeds.  You might just glance at your exhaust brake switch and see if it is on, but this info is probably more useful to guys who have a "dumbwheel" like me. 🙂

Carey

29 minutes ago, birdshill123 said:

If your smart wheel needs a new controller the sm210 is available. If you have the 211 they have been on BO for well over a year. 

Bruce, what the different between the SM210 and SM211. Thanks

Ph1386,

You need to get the VIP troubleshooting document and go through the steps to help identify the issue.  2 pieces to the puzzle..

SM209/SM210 board OR Clock Spring

VIP uses 4 boards 209/210 are interchangeable… 211 & 213 are NOT - so you really need to verify which one you have and use the right testing document.

Doing the tests, you may find that the contacts need to be cleaned in the wiring harnesses so systems make good contact again.

best of luck.