Toilet seal & ball issues….draining dry the toilet

Terryjean

Depending on. The brand and middle of your toilet it is likely the seal or gasket around the "ball". These can be easily changed with a few tools as long as you have the dexterity to get down and change it. Follow the instructions exactly that come with the new gasket. In the mean time clean the existing gasket well and apply silicone grease to help in improving seal and water retension.

As 1nolaguy said it is not dat difficult. The model number is usually on the rear of the pedestal. Take a cell phone photo. Then search for a seal for that model.

when you take it apart, note the way the seal is installed so that the new seal is correctly installed. 

I just had that problem yesterday.  Turned off the water, opened the valve and stuck my hand in with tp.  Ran my fingers around the gasket and not sure if I rubbed a little Guber off or straightened a turned edge.   After, it held water so I did something right.   Lots of soap and hand sanitizer on the hand after.

Buy a box of nitrile gloves (Harbor Freight often puts the 5 mil in sale for about $6/100) you will be amazed at how often you will use them.

Lubing toilet gasket about once a quarter with silicone grease will greatly extend seal life and "a little dab will do ya" (showing my age)

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, 1nolaguy said:

Buy a box of nitrile gloves (Harbor Freight often puts the 5 mil in sale for about $6/100) you will be amazed at how often you will use them.

Lubing toilet gasket about once a quarter with silicone grease will greatly extend seal life and "a little dab will do ya" (showing my age)

Oh I have them and use a ton, but I needed to feel the edge of that gasket.   Hey many years back I changed a lot of diapers without gloves and lived 

• Like 1

• Tom Cherry changed the title to Toilet seal & ball issues….drawing dry the toilet
39 minutes ago, Deepseated said:

I have used Thetfort RV toilet seal lube and conditioner in the past and it's worked well, likely the easiest approach. 

Ditto.  You can also buy a small container of Plumber’s Silicone Grease at Lowe’s, Ace or HD.  These O-rings are rubber.  Do not use Vasolene on them….that is direct from Thetford.  As pointed out, removing the toilet and rebuilding and replacing the ball seal is an easy task.  The kits include the wax floor seal.  Just don’t be Superman when you tighten down the bowl to the floor.

I probably lubricate the ball and O-ring at least 2X annually, more of we are going to be out over a month or so.  That PM pays off…. NOW to be clear and precise….my experience is with the typical ball and O-ring seal.  Don’t forget to keep it open and do the lower half of the O-ring.  Sometimes you have to do a little cleaning and sanitizing and used a MARKED USED TOOTHBRUSH….to get off the crud and debris.  If it still leaks, examine the ball.  Hairline parting lines or scores from abrasion will show up and the only fix….replace and keep lubricated….

• Tom Cherry changed the title to Toilet seal & ball issues….draining dry the toilet

Thank you guys a lot that’s a lot of information however as I am a girl there’s no way I’m sticking my hand in that toilet😝 I will pass all this information to my husband and see if he can understand any of it because again I’m a girl and I can’t actually I choose not to😝tj