Tough Top Awnings

My ‘05 Cayman is in need of replacement fabric on both slide toppers, both window awnings and the large side awning.  I’m quite certain they are original. 
I have been looking into all the different vendors available and I stumbled across these folks.  Seem to have very good reviews and the price point is just too good to not look into.  Obviously I would prefer to go with Stone Vos, but unfortunately they are just a wee bit out of my budget for the coach at the moment….Basically I can do the whole coach with Tough Top for the price of the main awning through Stone Vos. 😯 Unfortunate, but it is what it is.  
I requested samples from the folks at Tough Top, which came today, and I must say it appears to be a pretty robust material.  I guess it’s some sort of proprietary vinyl blend with a stong middle mesh to hold it all together.  Claim better seams than OEM as well. 
Just curious if anyone in the membership has used their product and what you think of it, and is it lasting as well as they claim? 
Thanks. 

Edited by BradHend

19 minutes ago, Paul Busch said:

Are you doing the work yourself?

Thats the plan. If I run into issues along the way I’m sure YouTube can help me out. 

I replaced the two slide toppers on my former 2001 Diplomat from tough top. Were recommended by The RV Geeks and they have a You Tube showing install. Tough Top was very good to work with and I was very happy with their product. Installed the bedroom cover by myself and had the wife help with the living room slide because of the length. Sold the coach but they still are looking and working well. Went with the white vinyl and found it easy to clean. Vinyl worked very well in the wetter PNW. Good luck if you choose to work with them. 

Tough Top vinyl awnings are very good quality.  But, if you want the absolute best from a warranty, price, and quality perspective, then go with SunPro via: https://sunpromfg.com/

I replaced all of my awnings with SunPro.  They are amazing and have a much better warranty than Tough Top awnings with a better price / value than Tough Top awnings.

I am not affiliated with SunPro or Tough Top.  I'm just another Monaco owning RVer that had to replace all of my awnings.

13 hours ago, Ivylog said:

3 of the 4 slide topper’s have enough unused fabric to cut off the used and re-sew all 4 sides. Better than new if you use UV thread. I cut off most of the used on the LR big slide and re-sew.

I rotated the fabric on both of my narrow curbside slides.

Didn't have to cut and re-sew at all! The previously exposed fabric now stays rolled up on the tube.

• Like 3

@throgmartin

Chris was running a semi retirement business early on in the group.  He was making custom Toppers.  My OEM 2009 were sagging and I had the “Carefree” rash.  For those not familiar, the later Carefree design had the fabric rubbing against the cover.  A “genius” 09 Camelot owner solved that by buying clear or black door edge guard strips in rolls from AutoZone.  I put mine on and then the “rash or eventuality ripping” failure slowed down.

Chris was experimenting with different vinyls and many of his “Prevost” customers as well as Prevost themselves were switching to Vinyl.  I was the first “Monacoer” to switch.  There was an issue and Chris remade one,  His dimensions and precision sewing was NOT the issue.  My drop down slide with a refrigerator on one end was the problem.  No amount of custom angled seams would work….bad DESIGN.  So, one awning sags a bit and ponds water….the first one was like a lake and the vinyl is like a puddle.  8 years later….they’re perfect….

Chris gave me the standard “Monacoers” discount….and will not even send me a bottle of Crown Royal when I post something like this.

My only recommendation….after years of being a “Sunbrella” freak….compare them to Vinyl and let Chris quote….you may be surprised….

He makes custom ones and, back then, had a nice list of nationwide trusted installers…..

Great information everyone.  
As always, I appreciate you all taking the time to respond.  
Looks like I have some more research to do before I make my final decision.  Will post my decision and hopefully results in early spring. 

@throgmartin, You still in the awning/slide topper side hustle? Perhaps we could do some business. 

Edited by BradHend

1 hour ago, Tom Cherry said:

@throgmartin

My drop down slide with a refrigerator on one end was the problem.  No amount of custom angled seams would work….bad DESIGN.  So, one awning sags a bit and ponds water….the first one was like a lake and the vinyl is like a puddle.  8 years later….they’re perfect….

Yeah, I think that will always be an issue on that deep slide! Luckily, we can stop our slide retraction to allow runoff, then continue retraction.

I was looking at a newish Dutch Star parked next to us last year. All toppers have a good bit more slope to them than ours!