Key Fob Programming - 2003 Executive

Gene Y

2 hours ago, Bill R said:

@Just Jim The picture of the white louvered cover in your bathroom is most likely a temp sensor cover for your A/C.   Take it off and look to see. 

BINGO.  That IS a Remote Temperature sensor.  OK...this is OFF subject, slightly, but a learning experience for you... I went through our file prints for a 2003 Dynasty....but the models and years for the HVAC layout were released for the Exec as well.  

You have, I believe 3 AC's.  There is probably 2 thermostats.  The front one MAY have a similar Remote up front.  One drawing (memory) shows a remote sensor and the other shows that the Temp Sensor inside the Thermostat is the "sensor"

The Rear section, with 3 AC's, shows a rear thermostat and the middle AC is controlled by a Remote Sensor....but it says it is in the "Hall".  Again....Monaco had this nasty habit of "NOT" making it like the print. That sensor is where the Rear Thermostat gets its "temp reading" for the Zone 2 (middle) AC (furnace?)

BUT, Bottom Line....that Sensor controls the middle AC....and maybe the heat....

So you should have THREE zones total.  One up front and Two on the rear Thermostat.  Look through your manual and the prints.  Our file (scanned) had them "randomly" out there.....

• Tom Cherry changed the title to Key Fob Programming - 2003 Executive

hey Walter,

your notes:

Updated wiring:
Original Box Wiring>>>>>>>>New Avital box wiring
Red(Constant 12v)>>>>>>>>>>Red
Green/Black(Lock)>>>>>>>>>>White/Green
Blue/Black(Unlock)>>>>>>>>>>White/Red
Purple/White(Unlock BayDoors)>>Red/White
White(Parking Lights)>>>>>>>>White
Black/White(Dome Light)>>>>Black/White
Black, Black/White,Violet, Violet/Black(Grnd)>>Black, Gray

So, I'm trying to match up your wiring notes to what I have. 

My existing wiring does not have a green/black wire or a blue/black wire.  I assume you mean a green wire with black stripe or something similar to that?  The existing wiring does have a black and a white/black.  The new wiring does not have a white/green or a white/red.  It does have a Red/white and two black/white wires.  

So would love some clarity on your instructions above.  Does black, black/white, violet, violet/black mean to tie all those together and connect to the black, and grey?  You have the black/white listed twice... once going to the black/white and also to the black and gray. 

In looking at the new wiring harness that I received, it seems to match what you have listed as the original wiring.  Perhaps you have the titles switched?  Original should be the new Avital box?  I'm still missing a few of the wires for what I have as existing... but maybe I can figure it out.

2 hours ago, Just Jim said:

hey Walter,

your notes:

Updated wiring:
New Avital box wiring>>>>>>>>Original Box Wiring
Red(Constant 12v)>>>>>>>>>>Red
Green/Black(Lock)>>>>>>>>>>White/Green
Blue/Black(Unlock)>>>>>>>>>>White/Red
Red/White(Unlock BayDoors)>>Purple/White
White(Parking Lights)>>>>>>>>White
Black/White(Dome Light)>>>>Black/White
Black, Black/White,Violet, Violet/Black(Grnd)>>Black, Gray

My existing wiring does not have a green/black wire or a blue/black wire.  I assume you mean a green wire with black stripe or something similar to that?  The existing wiring does have a black and a white/black.  The new wiring does not have a white/green or a white/red.  It does have a Red/white and two black/white wires.  

So would love some clarity on your instructions above.  Does black, black/white, violet, violet/black mean to tie all those together and connect to the black, and grey?  You have the black/white listed twice... once going to the black/white and also to the black and gray. 

In looking at the new wiring harness that I received, it seems to match what you have listed as the original wiring.  Perhaps you have the titles switched?  Original should be the new Avital box?  I'm still missing a few of the wires for what I have as existing... but maybe I can figure it out.

Ha! Sorry. I think my instructions would be more useful if the titles were not reversed. Looks like it should be New Avital on the left and Original Box on the right. 

Q- "Does black, black/white, violet, violet/black mean to tie all those together and connect to the black, and grey?" Yes

Q- "You have the black/white listed twice... once going to the black/white and also to the black and gray". You should have two Black/Whites on the avital (positions 3&4 on the plug). Position 3 in the plug goes to ground and position 4 goes to the old Black/White, but which one goes where probably doesn't matter. As I recall, this feature wasn't used in the original configuration. 

