Bay lights - confused on function

Newcsn

Wondering if someone can explain how the bay light system is supposed to work on our 06 Dynasty? My assumption was that the lights should come on whenever the bay door is opened (hence the little plunger switch in each bay). However, the only way our bay lights come on is if we turn the bay light switch on that’s located on the passenger side switch panel - and all the bay lights come on whether the bay door is opened or not.

What am I missing here? Thanks 

9 minutes ago, Newcsn said:

Wondering if someone can explain how the bay light system is supposed to work on our 06 Dynasty? My assumption was that the lights should come on whenever the bay door is opened (hence the little plunger switch in each bay). However, the only way our bay lights come on is if we turn the bay light switch on that’s located on the passenger side switch panel - and all the bay lights come on whether the bay door is opened or not.

Me too.   Mine make me crazy and half don't seem to work any which way.

Interesting.  On my Cayman the only door that utilizes the plunger switch is the wet bay.  It is always powered. The rest of the bay lighting is controlled by the two three way switches at the passenger area as you mentioned, as well as in the wet bay beside the three way switch for the water pump.  
Have the majority of the plunger switches on your coach perhaps just been bypassed? They are quite cheaply made and prone to failure from what I’ve seen.  I suppose another issue could be they aren’t setup quite right? As in the door isn’t actually hitting the switch and therefore staying lit?

Edited by BradHend

When the switches are working correctly the lights will only work when the switch inside the coach is on and the doors are opened.

In other words, the door switches turn the lights OFF when the switch inside the coach is on.

Cheers,

-Jamie 

However, if you don't have the chime or other signal inside the coach, this is the way it works. The switch on the light simply enables or disables the light, regardless of door open or interior switch on.

Edited by OhReally
Different snowflake!
  • Like 1

I have an 05 Dynasty, the plunger switch function is to alert you the Bay door is open or not completely closed. The door plunger switch on my rig doesn't turn lights on or off. The passenger side switch does power all the Bay lights, there is a switch on each light if you don't want it coming on with main switch.

This is how my Bay lights and plunger switches function.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, Brian J said:

I have an 05 Dynasty, the plunger switch function is to alert you the Bay door is open or not completely closed. The door plunger switch on my rig doesn't turn lights on or off. The passenger side switch does power all the Bay lights, there is a switch on each light if you don't want it coming on with main switch.

This is how my Bay lights and plunger switches function.

Correct.  The plunger switches are connected to ground.  If the switch is ON….as in making a circuit because the bay door is open, then there is a GROUND a signal to the dash cluster and you get an alarm.  When the switch is OFF, as in the door is closed….good to go.  If some mouse or chafing occurs on the line…it runs the full length and each switch is parallel., then you light and chime are on.  There may be switches on the generator slide and the engine compartment.

I KNOW…a chafed wire was ugly and I finally got it where it did NOT rub the chassis,…

The main interior bay light switch powered all the lights….and you have a slide switch on each one.

My 05 Dynasty works the same as Brian J’s, I was always thinking that the switches were they to let you know that a basement door was ajar but I have no indicator light on the dash to warn me about that. Somewhere I read/heard that they warned you of a basement door that might be open when you wanted to extend or retract a slide out, not sure why you would need to know that, they don’t hit when a slide is out, unless there’s enough flex or vertical movement extending and retracting. Idk.

9 hours ago, BradHend said:

Interesting.  On my Cayman the only door that utilizes the plunger switch is the wet bay.  It is always powered. The rest of the bay lighting is controlled by the two three way switches at the passenger area as you mentioned, as well as in the wet bay beside the three way switch for the water pump.

Same for our 03 Endeavor.  Seems like the higher end units are set up slightly different.

- bob

Richard and others are correct. The pin switches are to warn you if the bay doors are open. On coaches that have the bay doors that open vertically, the pin switches were also a lock out switch for the slide outs to prevent them from moving if a bay door was open.

The bay lights could only be turned on or off with the rocker switch.

A simple fix is to install a motion detector switch in each bay and leave the switch on. The motion sensor will turn on the bay lights when the door is opened and turn them off when the door is closed.

Go here if interested; https://www.superbrightleds.com/pir-motion-sensor-switch-12-24-vdc-8-amps-pir-switch

Adjustment

Chuck B 2004 Windsor

18 hours ago, Newcsn said:

Adjustment  Chuck B 2004 Windsor

17 hours ago, Tom Cherry said:

Correct.  The plunger switches are connected to ground.  If the switch is ON….as in making a circuit because the bay door is open, then there is a GROUND a signal to the dash cluster and you get an alarm.  When the switch is OFF, as in the door is closed….good to go.  If some mouse or chafing occurs on the line…it runs the full length and each switch is parallel., then you light and chime are on.  There may be switches on the generator slide and the engine compartment.

I KNOW…a chafed wire was ugly and I finally got it where it did NOT rub the chassis,…

The main interior bay light switch powered all the lights….and you have a slide switch on each one.

My comments were what was explained to me by Monaco Tech Support and also Medallion Tech Support.  The backbone harness, at least ONE of them on my Camelot was shared with the Dynasty and above.  I moved a harness group or conglomeration of several harnesses in the black corrugated protestors….maybe 5 of them….then zip tied together into a mega configuration.  I was installing a fire protection cylinder in the engine compartment.  I had to move this whole mess on the passenger side so I could drill into the back bedroom closet and put the heads of the mounting bolts there and extend them into the rear.  After that….constant alarm and BIN OPEN light.  Took forever to convince Monaco that my Camelot did NOT have switches.  Then someone finally pulled the prints.  OPPS…there is a wire for an alarm and it does go into (hooked up) to the Medallion.  Then Medallion had to chase down the drawings…cut the blessed thing…. I now wonder if Monaco ran out of the Camelot cable with the wire.  The Medallion was also used on some Dynasties….

Bottom line….if you have pin or door plunger switches….they are an alarm.  And if the single wire gets chaffed and shorts to ground….and you have a dash cluster with the “Door/Bin” input…it WILL go off.  There are a LOT of other idiot lights, I was told, that might show up on the “startup” screen that are not connected….

many hours of carefully pushing and getting the wire away from a bare chassis corner were spent….and the cutters knew that “#XX on Wiring Connector YYY” had to be CUT…

7 hours ago, Tom Cherry said:

Bottom line….if you have pin or door plunger switches….they are an alarm.

Not always the case -  On my lower end ‘05 Cayman it has a plunger switch which controls the wet bay light. 

5 hours ago, BradHend said:

Not always the case -  On my lower end ‘05 Cayman it has a plunger switch which controls the wet bay light. 

Our wet bay has a plunger switch too but it seems to have  been disabled.  The wet bay is the one bay light that I have not been able to fix.   It and the cargo passthrough have some like old school cheap single bulb ceiling or wall lights with a slide switch on the light. So passenger's switch on and slide switch has to be on.    But a couple spots have hi intensity four or five led strips an inch or two long with a firm press button switch.   With a 2005 Ambassador, I am guessing the LEDs were. Not original.