Shade upgrade

dleeadkins

I want to add a motorized windshield day night shade to my 2002 Monaco Windsor 40PKDD. I need a straight line from the “A” pillar on the drivers side to the passenger side of the coach. To get that I will have to cut down the old TV cabinet that encroaches on that line. Has anyone done this? Do you have any ideas about what worked for you? 

35A4CFC7-0D2D-44F3-9822-690A8F02DA18.jpeg

7E96EE69-C87F-4960-9D22-823EA59AC15D.jpeg

37D322D6-68A4-43D8-9B53-B79F6BDCD0B9.jpeg

9C56DEAF-F023-4D1D-B047-CA497E1CE3EA.jpeg

I removed the old Television and replaced with a swing mount. As you can see in the pictures nothing but wires were behind the old television. I used the wood that I removed from the old tv installation to fab the front and door to match the other cabinets. We found matching vinyl to cover the bottom. I don’t have a picture of the door but it matches the other cabinet doors. 

C77966FE-4570-40C7-9DAF-2C02FBF8CA2B.jpeg

A36FC712-0A51-4DFA-9741-347AF17112ED.jpeg

66F0B2C5-0892-4F12-AA19-DEBC1A366C01.jpeg

A3644B24-D15D-4E37-BC6D-7E8EF15F993B.jpeg

9ECCD6DD-0EB4-4A39-BCB9-56A8B9FC2ECD.jpeg

• Like 1

I pulled out mine and cut it down substantially.
The center cabinet should come out pretty easily. Screws into the side cabinets and into the ceiling. Then you can put it on a bench and decide how to cut it. Mine was assembled with mainly pocket screws. So I was able to take it apart and cut down various pieces, and reassemble without having to mess with staining and refinishing. 

• Like 1

Guest Ray Davis
1 hour ago, wamcneil said:

I pulled out mine and cut it down substantially.
The center cabinet should come out pretty easily. Screws into the side cabinets and into the ceiling. Then you can put it on a bench and decide how to cut it. Mine was assembled with mainly pocket screws. So I was able to take it apart and cut down various pieces, and reassemble without having to mess with staining and refinishing. 

As Walter stated the TV cabinet comes out amazingly easily, just a lot of screws.   I doubt any of you still have the big old CRT glass tube TV but if you do that was the biggest problem for me, that sucker was heavy.   I cut my cabinet to make it less of a head knocker and was 90% successful, almost no one has hit their head since.   My cuts were to raise the bottom and move the front back, I think it turned out great and I'm not a woodworker.   When you have removed the cabinet you will see a significant imprint on the vinyl ceiling.  I dealt with that by leaving the top intact and cutting a curve in the side panels where the side now turns down  I have a wood router that hadn't been used in yrs, found a bit that matched, routed the new cut edges, daubed a little stain, and wala you can't even tell.  Donald the OP will be cutting the back portion of his cabinet and may not be concerned with the imprint on the ceiling.  He could sand the slight radius of the back not need a router.

Oh, I did buy a jig or drill guide at Lowes for the pocket screws, maybe $20

Edited by Ray Davis