The wireless box works by supplying a "signal" to an output wire. Take the input/output pair of wires 3&4 for example. Wire 3 is the signal "input" for the domelight and wire 4 is the signal "output" for the domelight. Our application uses negative signals, so the signal input wire is connected to ground. If some or all of the input wires were connected to 12v+, they would provide 'positive signals'.

When the box calls for the domelight to come on, it provides a 'negative signal' to the domelight relay by connecting the domelight output (#4) to ground (#3). This completes the circuit of a relay coil and causes a relay to close.

That's why all those wires are connected together and go to black and gray in the harness. As I recall, the black and gray wires are crimped together in the same pin in the harness, so I crimped them both together with all the wires in the avital pigtail. But you could just clip off the gray wire and use just the black wire. Wire position 11 is ground for the wireless unit, and all of the other wires connected with it are ground 'inputs' for the various functions.

avital2.jpg

Edited by wamcneil

making progress.  The new key fobs open the entrance door.  However, my coach does not have a "dome light" and there was no wire in the harness to connect the 2nd black/white wire to.  The parking lights do not flash either, not a big deal on this... just a "cool" factor.  I did plug in the little LED light and I guess it gives the impression that there is a security alarm.  I may mount that somewhere, don't really like the idea of a hole in my dash though. 

Lastly, you mention changing a switch to make the baggage doors work.  I opened the box and there is a red fuse in there and another connection.  Sorry, but I don't know what you mean by "swapping a jumper".  Pull the fuse out?  Anyway, I am glad to at least be making progress and feel like I'm close.  If I could jump that swapper I think I'd have it made.  LOL.

Jim

Yeah, I remember having to do some head scratching to figure out the jumper. It was for the parking light flashing  

Heres what the manual says:
H1/10 WHITE (+/-) Parking Light Flash Output
This wire provides a high current + or - output to flash the parking lights (+ is factory default
setting). This is suitable for driving (-) light control wires in Toyota, Lexus, BMW, some Mitsubishi,
some Mazda, etc. If the vehicle has a negative parking light circuit, the light flash jumper on the
control module must be moved.

There’s a little electrical jumper spanning two pins on the circuit board somewhere. I’m not looking at mine, and I don’t remember where it was. It’s probably 3 pins on the circuit board with a little plastic jumper spanning two of the pins. Move it over one pin so it connects the other pins. 
The “dome” light is the set of overhead lights in the front. They’re connected to a switch and also to a relay. There’s no black/white in the old wireless pigtail, but if you look at the plug on the coach side of the pigtail, you should find a black/white wire in the plug with no corresponding wire on the wireless side. Splice into that wire and it’ll make the front overhead lights come on for 1-min when you unlock the door. 

Edited by wamcneil

9 hours ago, wamcneil said:

Yeah, I remember having to do some head scratching to figure out the jumper. It was for the parking light flashing  

Heres what the manual says:
H1/10 WHITE (+/-) Parking Light Flash Output
This wire provides a high current + or - output to flash the parking lights (+ is factory default
setting). This is suitable for driving (-) light control wires in Toyota, Lexus, BMW, some Mitsubishi,
some Mazda, etc. If the vehicle has a negative parking light circuit, the light flash jumper on the
control module must be moved.

There’s a little electrical jumper spanning two pins on the circuit board somewhere. I’m not looking at mine, and I don’t remember where it was. It’s probably 3 pins on the circuit board with a little plastic jumper spanning two of the pins. Move it over one pin so it connects the other pins. 
The “dome” light is the set of overhead lights in the front. They’re connected to a switch and also to a relay. There’s no black/white in the old wireless pigtail, but if you look at the plug on the coach side of the pigtail, you should find a black/white wire in the plug with no corresponding wire on the wireless side. Splice into that wire and it’ll make the front overhead lights come on for 1-min when you unlock the door. 

Thanks so much Walter.  The "jumper" is a small fuse and three plugs.  I swapped the fuse over to the other plug and I have flashing lights and my baggage doors lock and unluck.  Now that I know all that works.  I'll order the new keypad.  Thanks again.  Your info was essential!!!

• Thanks 1