air bag replacement on 07 Signature

grizzly

I read that a lot of you have replaced your air bags yourself. My question is how difficult is it and any special tools you need. FYI I grew up on a 2000ac farm and am very handy with tools and fixing most stuff. Just looking for advice. I know cost of bags is reasonable but finding someone to do work could be an issue where we are. Not a pressing issue but just looking for input. Thanks

2007 Monaco Signature Noble III Air Springs

All Air Springs on the coach are the same regardless of position, Steer, Drive, Tag

Steer Axle: Four Air Springs Conti Tech 99-12P 730 (AS8897) (64664)

Removal:  

1 ¼” wrench & Large Crescent - remove air nut first

1 1/8” Socket & Flex ratchet – remove fitting (fitting will not fit through the 1 1/8” hole)

¾” Socket – remove two upper and two lower nuts last & remove bag

Drill hole to at least 1 ¼” and fitting won’t have to be removed next time

Firestone W01-358-8897 with 3/4" inlet, W01-358-9376 with 1/4' inlet, Triangle AS-8730, TRP AS88970

9 9-12 P 730

Hockydiesel had some great tips such as breaking the air fitting off instead of unscrewing it, etc.

It's not a technical job but takes a variety of wrenches, ratchets and impact wrenches along with some strength and patience.

Edited by Hypoxia
  • Thanks 1

35 minutes ago, Hypoxia said:

2007 Monaco Signature Noble III Air Springs

All Air Springs on the coach are the same regardless of position, Steer, Drive, Tag

Steer Axle: Four Air Springs Conti Tech 99-12P 730 (AS8897) (64664)

Removal:  

1 ¼” wrench & Large Crescent - remove air nut first

1 1/8” Socket & Flex ratchet – remove fitting (fitting will not fit through the 1 1/8” hole)

¾” Socket – remove two upper and two lower nuts last & remove bag

Drill hole to at least 1 ¼” and fitting won’t have to be removed next time

Firestone W01-358-8897 with 3/4" inlet, W01-358-9376 with 1/4' inlet, Triangle AS-8730, TRP AS88970

9 9-12 P 730

Hockydiesel had some great tips such as breaking the air fitting off instead of unscrewing it, etc.

It's not a technical job but takes a variety of wrenches, ratchets and impact wrenches along with some strength and patience.

Thanks. 

Just now, grizzly said:

Thanks. 

Do you need to block anything up when you are removing the air bag so it doesn't come down?

You will of course need to block between h-frame and frame rails. I used 4x4 lumber but what ever is safe. I also found a small air impact very helpful where I did not have enough space to even make a ratchet wrench to click up top. Especially the bag by stair well would have been near impossible for me.

Just now, Ivan K said:

You will of course need to block between h-frame and frame rails. I used 4x4 lumber but what ever is safe. I also found a small air impact very helpful where I did not have enough space to even make a ratchet wrench to click up top. Especially the bag by stair well would have been near impossible for me.

Thought so. Thanks

Darn, I'm reasonably handy, but for some reason when I needed to replace mine (3 months in), I thought you would need to jack the frame. I took it to speedco and they charged me 100/bag to remove and install the new bags. Bracing the frame seems so obvious now. But I still didn't have the tools as I was full time newbe.😁 Live and learn!

• 1 year later...

I am told I need to replace my air bags on my 2008 signature, four rear and two front.

I would appreciate what is a " usual" fee, for the bag, fee for installation and is this a typical replacement?

I am in the Vegas area..

Monte 801 580 6333

What was the reason they told you to replace them? A lot of folks replace them themselves. Bags can be found for various prices if you look on line. Front are easier to replace yourself than the rear ones. Many links on here about that.

KOI am told I need to replace my air bags on my 2008 signature, four rear and two front.

I would appreciate what is a " usual" fee, for the bag, fee for installation and is this a typical replacement?

I am in the Vegas area..

Monte 801 580 6333

I was told dry rot 

1 Hour per bag is a usual time . Spray the fittings in advance with a 50/50 mixture of Acetone and ATF. The best penetrating agent I have ever found/used. Change the air fittings to a compression type that swivel. Once the blocks are in place, loosen the fittings, THEN  simply take a knife, or saws all and cut the bag out and remove. Ppl waist so much time trying to take them out in 1 piece.  Address the shocks condition as well. You may want to simply remove the wheels, do it all, and B done. Every time you R/R the wheel it's 100$.