Entry Step control board

I am stymied.  My electric step on my 2005 HR Scepter quit working.  The step itself works when powered up using just a battery, so clearly the motor is OK, and my diagnosis is that the controller has failed (corrosion of wires at circuit board resulted in wires coming loose from board.  Resoldering didn’t fix it.)  So I bought a replacement board from Veurinks.  Board is a Electric Step Control Module REV  164889  and is a rectangular one – not the one that has a triangular mounting plate as part of it and is for steps newer than 2006.  It seems like that is the only one available for Quickee steps prior to about 2006, and it looks like and connects the same as my old one.  In every picture I see of the Quickee step, mine looks like the Quickee.

The new board installs perfectly, but it doesn’t work.  I finally dug out a Quickee trouble shooting guide and went through it.  In step one, the step activated but when it was supposed to retract, it extended.  If I reverse the 12V power leads going to the step motor, it retracts ok but the connector doesn’t fit correctly.  Proceeding on with the troubleshooting guide, it just doesn’t work right, either with the motor power correctly hooked up or even reversed.  The troubleshooting guide says it is a defective module.  But the module is brand new.  I can’t even try the “last man out” feature of the guide because I can’t get the step in the right position to try it.

Have I just got a defective board, or did I buy the wrong board?  Any advice would be welcomed.

Dave Jones        

A couple of years ago my step stopped working in and out. 
02 Diplomat, so figure maybe the motor was shot. 
On that model of step the new motors require a new controller. 
so I take a small hammer and tap on the motor, voila the motor worked a couple of cycles and quit again. So I’m thinking theses motors open and close and stop in the same position every time. 
I take the motor off and take it to a shop that works on motors, had them clean up the commutator and put new brushes in it, reinstalled and it is working fine. 
$50 well spent. 

17 hours ago, daveyjo said:

I am stymied.  My electric step on my 2005 HR Scepter quit working.  The step itself works when powered up using just a battery, so clearly the motor is OK, and my diagnosis is that the controller has failed (corrosion of wires at circuit board resulted in wires coming loose from board.  Resoldering didn’t fix it.)  So I bought a replacement board from Veurinks.  Board is a Electric Step Control Module REV  164889  and is a rectangular one – not the one that has a triangular mounting plate as part of it and is for steps newer than 2006.  It seems like that is the only one available for Quickee steps prior to about 2006, and it looks like and connects the same as my old one.  In every picture I see of the Quickee step, mine looks like the Quickee.

The new board installs perfectly, but it doesn’t work.  I finally dug out a Quickee trouble shooting guide and went through it.  In step one, the step activated but when it was supposed to retract, it extended.  If I reverse the 12V power leads going to the step motor, it retracts ok but the connector doesn’t fit correctly.  Proceeding on with the troubleshooting guide, it just doesn’t work right, either with the motor power correctly hooked up or even reversed.  The troubleshooting guide says it is a defective module.  But the module is brand new.  I can’t even try the “last man out” feature of the guide because I can’t get the step in the right position to try it.

Have I just got a defective board, or did I buy the wrong board?  Any advice would be welcomed.

Dave Jones        

Do you have a volt meter?  I would use it to confirm you have power to the module and coming out of the module. 

Did you check your door connections. See my post above, as one of mine failed an caused the step to quit working. Spiced in new connector and step works. 

You might call Lippert and get advice on the new module you have. I found their customer service to be excellent. The tech was on the phone with me for half and hour. We went through everything. 

Here's hoping you get it resolved soon.

My control board(s) were mounted on the underside of the step assembly itself.  I went thru 3 or 4 boards over the years, til I got smart and re-located the most recent board inside the coach and out of the rain, dirt, slush, debris, etc, kicked up by the tire.  No problems since.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, RustyTools said:

Here's hoping you get it resolved soon.

My control board(s) were mounted on the underside of the step assembly itself.  I went thru 3 or 4 boards over the years, til I got smart and re-located the most recent board inside the coach and out of the rain, dirt, slush, debris, etc, kicked up by the tire.  No problems since.

That is a very good idea. Where in the coach did you mount it and where did you find the electrical connectors to extend the wires?  

3 minutes ago, RustyTools said:

I mounted the board pretty high up on the firewall above the genset (so it's not actually 'inside' the coach), and spliced in additional wires for it to reach to there.

That’s on my to do list. Thanks. 

Thanks for the suggestions on my controller board problem.  I recently posted about problems with a new control module for my 2005 HR Scepter power step.  I spent several days trying to solve my step issue, and thought I would post my solution in case someone else encounters the same problem.

I bought a Lippert Electric Step Control Module, REV  164889.  The package label says it is for all Lippert steps, but clearly it isn’t.  I installed it but it did not work.  After testing it against a Lippert test procedure, it appeared defective so I got a new one, which tested the same way.  My conclusion – I must be doing something wrong, so I went back to the drawing board.  I discovered that the Monaco wiring harness in my coach didn’t match up with the new control board, i.e., the red and yellow leads on the new module were reversed from that on my old module at the 4 prong connector, as well as reversed from the coach side wiring harness.  I reversed the red and yellow leads on the module, and it now works mostly.  (The coach red was +12V dc, the yellow 0 volts with ignition off, +12v with ignition on.) 

The only issue now is that, after extending, the steps won’t retract unless I turn the ignition on, which makes it hard to store the coach with the steps retracted.  But even that can be overcome if I turn the chassis power off, then back on while steps retract, and then off again.

The only module I could find for my 2005 Scepter is the one I bought, but there must be another module that would match the coach side connector and my old defective module.  FYI, Lippert does sell a different shape module for 2006 and newer coaches, so I clearly didn’t have the 2006 and newer module.

I hope this will help someone else solve a step issue.

Dave Jones